Bloody snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Driving through the streets of London today was a doodle.

Hardly any traffic, presumably most stayed in due to the weather.

But the snow wasn't that bad really, it was very light in fact, the roads were clear - no slush or ice - visibility was good, and as said progress was surprisingly swift for a Sunday afternoon.

Driving through the streets of London today was a doodle..

image.png

Whatever happened to Magna Doodle?

They still make it - just call it something else now... :rolleyes:

I would have thought that 4WD on its own would be more than sufficient

4WD may help you get moving, but after that a RWD car on winter tyres will bet a 4WD on normal tyres every time.

A 4WD generally means more weight, so in reality worse than the 2WD equivalent when it comes to every thing other than pulling away in the snow.

Last night we out for dinner in the ML63 as a test to see how it performs without winter tyres, and itwasn't much of a test as the roads were clear.

This evening we went to the outlaws and to be fair their drive is steep through a very narrow pillared and walled entrance, and requires a three point turn at the top to get out safely given how skippy it is.

There was 4-inches or more lay on the ground, and the ML63 had a real tough time, eventually getting stuck sideways on the slope, with any attempt to move fore or aft resulting in a slide, sideways towards the second pair of pillars. Lots of ploughing and salting got it out but it was hairy.

Contrast that to the ML270 on M+S tyres: once the ML63 was out of the way, backed the ML270 straight out of the garage, three point turn where the ML63 got stuck and hadn't been cleared and descended without drama.

It could be the torque split being different or the narrower tyres, or more likely the fact that Continental M+S tyres made all the difference compared to summer P-Zeros even with 8mm tread!

Minutes later we're home and I shuffle the cars around to make them easier to get away in the morning. The C32 was half on the grass because I couldn't see the boundary between Tarmac and lawn when I parked.

The snow was deeper than the bottom of the door, maybe an inch or so below the trim strip. I had to rock it back and forth four times but on the fifth attempt it made a relatively calm exit. Made a terrible mess of the lawn - which I've covered with fresh snow for aesthetic reasons!

The winter tyres made all the difference - Michelin Alpin - this is the third winter they've seen with two summers in between. Incredible difference to the winter before I had them fitted. I actually had brand new Pirelli P-Zeros fitted a few weeks before we had snow in the winter of 2009-10 and it got stuck on gritted roads if there was the slightest incline.

My 202 C250 on standard tyres took four faults on Friday up the tiny incline to our gaff. I mean it was only an inch or so of snow. Dig the snow out of the way switch off the traction control and up she went.... eventually. Casting around for some winter Conti's now.

The picture is from 2010 but shows how small the gradient is.

Last edited:
We have a fairly steep exit from the close that we live on with a significant bent that limits any attempt to carry a little speed up.

W210 so far has been very good, and not even wheel spun. I've not taken the BMW up this year, but last year it would go up - but at some funny angles!

More snow tonight and I'm off to Scotland tomorrow so will see what happens...

road.jpg

:thumb:No problems with the Volvo xc90! Still have to drive with care as it cant defy the laws of physics when stopping on normal tyres!

4WD may help you get moving, but after that a RWD car on winter tyres will bet a 4WD on normal tyres every time.

A 4WD generally means more weight, so in reality worse than the 2WD equivalent when it comes to every thing other than pulling away in the snow.
Although not happened this year we had some funny moments in the X5 in this weather but never got stuck, now my sons mini one is absolutely unstoppable.

Minutes later we're home and I shuffle the cars around to make them easier to get away in the morning. The C32 was half on the grass because I couldn't see the boundary between Tarmac and lawn when I parked.

The snow was deeper than the bottom of the door, maybe an inch or so below the trim strip. I had to rock it back and forth four times but on the fifth attempt it made a relatively calm exit. Made a terrible mess of the lawn - which I've covered with fresh snow for aesthetic reasons!

The winter tyres made all the difference - Michelin Alpin - this is the third winter they've seen with two summers in between. Incredible difference to the winter before I had them fitted. I actually had brand new Pirelli P-Zeros fitted a few weeks before we had snow in the winter of 2009-10 and it got stuck on gritted roads if there was the slightest incline.

Just tried out the Alpins for the first time in snow, this afternoon.
Fantastic :thumb:

Just checked for a different thread and these Michelin Alpins have done more than 16,000 miles. I need to measure how much tread is left!

YThere are many good makes of tyre, but Michelins do give value for money :thumb:

Winter tyres paid for themselves today, Driving home in the snow with my wife, 2 year old and our 4 month old baby all in the car when a Saxo driver on the opposite side of the road driving towards us lost control going around a corner and started to slid over to our side of the road! I Put the brakes on my car had little bit of lock up then stopped dead. The saxo driver went skidding into the curb about 2 metres in front of us!

I don't believe my summer conti's would have stopped us as quickly.

I've always bought winter tyres on the basis that it would help my car from getting stuck or having an accident, but today they helped from getting involved in someone elses!

There was 4-inches or more lay on the ground, and the ML63 had a real tough time, eventually getting stuck sideways on the slope, with any attempt to move fore or aft resulting in a slide, sideways towards the second pair of pillars. Lots of ploughing and salting got it out but it was hairy.

The farmers here use Mitsi crew cab 4WDs with the all-terrain tyres fitted as standard. They can (and do) romp through snow that is feet deep.

A 4WD in winter on summer tyres is a 2 tonne liability.

A 4WD in winter on summer tyres is a 2 tonne liability.

Yep - my Range Rover Classic is on excellent Michelin off-road/on road tyres, and is as frisky as the horses in the next door field in snow. 2 tonnes of all wheel powered danger.

When I sort a few issues out the tyres will be the next thing on the list.

Im having a great time... 5.6 V8 G wagon in the snow with a loud exhaust... heehee

Ok ive had some fun in the G Wagen, now im getting annoyed...

This snow means no customers can get to us, which in turn means there is no cash flow, which in turn means I cant buy any new stock or even collect stock I have waiting at suppliers which in turn means im not selling anything which means Im going to be facing losing money this month as all the staff, rates, electric, websites etc want paying... arghhhhhhhh

This snow needs to stop now...

I never thought id be praying for rain...

I was enjoying the snow.Passing all four by fours on the road in my RWD s320 he he.Winter tyres rules!!There was this Hilux struggling to get on the top of the up hill road.My merc got up without even tracking control coming on.And I'm running on budget tyres.Tried to wobble the car to slide,no way rock solid.

Last night we out for dinner in the ML63 as a test to see how it performs without winter tyres, and itwasn't much of a test as the roads were clear.

This evening we went to the outlaws and to be fair their drive is steep through a very narrow pillared and walled entrance, and requires a three point turn at the top to get out safely given how skippy it is.

Contrast that to the ML270 on M+S tyres: once the ML63 was out of the way, backed the ML270 straight out of the garage, three point turn where the ML63 got stuck and hadn't been cleared and descended without drama.

It could be the torque split being different or the narrower tyres, or more likely the fact that Continental M+S tyres made all the difference compared to summer P-Zeros even with 8mm tread!

All down to tyres mate, my G wagon is on Pirelli Scorpion M+S and it grips fantastically well in this stuff... Only braking makes the thing slide.

Summer tyres on a 4x4 is waste of time..

But I just run the M+S tyres all year as it doesnt make sense to swap for the miles I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom