blocked drains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 6183

Hope you're not eating!

Drains are blocked again, has happened twice in the last year which I unblocked easily with rods.

Over the last week the familiar symptoms showed so I got the rods out this morning, Removed the cover and the hole was pretty full and Friday night's curry in evidence.

This time the rods wouldn't clear it, I shoved them in nealy all the way and was stopped by a solid object. I poked this a good bit but no movement.

Any ideas before I give the man from Dynorod all my money?

I'm really hoping that it's not a collapsed drain.

Hope you're not eating!

Drains are blocked again, has happened twice in the last year which I unblocked easily with rods.

Over the last week the familiar symptoms showed so I got the rods out this morning, Removed the cover and the hole was pretty full and Friday night's curry in evidence.

This time the rods wouldn't clear it, I shoved them in nealy all the way and was stopped by a solid object. I poked this a good bit but no movement.

Any ideas before I give the man from Dynorod all my money?

I'm really hoping that it's not a collapsed drain.

I find a hose poked up from the non blocked endhelps,especially if you can put compressed air & water down it, probably is a broken drain, might be a bit of root

last time we had a problem we gave in and called local water board (anglian water for us) and it turned out to be a bigger problem with the (fairly) local pumping station and many folk in our row were getting blockages etc; anyway they sorted it all out pretty quickly no charge

so, perhaps what I am saying is, do your neighbours have similar issues

I find most councils are reasonable when it comes to sorting things like this. Almost certainly you need a camera down there. A contractor could spend a lot of time on this and still not properly fix it. Check with your house insurer (buildings) first, you may be covered. I'm assuming you're a home owner and not tenant.

Thanks, I'll call the water company tomorrow as a first action.

Will try and find the house insurance dox as well.

I can recommend Dyno-Rod.

I've had to call them out on two separate occasions, and they arrived within an hour of calling each time. On the second occasion the blockage was caused by my neighbour at the bottom of my garden - but Dyno-Rod's veerry long clearing head from my storm drain to theirs sorted the problem.

Fortunately, Dyno-Rod is part of my British Gas drainage cover insurance policy - so it didn't cost anything extra.

http://www.dyno.com/consumer/drains/blocked-drains

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll call the water company tomorrow as a first action.

Will try and find the house insurance dox as well.

It depends which water company you come under as to whether they would be interested in drains. They are only usually responsible for incoming mains water. I would think you would be best with your local council, check their website. They don't always charge you, especially if the obstruction is not on your property such as under the pavement. Even if it is on your property then a couple of cups of tea for the workmen usually end up with a report saying it isn't!

the water board cleared our waste water problem, free of charge and anti-social hours - considering you would pay sewerage on your water rates I don't understand why they wouldn't assist with a blockage, as the local council will only be interested in storm water drains

the water board cleared our waste water problem, free of charge and anti-social hours - considering you would pay sewerage on your water rates I don't understand why they wouldn't assist with a blockage, as the local council will only be interested in storm water drains

Totally agree with you but some councils take the responsibility for basic sanitation (Charnwood borough council certainly do) and as a consequence Severn Trent step back and let them do it!

You're looking at £100 + to get the drains jetted in my experience.

Money well spent imho.

Ade

You're looking at £100 + to get the drains jetted in my experience.

Money well spent imho.

Ade

Yes it would be but this happened before so I suspect will happen again unless he gets a camera down and finds out what the problem is and not just take care of the symptom (blockage). Lets wish him the best of luck!

Yes it would be but this happened before so I suspect will happen again unless he gets a camera down and finds out what the problem is and not just take care of the symptom (blockage). Lets wish him the best of luck!

Fair point. Likely to be roots, something hard to shift (tile grout, plaster etc.) or a collapsed pipe as stated on here. Jetting and a CCTV survey is the best way forward.

Ade

I used to do CCTV surveys on drains in Manchester when I was a youngster, 21, happy days.
If the OP has trees it could be tree root damage, or misaligned pipework causing 'lips'.
If Lew has the pigs tail attachment for the rods he could screw it into the blockage and bring some back to have a look, ewwwww...

Fair point. Likely to be roots, something hard to shift (tile grout, plaster etc.) or a collapsed pipe as stated on here. Jetting and a CCTV survey is the best way forward.

Ade

Hmmm, had lots of work done last year including tiling and plastering.

I used to do CCTV surveys on drains in Manchester when I was a youngster, 21, happy days.
If the OP has trees it could be tree root damage, or misaligned pipework causing 'lips'.
If Lew has the pigs tail attachment for the rods he could screw it into the blockage and bring some back to have a look, ewwwww...

I tried to screw into the blockage but it was too solid.

I mentioned the curry earlier because the liquid was red/yellow. After my poking about it seemed a darker colour, earth?

Too much information? :(

Hmmm, had lots of work done last year including tiling and plastering.

Sadly, based on experience - builders like to wash their mixing buckets in the sink when you're not looking..

They blocked my kitchen drain after doing the bathroom... didn't properly clog up for about 6 months. We had to cut sections of pipework out and replace it. :rolleyes:

Hope its something straightforward. Our foul drains were jetted last year. It was roots between the 2nd manhole and main sewer and will probably need doing again at some point..

Ade

We jet drains and CCTV as part of our business, it sounds like you do have a problem with the drain pipe, are there tree roots nearby or the pipe may have had a leak at a joint which washes the fines away in the soil causing the ground to be washed away under the pipe causing the pipe to collapse. You need to find out what the problem is so you can hopefully sort it properly. I would recommend to get the pipes jetted then survey with CCTV. I would suggest a price of around £200 plus VAT for both to be carried out. Depending on what is found you may be able to claim for the repairs and the survey etc on you house insurance. Good luck with sorting the problem.

How old is your house?

I ask because mine is pre 1930 and as such the water company are liable for my drains :D

On average I call them twice per year to clear blockages that my rods won't reach or shift. They call a jetter or whatever is appropriate, who turns up and does the job. No money ever changes hands. They even paid for a camera to be put down there.

If your house is old enough it's worth a call.

How old is your house?

I ask because mine is pre 1930 and as such the water company are liable for my drains :D

On average I call them twice per year to clear blockages that my rods won't reach or shift. They call a jetter or whatever is appropriate, who turns up and does the job. No money ever changes hands. They even paid for a camera to be put down there.

If your house is old enough it's worth a call.

1971, unfortunately.

I've been too busy too even think about this today and won't be properly in the same town as the house until Friday.

I'm going to leave the gates open and see if I can call either the council, water co or dyno-rod from the car over the next couple of days and see who wil go out and have a look.

Hope to get them flowing by the weekend as we'll both be home by then.

do not use dyno-rod. they are useless. i work for BG and they are the most problematic part of the business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom