Blocked windscreen washers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've Googled for them with no joy, either "out of stock" or the photo does not look like mine! Also gettint to them would be a mission as I cannot remove the plastic cover over the scuttle.

Forgot to add, I have a set of welder's cleaning files for cleaning the jets of an oxy acetylene "gas axe", used them on the jets yesterday, little or no improvement.

Stopped by my local indie on the way home today, turns out the inner of the 2 drivers side jets is leaking - apparently there's a ball that seals off a spare outlet and that's gone walkabout. Need to source a repacement jet from MB Ashford tomorrow then get it fitted, would be a D~IY job for a healthy person but I'll get my indie to do it.

Hope he's right! Should be a cheap replacement, less than £20 for the replacement jet and a few bob for Ben to fit it, we'll see, and I'll update the outcome. However, the interesting question is why the closing ball from the spare outlet on that jet should suddenly go missing, as the screenwash was working fine then suddenly wasn't.

Guess what - MB do not supply just the replacement jet for my car, it's the full hose + all 3 nozzles for £72 (MBNewcastle, really helpful) which not only means pulling the scuttle but also front NS wheel off and front part of wheel arch liner out to get to the pump and attach the new pipe! At least an hour's labour at my indie. Part number is A204 860 1892 for cars without heated windscreen, MB Ashford told me the possible reason MB only supply the full kit is that the old part has been superceded and has heated nozzles - mine does not so well done (not) MB Ashford!

So, as Ben got the offending nozzle visible yesterday, once the rain stops I'll have a look and see if I can plug the leak spot with araldite or similar.

Thanks XJ600, printed and saved! Confirms why I could not remove the wiper arm - special puller tool needed! Surprised they don't say remove the NS front wheel before removing front section of wheel arch liner, makes access so much easier (I had to do this on my 203).

As I can now see the underside of the middle jet as well as the OS one, I can see the small shiny ball in the OS one that is missing from the middle one. I've filled the hole where the ball should be with Araldite, will leave it 24 hours before trying the screenwash, if the Araldite plug works I've just saved myself well over £100 - £72 for the replacement full hose and jets kit plus probably an hour of my indies' time. Fingers crossed.

Well, tried the screenwash, first squirt, squeals of joy, middle (and other 2) jet working properly. Re-installed, tried again, NS working fine, nothing from middle and dribble from OS. Pulled it apart again so I could see the underside of the middle jet, press screenwash button, water pissing our of the bottom of the middle jet again.

Long visit to the swear box, decided enough was enough, adjourned to try to think of a cheap plan B rather than the expensive option!

Well this appears to be a common problem. I took mine back to dealer today and they too had to replace the whole length of hose and nozzles. All done and dusted within 45 minutes though...and under warranty (result)

Well this appears to be a common problem.

I suspect you're correct, as MB Ashford, MB Maidstone and MB Newcastle all have the required "part" in stock - although MB Ashford quoted the new part that apparently superceded the old part - but has electrics for heated jets, which from the WIS document linked above is for model code 204.0 with Option code 875 Heated Windshield Washer System - which my car does not have!

Interestingly the WIS document is also for models 207, 212 and 218, so they must use exactly the same hose and nozzle system.

Hi all,

Didn't realise I had so many replies.

Still got the issue, but here's what I did. I unclipped the nearest washer jet from the u/s of the bonnet, pulled off the hose. Then I took a bicycle pump with a small plastic nozzle that fitted nicely in the end of the hose and blasted away. You can here the washer fluid bubbling in the reservoir.

Well, it worked ! BUT, a week later and it is gunked up again :-(

So, I am thinking there must be lots of gunk in the reservoir and ideally I would like to remove it and give it a clean.

The reservoir however looks impossible to remove. Anyone know how to access to this ??

Jack up and remove front NS wheel, I think there's an access hatch in the front of the wheel arch liner that gives access to the pump and reservoir, if not or access inadequate it's release the wheel arch liner to get adequate access - all in all a bit of a PITA, have not done it to the 204 but had to do it to the S203 years ago chasing down a leak!

Possibly worth first pushing your garden hose as far down the filler tube as you can, turn it on full and let it run for a while, see what comes out! Did that to mine, made no difference! Another trick I've read about is Milton tablets into the reservoir, but no idea if it works!

I've subsequently cleaned out the araldite from where the little shiny ball should be in the bottom of the middle jet and found a small short screw and O ring (half a correct size grommet), screwed that in where the ball should be, both outer jets now work well but nothing comes out of the middle one!

Have had the exact same issue with mine multiple times now 2018 S213, tried new hose, and new pump before I found the pump Filter / grommet clogged with slime. After the 5th time of unclogging it/ Flushing the res. This weekend I've stripped the Reservoir out, removing the level sensor I could feel the reservoir was coated inside with slime. Think the problem cause is 2 fold here 1 different winter spec washer fluids reacting (catalyst for mine appeared to be Autoglym ultimate washer fluid) and Mercedes runs a branch of the cars coolant system through the reservoir to defrost it on colder days. So at times that reservoir is going to be being heated like a kettle providing heat and energy to the reaction. Once I had it striped out I was able to swill it round with a warm water/Milton mix and this appears to have removed all the slime. Here's to hoping it stays unclogged for longer than 2 weeks this time.

Howard

If it was me I would stick with one screenwash and not mix them. Years ago it never seemed to be a problem but it's not uncommon now. I spent quite a while researching the data sheets of various brands of screenwash, and contrary to many opinions on t'internet, there are significant differences in the chemical make-up. It's my belief that these can react together and create slime or crystallize, blocking the system.

In addition, some manufacturers level-sensors rely on the system being able to 'read' the level, and only certain fluids are compatible as they aren't simple float-sensors. From memory, but don't quote me, Volvo screenwash was the nearest to MB screenwas fluid.

Just my two-penny worth.

Having taken it out at the weekend can confirm the mb sensor, in my car at least, is a 2 prong connectivity sensor. Water drops below top prong, circuit breaks, refill warning shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom