Bloke bought a car from me with Fraudulent Funds!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yes im ok thankfully.. but i just cant believe the attitude of the police, the case has been passed from division to division and back again and all the time, i bet these scams are going on daily...
If they wanted to catch them they should have put a stop on his passport immediately so at least he wouldnt be able to leave the country...

its madness, no wonder they were all so calm when buying the car, they know its going to take at least 3 weeks for the police to even spell their names correctly nevermind catch them on the M40..

They were too busy sorting out the photos from the Gatsos.....

ill let you all know once the funds clear into my account! ill be checking from the french alps as im off skiing on friday.. lets hope they have an internet cafe in les arcs!

Checking a bank account via an internet cafe is dangerous. If your account details are stolen, the bank would be morally within its rights to state that you were taking an unnecessary risk with your private login details and therefore any losses are your own fault.

Unfortunately this is not yet clear in law, hence my use of the term 'morally' above. I honestly can't wait for a case like this to actually go to court (although the current bank stance seems to be to try and bully but then settle if a customer is too insistent).

-simon

All depends if you clear the memory cache afterwards......

yes im ok thankfully.. but i just cant believe the attitude of the police, the case has been passed from division to division and back again and all the time, i bet these scams are going on daily...
If they wanted to catch them they should have put a stop on his passport immediately so at least he wouldnt be able to leave the country...

its madness, no wonder they were all so calm when buying the car, they know its going to take at least 3 weeks for the police to even spell their names correctly nevermind catch them on the M40..
Ah you are making the mistake of thinking the police are here to provide a service to the public? Nope, they are here to service targets in order the government can claim crime is coming down and then get relected. I bet fraud is not covered by either their targets or the Control Strategy which guides their tactical assessment under the National Intelligence Model. Result is low priority and few resources put into it.:confused:

Checking a bank account via an internet cafe is dangerous. If your account details are stolen, the bank would be morally within its rights to state that you were taking an unnecessary risk with your private login details and therefore any losses are your own fault.

Unfortunately this is not yet clear in law, hence my use of the term 'morally' above. I honestly can't wait for a case like this to actually go to court (although the current bank stance seems to be to try and bully but then settle if a customer is too insistent).

-simon

thanks for the advise but was using my blackberry....

Did You Ring Streamline Or Did You Code 10 The Transaction, If You Did The Latter And They Verified The Transaction And The Card Got An Auth No Your Tranasaction Is Secured I Have Experience Of This How Was The Transaction Processed Manual Or /keyed/chip And Pin

We have starting to get a couple of chargebacks every month at work through Cardnet. I think it is disgusting the way the can chargeback a transaction months after the transaction date. We thought we had done everything correct but they still do it and basically say tough luck to us.

We have stopped all card not present transactions and will now only accept cards from known customers or local people so we at least have a chance of recovering our money.

Luckily our losses have been between £70-£300 each time but it still adds up to losses we could do without, the Banks answer? Increase your prices to cover the losses, nice one!!

Unfortunately it is another example of how the checks and balances of our online world are no match for the guile and cunning of the criminal.

I run a small online currency brokerage, www.hellocurrency.com (shameless plug) converting currencies at investment banking rates and sending international payments around the world for my clients.

We use Barclays as payments agents and I have to say they will always put the onus on you as the merchant to verify funds. If funds prove fraudulent, they will likely try and make you wear it.

The only advice I can give is read all the small-print of your merchant contract and take a view on whether you want to go toe-to-toe with Barclays on the issue. My experience is they are not very understanding.

The best line of attack may be to go public with this (local news or trade press should do it!). You will probably get their attention and the £15K loss would be better than bad press for them.

Noel

Hi Noel, its not really an issue as they paid me my funds as per normal....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom