blocked drains

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by DrFeelgood, Jan 24, 2010.

1. st13phil

st13phil MB Enthusiast

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    My advice would be to call your Water Co. I'm in the Thames Water area and a couple of years ago I had a foul drain block up on Boxing Day. With 10 guests due to arrive for dinner in about 4 hours time I needed to get something done fast, so called Thames Water who told me that if the blockage was in their pipework it would be a free callout, but otherwise it would be chargeable - fair enough.

Being between a rock and a very nasty, gooey, smelly, place I figured all I could do was bend over and hope it didn't hurt too much. Boy was I in for a shock! The charge would be...... £65 as long as the guy could clear it within the first 30mins. £65? On Boxing Day morning? OK, says I, you're on! Less than 90 mins later the bloke had arrived, cleared the drain and departed with £65 for them and a tenner tip for his trouble :thumb:

2. CE230

CE230 Active Member

Car:
    230CE
    Same here and they are under the impression that it is a shared sewer as they have no plans.

3. Beetnik

Beetnik Active Member

Car:
    Volvo V60 2.4 bi-turbo: SLK 200
    Do you have a large diameter pipe or a thin neighbour? :bannana:

4. OP
    OP
    DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 740Li
    Just to let you know and so the thread is complete.

I called Welsh Water and they called out to rod the drains - didn't work as I told them that I couldn't clear this way.

They, reluctantly, called the next day and cleared from the neighbour's side. Apparently the drain rises slightly under the neighbour's land!

Anyway, all done and I didn't have to do anything unpleasant a second time. In fact I was up in London while it was all going on.

2 people like this.
Tags: