Bloody metal dust caps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulhick

Car
C250 amg premium sports plus
Anyone know how to get these off?
3 come of lovely(ish) but the one is stuck fast and starts to turn the tpm valve.

Failing that try heating the cap (very gently/carefully).

As an aside good quality metal caps have a plastic insert for the thread, to stop this happening.

Failing that try heating the cap (very gently/carefully).
As an aside good quality metal caps have a plastic insert for the thread, to stop this happening.
As the man says, a hairdryer can warm a cap enough to loosen it. Doesn't need it to be hot, just a bit of warmth.

Finding good ones is a bit of a chore, the best are, as BTB500 says, nylon lined, or, chrome on brass, chromed steel, or aluminium invariably glue themselves firmly in place. I think the warming up solution is the right one, then stick on some plastic ones till some good'ns turn up. Be great if you let us know how you get on.

Take the car to a local tyre fitter, they should take them off for free..

Take the car to a local tyre fitter, they should take them off for free..
Did that earlier as had a puncture in another tyre and they refused to remove the one on that wheel too and to top it all off the wheel brace slipped while I was using it and chipped all the paint in one of the bolt holes and on the rim itself. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Mine had this issue a couple of weeks ago when in for service. Not 100% sure but IIRC my local mechanic friend said he ended up cutting a slot in the cap & on advice of local friendly tyre fitter.

Apologies but I failed to ask exactly how this was done. I now have plastic caps...not as pleasing to the eye but function chosen over form.

I will ask for more info tomorrow & post again here...(time & memory permitting).

I've got these on mine
Had no issues

Attachments

• IMG-20210330-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210330-WA0000.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 14
Why should they take them off for free?
Because my local national tyres took mine off for free when I put metal ones on few years back.. advice was put plastic caps on from now on!

You got lucky then. As I said earlier,kwik fit wouldn’t remove the one of my punctured tyre before fitting the new one.

I am ok,, i was bought up playing on a Mechano set . Know what ,, you learn so much about nuts, and bolts ..Some need a course in Mechano first before you are let loose on any car never mind a Mercedes .

Advice update for OP...

Not sure if OP saw my prior post as no acknowledgement or reply.

Tip...Use a dremel cutter disc or similar to cut side of valve cap very gradually until valve thread partially exposed then apply pressure to cap by hand or with pliers to gently undo.

Oh ...and fit plastic caps after or use some vaseline to reduce risk of further issues.

HTH

There was a time that I was happy to make a feature of valve caps, perhaps to flatter a fancy set of alloys & with an integral badge to remind others of the make of car I drove, especially if it was an AMG model. Now with silver spoked & black gloss alloys on a lowly non-AMG car I have painted the (metal) valve stems gloss black & to camouflage further fitted simple black plastic caps. Nil chance of getting them nicked too.

Metal valve caps are better whistles than they are valve caps. ;-)

Just looked at my valve caps and they are all corroded and have removed the end threads of the valve stem!!! I suppose this will now be a very expensive trip to the dealer for some new valves with sensors or are they repairable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom