Bloody Nail!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz76

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 AMG Night Edition Premium Plus Saloon
My house is on a hill, so where I park, you can stand at the back of the house and look under the car (exhaust is at eye level).

Just pottering outside today and noticed something unusual on the rear tyre. A closer inspection revealed there is a nail (or screw) stuck in the tyre.

No idea how long it's been there - no more than a month as it would have been picked up on my A service in March.

It's in the thickest part of the tyre (rather than between the tread) and the tyre isn't losing pressure, so I'm going to leave well alone but keep an eye on it.

Very annoying though as my other rear tyre has pot-hole damage (not deep enough to warrant replacement IMO), and they both have a good 4mm left on them!

If the councils repaired the damn roads and swept them from time to time we would all be better off!

Rant over :)

Nip along to a tyre fitters and they will repair for about 10 quid.

Would not advise running with it in, think about it, nothing else is holding you to the road in a powerfull vehicle, you have to trust all 4 corners.

Is it repairable? Not actually sure if it's gone all the way through as the nail is still in there.

It should be repairable if it is not too close to the side wall and it sounds like it isnt.

It's defiantly repairable.
Imagine the pressure on that hole if you were doing 90mph....

Is it repairable? Not actually sure if it's gone all the way through as the nail is still in there.

Have them inspect it for you, the risk of it remaining is that as your tread get worn you may force the object into the carcass.

It's about 1/4-1/3 from the inside edge of the tyre.

I didn't think they would repair damage like that any more. Can they do it even if it has gone through?

Are any of the name-brand places actually any good at this type of repair? Not sure where to take it.

Defo repairable. Any of the high street places will do it for you. Its their bread and butter.

JBR has probably seen too many pile ups caused by tyre incidents.

Thanks all

I'll try and get it looked at early in the week. Did 200 motorway miles yesterday and it's only pure chance that the tyre was in the position it was today and I saw it or I'd be non-the-wiser.

Good to know I won't have to replace the whole tyre though.

I dont like the firm but kwick fit or the likes will do it.

They work on the size of the damage to see if it is legal/safe to repair.

There never ment to repair motorcycle tyres though.

Assuming repairable, will the tyre have to come off the rim or do they just take the wheel off the car and sort it from the outside (as it were)?

It's tyre off and they drill a hole just bigger than the object, they then insert a 'coned' rubber plug with glue and thats it.

Depending on how exciting you drive depends on how much you wish to trust a repair. Normall and a little extra is fine.

Autobahn stuff, no,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom