Bloody snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Of all the school closures here in Norfolk, and I still have to do the school run on a Saturday morning:doh: But the E class has been tucked up and wont come out until the white stuff has gone:D

We are driving to Garmisch, Germany for the Feb half term, and I am really curious to see how the BMW's and Merc's go about their daily business over there in the snow (I might even learn a thing or two lol and would save running the 4x4!)

Lived in munich and worked in garmisch once or twice a week. Rwd cars get along just fine in germany with winter tyres and good driving technique.
Pretty much everyone keeps a shovel and a couple of mats in their boot just in case. I have adopted that approach and have stopped about 20 times already yesterday to help people get moving or to get into their driveways. Its all about steady progress and maintaining controlled momentum. I have been teaching friends and family these basic tricks. Hopefully it helps them out!

Plymouth to Durham, that must have been some trek Charles though Durham is a lovely place

Due to collect my CL55 AMG KOMP today after waiting for two months, now going to have to wait another week thanks to the snow!!

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I'd bought a set of Chains for my car, big ones for the large rear tyres I have. But the snow in my area is not quite bad enough to use them atm. The problem usually is getting out of my road, which is slightly uphill in both directions, but the road at both ends is a bus route and has been cleared. This morning I cleared the 4/5 inches of snow off the car and tested the road surface for ice, and decided I didn't need the chains, and I was right.

Brian, aren't chains illegal for use on public roads?

OK when the road is covered in snow. If the road is clear then you have to remove them, as they can damage the road surface. That is the problem atm as the main roads around here are clear, it's only the side roads which are slippy/dangerous.

I thought they were still illegal regardless. I stand corrected.

Aren't winter tyres sufficient, or like me, are you finding they don't live up to the hype ;)

I don't keep my cars long enough to justify winter tyres, and the weather is only bad for a couple of weeks a year.

I thought they were still illegal regardless. I stand corrected.

Aren't winter tyres sufficient, or like me, are you finding they don't live up to the hype ;)

Either your choices are wrong; you are expecting miracles; or you are driving incorrectly.
To say the tyres aren't up to it is utter tosh.

Mine got me here, over that bridge (very steep) and home again without any problem. The road is the B976 and was officially 'closed' by the police.

B976pic2.jpg

B976pic1.jpg

Plymouth to Durham, that must have been some trek Charles though Durham is a lovely place

There was an Inter City service from Penzance to Edinburgh that I caught directly (or drekkly if it was running late - drekkly is a great Cornish word, meaning much the same as the Spanish manana, but without the sense of urgency) that took about 7 hours. Once you got to Birmingham it was a shock to the system for a country boy like me - miles and miles of post-industrial sidings and slag heaps until suddenly York arrived.

I loved Durham, one of the greatest sights in the world (from the train coming in no less), let alone this country. Quite a culture shock to move to London after that!.

Either your choices are wrong; you are expecting miracles; or you are driving incorrectly.
To say the tyres aren't up to it is utter tosh.

Mine got me here, over that bridge (very steep) and home again without any problem. The road is the B976 and was officially 'closed' by the police.

Unless you try the same route with new regular tyres on as well, you can't say how much the tyres helped.

I have just been out and had 4 new summer tyres fitted because my old ones were down to 2mm, but I still made it home last night with only a minor issue on the road I live on.

Well, my Range Rover classic was far too lively in the snow yesterday, but taking out my Conti Winter Contact shod 210 today on back roads and it was night and day - securely planted, traction and grip aplenty without even a flash of the ESP. That was with me planting my right foot to provoke it in places too.

The road is the B976 and was officially 'closed' by the police.

Anyone who drives on a road that is officially "closed" is not only foolish but is putting themselves and the recovery team sent to rescue them at risk. :crazy:

Bellow, experience of the A818 out of Helensburgh in the snowy weather with the winter tyres and having to manouver the car in snow, I was not bowled over by the snow performance. Good in the rain and general cold weather mind you.

Anyone who drives on a road that is officially "closed" is not only foolish but is putting themselves and the recovery team sent to rescue them at risk. :crazy:

If in his defence he lives down there, he's got a slight dilemna

Last edited:
Unless you try the same route with new regular tyres on as well, you can't say how much the tyres helped.

Yes I can having experience of both over several years in the NE of Scotland. There was an outside chance of making it on summer tyres but not without charging over blind crests - to the risk of others. Winter tyres gave me options - including stopping.

Not foolish at all.
Firstly I'd have turned back if it had been too bad (and had all the kit with me to dig myself out had I got stuck - and I had chains with me also).
Secondly, I showed the status of the road to be unecessarily conservative.

I think it's the same old thing of using common sense - Unfotunately there are a lot of brainless idiots behind the wheel, and the Police/Highways Agency tar us all with the same brush so are quick to close roads - but like Bellow said, it you are prepared well and don't mind turning back, and you know your/your vehicles limits.

In truth, by my reckoning the road had been closed days earlier and no one had thought to remove the sign after the worst was passed.

How do we get the skills without engaging with the task?

''Calm seas do not a good mariner make'' (I read that on this forum!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom