Blocking up chimneys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

We have just recently moved into our new family home, which is a Victorian semi and it has 6 open fireplaces which are fairly draughty.

I am not sure if I want to permanently block the fireplaces yet or use something like a chimney balloon as a semi permanent fix.

Does anyone have any experience of the effectiveness of these balloons or any other way of blocking the chimney?

Regards

Tan

I used a balloon in one for years...then removed the chimney stack from the roof. The balloon worked really well.

You may find blocking the chimney will cause damp or condensation in some rooms unless other means of ventilation is provided, especially if you have solid walls.

You WILL find blocking the chimney will cause damp or condensation in some rooms unless other means of ventilation is provided, especially if you have solid walls.

Be very careful. We live in a 1860's farmhouse. All the fire places are blocked up and double glasing installed. Now have dreadful damp problems in the winter.:(

Use an old cushion wrapped in a plastic bag to shove up the chimney.
It's cheap, blocks most of the gap, but leaves enough for fresh air.

Fitting chimney cowls and providing an airvent/airbrick at ground level is the recommended course of action.

I've known condensation in old chimney combine with the sooty deposits, particularly sulphur, to form sulphuric acid. This can then eat it's way through the chimney breasts causing staining on the walls. Where this had happened on a friend's wall the only way he could stop the bleed-through was to first "paper" the wall in aluminium foil!

Chimney balloons work well but so does just about anything squishy in a plastic bag

If these are going to be closed off and not used, if not removing the stacks most definitely need to fit decent "Disused Chimney" caps, which allow ventilation. Ones with insect grilles are best.

I've just had one plastered over as we are not using it for the near future anyway.

Plasterer guy said it just needs a air vent in the front (the sort of slidding type) In fact as I type this we had a smaller one in the bedroom covered over and the joiner fitted the same sort of vent.

I guess thats all I need to snop damp etc?

Thanks Guys

We will definitely want to keep the fireplaces as they are really beautiful and we want to retain the period look.

I will try the stuffing an old cushion up there method, sure the wife won't notice if a few of the way too many "scatter" cushions disappear from the lounge ;-).

Regards

Tan

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Thanks Guys

We will definitely want to keep the fireplaces as they are really beautiful and we want to retain the period look.

I will try the stuffing an old cushion up there method, sure the wife won't notice if a few of the way too many "scatter" cushions disappear from the lounge ;-).

Regards

Tan

Without a cowl on top you can get rain (albeit not much) and damp inside which will condense on the cold brickwork.

You may be able to insert a wooden board into the throat just above the fireplace acting as a damper. Many old chimneys had these in order to regulate airflow in those tall houses.
Either way the cowl is a must. You can get all manner of sizes to match the pot in terracotta as well as the more usual stainless steel.

Thanks Guys

Regards

Tan

Oooh! Didn't realise you were keeping the fireplaces intact. Just remember a pile of detritus will accumulate above your cushion so if/when you remove it you will be inundated with soot and grit.

Oooh! Didn't realise you were keeping the fireplaces intact. Just remember a pile of detritus will accumulate above your cushion so if/when you remove it you will be inundated with soot and grit.

And what about Santa? Have you considered him OP :eek:

Santa will have a soft landing with a cushion up there I'm sure.

Fitting chimney cowls

In my last house (1995), I had a draw problem and fitted an 'Aspiromatic Cowl' for around £300 all in.

It was great - whenever there was any wind, it created draw upwards and then drew air in threw the trickles or the air bricks.

Never any wind blowing down it.

Looked good in Summer too glinting as it spun.

At the time (2005/6), I understand the regulations changed as to what you could have i.e. not a bird cage.

I presume that is still so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom