blocking off EGR valve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dtr

Car
Seat Toledo III 1.9TDI
Since I am having a good look at the car, I may as well sort out the EGR.

I've read up a bit, and it looks like EGR can cause smoky exhaust problem. Mine looks disgusting at first sight and exhaust is sooty. There is a trace of oil in the air intake pipe.

Some people have blocked their EGRs on other diesels and reported no more smoke, and some - even better mpg. I would really happily do away with that stink, and so will everyone else behind me.

My question is how would I do this on A170 mk1, and will I need to trick ECU somehow?

The other option would be cleaning it all, or new EGR valve, but it sounds like blocking may have more desirable effect, unless I missed something critical.

I'd have thought that cleaning out the EGR would be a much better option by the time you've finished trying to a) block it and b) fool your ecu into thinking it doesn't exist and never did. About a 2 hour job, and there's a HOWTO floating around on the forum somewhere.

Well reading a lot of threads today, specifically one thread 'MAF sensor' it does look like if you know your onions about ECU rerouting, then EGR block off is the way to go.
As is usually the case on this, my favourite url, I learned something new again.

Since I am having a good look at the car, I may as well sort out the EGR.

I've read up a bit, and it looks like EGR can cause smoky exhaust problem. Mine looks disgusting at first sight and exhaust is sooty. There is a trace of oil in the air intake pipe.

Some people have blocked their EGRs on other diesels and reported no more smoke, and some - even better mpg. I would really happily do away with that stink, and so will everyone else behind me.

My question is how would I do this on A170 mk1, and will I need to trick ECU somehow?

The other option would be cleaning it all, or new EGR valve, but it sounds like blocking may have more desirable effect, unless I missed something critical.

Totally off topic, lol, but just noticed what AWESOME photos you've taken, in your flickr account!

Totally off topic, lol, but just noticed what AWESOME photos you've taken, in your flickr account!

Thanks!

I need the car sorted to keep it going :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom