Blocked windscreen washers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedderd

Car
E270CDi
Any one had their windscreen washers stop working ? Mine is a W213 (E) on a 17 plate.

Main dealers say we will clear it, but if it is just a blockage it is not manufacturer warranty and want to charge £95+VAT.

I said I would try myself first !

Just seeing if anyone else has had this ??

You can buy washer jet cleaning tools on eBay really cheap. They have tiny needles you can pop into the holes.

Thanks. I haven't had a good look yet, but I am assuming it is not the jet outlet as both sides went at the same time.

Must be a blockage between the pump and the splitter (assuming that is the layout)

Have a look at the filer around the pump in the reservoir, I have had that block up before. As you say both at the same time points to earlier in the system than the jets.

Mixing different windscreen washes can sometimes develop into a 'splodge' within the system.

Make certain a pipe has not come of serving both the nozzles,it is rare to get both to block,it could also be the little pump that has given up.

As has been said, it is possible that 2 incompatible screen washes have been mixed.
This can cause the screen wash to become thick, and it will not pass through the fine nozzles.
I've not heard of anyone having a problem on here before, but it is a known problem in the Porsche world.

As has been said, it is possible that 2 incompatible screen washes have been mixed.
This can cause the screen wash to become thick, and it will not pass through the fine nozzles.
I've not heard of anyone having a problem on here before, but it is a known problem in the Porsche world.

BMWs are notorious for it - it's like BMW use fluid which reacts with everything else.

If you can hear the pump running and none of the washers are working; front and rear, I reckon it is the pump filter. Empty the reservoir and lift it out after releasing any clips. In the bottom of the tank slide the pump out part way and remove the little filter on the bottom end. Clean the bottom end and also the inlet on the side of the filter. Blow it out and replace. Hopefully all good now. Half an hours work!

If any mates have an ultrasonic cleaner, you could drop the heads in for an hour...

@pedderd , did you ever get this sorted?
Post up your fix as it may help others.:)

^+1 - my front screenwash is dribbling both sides but the rear works fine!

^+1 - my front screenwash is dribbling both sides but the rear works fine!

Disconnect the supply pipe at the head, operate washers to see if you have a good water flow.
If not maybe a weak pump, (cheap online) or a blocked line.

If yes, washer jets blocked, get a set of washer tools (cheap online), or ask mates “anyone got an ultrasonic cleaner ( not so cheap for a decent one) or search the bay for replacement heads (s/h is ok).

I have yet to figure how to operate the washers with the bonnet open as this clever car of mine won't let me! Also after a quick look under the bonnet I can't see any of the pipework near the nozzles - which are in the scuttle rather than in the bonnet!

It'll have to wait, as there are a number of things on the "honey do" list I'm getting aggro about!:(:(:(

OK, an update - and still problems. 2008 S204 C220Cdi.

Yesterday I found that by opening the bonnet then using a screwdriver to move the 2 latches back to the closed position the car is fooled into thinking the bonnet is closed so the wash/wipe operates with the bonnet up. Just remember to pull the bonnet releaase before re-closing the bonnet!!

The plastic covers over the jets unclip with the help of a screwdriver blade. I also discovered that the jet itself is just a push fit clip-in - managed to uncip the OS drivers jet accidentally, but luckily was able to clip it back into place!

The supply pipe to the 3 washer jets is a black braided type pipe along the top of the nearside wing which then disappears under the scuttle to feed the jets. I was able to remove the 4 plastic push pin things holding the front end of the plastic scuttle cover, but could not remove the drivers side wiper - got the cover and nut off, but could not pull the arm free of the operating rod, so was not able to lift the back end of the scuttle cover!

Anyway, I was able to feel under the scuttle and find that the feed pipe extends past the offside drivers side jet - it's in a metal clip and was quite tight to get out, pull it towards the front of the car - and has a plastic plug in the end. I was able to get at this plug (pulled the pipe end through a slit in the cover), and by turning the plug with pliers removed the plug. Tried the washer, got what looked like reasonable flow from the pipe.

I have a 12v compressor with an adaptor that fitted into the end of the supply pipe, so used that to blow air into the pipe - tried the washer with the compressor running, no change in washer performance, even after using a fine pin into the jets. OS Drivers side jet blowing mist. Covering that jet with my finger, the other 3 jets worked much better! Compressor off the OS drivers side jet dribbles like the other 2 jets.

While I was at it I also checked the tailgate wash/wipe - working perfectly. Does this have a separate pump?

Initially I was topping the reservoir up, but then I pushed my garden hose as far as I could into the reservoir, turned the tap on full and let it run hoping to flush any crud out - did not see any, and saw no difference when trying the wash/wipe any number of times (I played with the damned thing for over an hour!). I did notice that the wash would cut out after about 10-15 seconds, but would reset as soon as I released the operating knob on the steering column stalk.

So - what's the prognosis from here - a trip to my local indie, who thankfully is only a mile away, but is it likely to be just a filter on the pump outlet, crud in the feed pipe (would have thought the amount of use I gave the system yesterday would have flushed that our) or a new pump? I'm not about to investigate under the NS wheel arch myself, the body is not up to that type of stuff any more!

I have exactly the same problem in my 17 plate C220d which I’ve only owned for 2 months. I could argue with dealer Mercedes Swindon to see if they will look at this under warranty but I’m pretty sure it is a blocked filter, or similar so I’m not hopeful. I would also have to take a day off work and travel 30 plus miles each way to get it looked at, so I’m going to book it in at my local garage to look at first. So ... if any easy solution crops up, I would be very interested to hear about it (but I’m not mechanicalLy minded in any sense)!!

OK, an update - and still problems. 2008 S204 C220Cdi.

So - what's the prognosis from here - a trip to my local indie, who thankfully is only a mile away, but is it likely to be just a filter on the pump outlet, crud in the feed pipe (would have thought the amount of use I gave the system yesterday would have flushed that our) or a new pump? I'm not about to investigate under the NS wheel arch myself, the body is not up to that type of stuff any more!

can you hear the pump run?

I can hear the pump run, but the "jets" of water barely reach the wiper arms in the parked position let alone getting into the swept area! Conversely the rear wash works perfectly normally, but I don't know if that's off the same pump or a separate one.

could be the non-return valves in the jets (Assuming MB has those) - I have had those dry out before through lack of use.

Cheaper washer fluid can also aggregate the situation, making the valves more prone to sticking closed / partially closed.

can you source some new jets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom