Bloody KIDS!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lancebond

Car
S203 C220 CDI
as i was coming out of my mothers tonight with the dog, she decides to run off (cause she thinks it's SO funny... the dog, not my mother.)

around the corner three teenage kids are given a fright as a playful German Shepherd runs past them.

so i drive the car around the corner to get her, and i'm told by them "if she comes near me i'll stick the boot through her" so that's put me in a GREAT mood.

anyways the dog gets put in the car and i start the drive home, coming out of the estate and round the back onto the main road where the same three kids then decide to throw what looked like a brick at the car. :devil:

i slam the brakes on, stop the engine and start running after the one i think i can catch, and i do... i then proceed with the usual shouty threatening thing that you'd expect as i'm grabbing his coat and leave it at that, as i'm walking away a traffic copper then pulls up... so i explain the situation to him, he grabs the kid who then proceeds to give any information asked of him (he would have been USELESS at keeping state secrets) dropping his mates who have since vanished right in it, with names, dates of birth, addresses, eating habits, favourite films.

as the copper is looking over the car for damage (luckily the brakes were the optional extra sport ones so i stopped in time) another bloke comes out and complains that three teenagers have just been pelting ice at his front window, and have damaged it.

now that i'm home and the adrenaline is ebbing away, i'm stuck thinking

a) i'm a hell of alot faster than i thought i was on foot.
b) i feel quite bad for grabbing the kid (i didn't hit him or anything but there is a line you shouldn't cross and i was closer to it that was comfortable... i mean i don't really fancy a record.)
c) kids these days should be locked in rooms with no windows, internet or phones until they can prove they aren't all complete scumbags.

lancebond said:
as i was coming out of my mothers tonight with the dog, she decides to run off (cause she thinks it's SO funny... the dog, not my mother.)

around the corner three teenage kids are given a fright as a playful German Shepherd runs past them.

so i drive the car around the corner to get her, and i'm told by them "if she comes near me i'll stick the boot through her" so that's put me in a GREAT mood.

anyways the dog gets put in the car and i start the drive home, coming out of the estate and round the back onto the main road where the same three kids then decide to throw what looked like a brick at the car. :devil:

i slam the brakes on, stop the engine and start running after the one i think i can catch, and i do... i then proceed with the usual shouty threatening thing that you'd expect as i'm grabbing his coat and leave it at that, as i'm walking away a traffic copper then pulls up... so i explain the situation to him, he grabs the kid who then proceeds to give any information asked of him (he would have been USELESS at keeping state secrets) dropping his mates who have since vanished right in it, with names, dates of birth, addresses, eating habits, favourite films.

as the copper is looking over the car for damage (luckily the brakes were the optional extra sport ones so i stopped in time) another bloke comes out and complains that three teenagers have just been pelting ice at his front window, and have damaged it.

now that i'm home and the adrenaline is ebbing away, i'm stuck thinking

a) i'm a hell of alot faster than i thought i was on foot.
b) i feel quite bad for grabbing the kid (i didn't hit him or anything but there is a line you shouldn't cross and i was closer to it that was comfortable... i mean i don't really fancy a record.)
c) kids these days should be locked in rooms with no windows, internet or phones until they can prove they aren't all complete scumbags.

Known situation,best to keep claim and not to hit any of these yobbos..The police should toughen their approach to them.

yeah by smacking them round the head... our local copper used to do it.

no I kept reasonably calm, and didn't hit him, just grabbing his coat as he cowered and apologised.

that was just them throwing something at my beloved car, if they'd touched my dog I'd be in custody now for something gruesome.

Would any of what followed have happened if you had been in control of your dog?

Adults need to learn to control their pets before decrying all the youth.

It's all relative. In some parts of the world they would have eaten the dog, peppered you with an AK47 and nicked what remained of your car for spare parts.

Would any of what followed have happened if you had been in control of your dog?

So what was their excuse for damaging someone elses window ?

F...it wouldn't have happened of course because the OP wouldn't have had any contact with the youths if the dog hadn't run away.

But, things happen...like a dog breaking free...how the youths reacted was unreasonable. They could have helped the OP get his dog back...but they threatened the dog, threw stuff at the OP's car, and threw stuff at someone's windows.

So, not decrying all youth in general...but these guys (on the face of it) were absolutely in the wrong.

But, things happen...like a dog breaking free...how the youths reacted was unreasonable. They could have helped the OP get his dog back...but they threatened the dog, threw stuff at the OP's car, and threw stuff at someone's windows.

It's for the dog owner to control his dog and we don't know just how scared the kids were to judge their initial response as unreasonable or not.

The rest is a mixture of if he hadn't tangled with them and bad behaviour without any apparent reason.

Dog owners who allow their dogs to frighten anyone should not have dogs. The public have been far too tolerant for far too long with this.

I agree with Bellow that the problem wouldn't have arisen if you'd had the dog on a lead and under control. Perhaps your German Shepherd is so strong it pulled away from you, I certainly wouldn't argue with one! So maybe your quote could be corrected to:
around the corner three teenage kids are given a fright as what I think of as a playful German Shepherd, but to any stranger looks a big terrifying dog, runs past them.
Whatever the amendment, the main part of your quote remains the same "given a fright". I can fully understand them reacting the way they did. If I'd been there with any of my grandchildren I probably would have made a similar comment. Sorry, but we're not all dog lovers.

I certainly don't condone their actions in throwing a (possible) brick, and the culprit may well feel as bad about that as you did about grabbing the boy as you did. Fortunately nothing serious happened, but instead you'll have learnt that you need to have better control of your dog so it doesn't scare others, and the boys will hopefully have learnt not to throw things at people, cars or houses.

The problem with most kids is the parents, they don't teach them right from wrong and when the kids are caught out the parents back the kids to the hilt. I've had parents deny it was their little darling shoplifting even when i've shown them the CCTV footage of them doing it.

This all sounds very similar to the kid next door to me! Had to call the police when he and his friends constantly threw ice at our windows along with long term abuse of our dogs through the hedges (and two angry Alaskan malamutes are not to be wound up..!) To then have his old man knock on my door threatening all sorts after the police had been round as if it was my fault....til i pointed at the cctv camera that had just recorded everything he had just said...after a few choice words he seemed to understand he needed to deal with his kid!

the dog incident and the car had no bearing on each other, as i was driving on the main road out of the village and at night, they would have thrown the item before they realised what the car was, who i was. they only stopped laughing and ran like hell after they saw me in the car.

after speaking to the police today (my car didn't come away undamaged it seems) the 'YOUTHS' involved ranged from 19-26 years old, and were arrested last night for multiple counts of criminal damage, the reason they were startled when the dog ran around was they were scraping the paint off a neighbours car with some form of knife... the neighbour has CCTV and has given the footage to the police. there had been multiple reports of vandalism/damage which is why there was a copper right there at the right time (he was looking for them)

i appreciate the people who say learn to control your dog, she's a 6 month old GSD (former northumbria police), and is being trained... in this case she slipped the lead and was off... it's not uncommon to have a mad half hour, the fact i had the lead loosely held was down to me having more trust in her than i should have... i've owned and trained GSD's through either me or my family for over a decade.

i might add there is a hell of a difference between a dog scaring you because it's loose, and someone who ALLOWS the dog to scare people... i'll be honest i'd rather my dogs (three of them, all GSD's) ignore everyone but my family... and when trained they do, if a child asks to stroke the dogs they'll sit and accept the attention but they won't ever go to a kid without being first prompted to... a 8-9 stone dog looming large towards a child isn't a fun thing for the young 'un if they aren't sure of dogs.

sadly some people just don't like dogs either, and will feed them poison (a old man was arrested for it near here last year, he would feed the dog 'sweets' that were full of rat poison) so i'd rather my dogs don't go near anyone, ever.

Last edited:
the dog incident and the car had no bearing on each other, as i was driving on the main road out of the village and at night, they would have thrown the item before they realised what the car was, who i was. they only stopped laughing and ran like hell after they saw me in the car.

after speaking to the police today (my car didn't come away undamaged it seems) the 'YOUTHS' involved ranged from 19-26 years old, and were arrested last night for multiple counts of criminal damage, the reason they were startled when the dog ran around was they were scraping the paint off a neighbours car with some form of knife... the neighbour has CCTV and has given the footage to the police. there had been multiple reports of vandalism/damage which is why there was a copper right there at the right time (he was looking for them)

Just shows how things evolve.But there will still be some who say it's your fault for not controling the dog and scaring the little mites (19 - 26 years old!!)You and your dog are responsible for all they did and all they will do for the rest of their lives ..;)

yeah, i'm having to press charges as they've smashed my front left foglight.

the guy who came out complaining about the window will need it replacing as it's broken/cracked (i didn't look, just spoke to him today as i was at my mothers)

the neighbours car is a mess (but then it's a bmw so it always was!!!), and one side has lots of scratches, looks like an ex took her revenge on the blokes car!!

that's the only damage that i know of, however there are other estates that back onto each other... so i don't know how long they were out.

i can only hope they try to enter my back garden one day (legal disclaimer signs are posted on the gate, six foot high fences surround the property) and meet titch's two big brothers.

I agree with Bellow that the problem wouldn't have arisen if you'd had the dog on a lead and under control. Perhaps your German Shepherd is so strong it pulled away from you, I certainly wouldn't argue with one! So maybe your quote could be corrected to: Whatever the amendment, the main part of your quote remains the same "given a fright". I can fully understand them reacting the way they did. If I'd been there with any of my grandchildren I probably would have made a similar comment. Sorry, but we're not all dog lovers.

I certainly don't condone their actions in throwing a (possible) brick, and the culprit may well feel as bad about that as you did about grabbing the boy as you did. Fortunately nothing serious happened, but instead you'll have learnt that you need to have better control of your dog so it doesn't scare others, and the boys will hopefully have learnt not to throw things at people, cars or houses.

People like you are why this sort of thing happens, you're blaming someone else rather than facing facts, the tale (pun intended) that led up to it is irrelevant, kids should not be allowed to behave like that end of.

I hate dogs and don't understand why any would get any pleasure from owning one but that doesn't put any blame on the owner for a little **** throwing something at his car, completely separate incidents. If I caught my kids doing something like that I'd be the first to discipline them regardless of what led up to it and they know it so wouldn't.

If I'd been there with any of my grandchildren I probably would have made a similar comment. Sorry, but we're not all dog lovers.

what a fantastic role model you would be to your grandchildren, instead of chastising the owner of the dog, and asking it to be leashed. you'd threaten violence and endorse animal cruelty. :fail

there is a hell of a difference between a dog who is playful and a dog who is aggressive and wants to attack you... you don't need to be an expert to see it i assure you

as I had stated before there is a difference between someone being scared by a dog, and someone intentionally using a dog to scare someone.

and before people jump on this, I might add I'm fully supportive of a dog licensing system being brought in, I think people should have to pass some sort of suitability test before owning a dog/breeding a dog... and in some cases procreating themselves.

Last edited:
People like you are why this sort of thing happens, you're blaming someone else rather than facing facts, the tale (pun intended) that led up to it is irrelevant, kids should not be allowed to behave like that end of.
Hang on, you're now blaming me for this are you? What I said was that I don't condone anyone throwing things at anyone or anything else. I said that I understood the kids (as originally described) threatening to kick the dog that had allegedly scared them. Read on for more on this.

what a fantastic role model you would be to your grandchildren, instead of chastising the owner of the dog, and asking it to be leashed. you'd threaten violence and endorse animal cruelty. :fail
What I intended to put across was that I would explain to an owner that I would have no choice other than to use whatever means necessary to protect my children, or indeed myself, from a dog that appeared to me to be aggressive and approached us too closely. That may be pulling my grandchild out of the way or, in extreme circumstances, kicking the dog away. Asking an owner to put his dog on a lead would be of little use after the dog had bitten a child. I'm not willing to take that risk. Sorry if putting the health and welfare of a human before an animal offends you.

But I hasten to add that in no way do I endorse animal cruelty. My reaction would be just the same to a human who threatened my or my family's safety.

there is a hell of a difference between a dog who is playful and a dog who is aggressive and wants to attack you... you don't need to be an expert to see it i assure you
Those who are familiar with dogs may well be able to tell the difference. I can assure you that I don't, and I'm certain I'm not alone in my ignorance. I just wish dog owners could appreciate this so that we could all get on together so much more comfortably.

Even playful dogs can get carried away in their play and not appreciate the fragility of their human play partner. I wouldn't expect them to understand this, but I would hope that owners understood. I've seen first hand quite serious injuries inflicted by "playful" dogs who no doubt didn't intend to cause any harm.

Can't understand why most young children are petrified of all dogs, where do they learn that from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom