Blow out at speed SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ming

At speed blow out car as steady as a rock
Usual?

Attachments

• image-2843171047.jpg
    image-2843171047.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 316
Front or back ?

Back drivers side
Noticed a bit of road rumble then LOADS of smoke
Smelled it first
If roof had been on I would not have noticed...

Hope the face of the alloy is ok after sitting on that gravel ...

Gravel in my yard after return to the ranch!
Bit shaken I must admit

Pleased you are unscathed.

Car did what it should have done. Bit of a result really.

May I ask was the tyre a quality one, I'm thinking it was.

There wasn't much life left in that tyre anyway imho. Glad you're OK.

I had a similar experience many moons ago except it was a front driver's side tyre on a Passat. I was doing just over 105mph when it happened, foolish I know but I was young and foolish then. I just held her straight, kept both feet off everything and let it slow naturally. Luckily it only cost me a tyre. It taught me some manners.

That tyres properly disintergrated, lucky it didn't spin the car out of control.

Happened to a mate of a mate of mine in a Golf. Back tyre blew out, 70mph on the M90. Spun the car and it flipped.

Six months in hospital and intensive care he recalls how my mate said to him as a joke "I hope you die in a car crash" as he was off to see his folks that weekend and not off to the pub with him.

Dougie still regrets saying that to this day. He never thought it would happen

My A6 decided to do the same in the 3rd lane of the M5 during home time rush hour the day before I px'ed it for the A5.

I thanked the lord for Quattro that night.

Sorry for the size of the photo !!!

Attachments

• IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 269
How would 4x4 help with a blow out?

I'm sure it didn't in any way shape or form, but at the time, I was sh1tting myself, not thinking about the actual mechanics still keeping me in a straight line, trying to nurse the car across two lanes of traffic in the wet and across the solid white line which looked extremely slippy.

The car fishtailed ever so slightly, but behaved admirably, perhaps I should have thanked the lord for German design and expensive tyres, but Quattro was easier to say as I trembled a little looking for the locking wheel nut key. :D

I've had two blow outs with low profile tyres. Both on the front (at different times) both around 70mph. No drama whatsoever, quite surprising really. Car was S211. I think that when a tyre is such a low profile, it sits on its own sidewalls after deflating which seems to provide some stability whilst slowing down.

Agreed. I had one on on the front on the motorway when I had my E36 M3 and was going quite quickly. I felt something not quite right but very minor and drove all the way home before realising at which time I also realised why a couple of people had flashed me - not to moan about my driving! It was a long time ago and I'd like to think I would recognise it sooner and stop straight away now.

I remember , from many years ago , having BOTH near side wheels punctured on the A9 a few miles north of Perth , and finding several nails in each tyre - before realising that two other cars stopped nearby also had flat tyres . Only having one spare , I had to walk to find a phone box ( no mobile phones in those days ) and phone my sister to bring another spare wheel ( which at least I had at home - don't know what the others did ) . As best we could reckon , someone had dropped a box of nails on the roadway .

Although I was doing 50 or 60 , there was no fuss or drama caused by the punctures - just inconvenience .

This was at 95 mph - one of those temporary cat's eyes spinning like a circular saw blade flew across the lanes & under the car (wife's Saab) - no drama.

But - having at the time an SL55 with a tyre inflation kit (new car the same - doesn't even have a jack, let alone a spare) you do have to question how often cars have to be trailered off the road as these kits are not a great deal of use in such situations :crazy:

Attachments

• mayjune12%20051.jpg
    mayjune12%20051.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 141
A couple of years ago I had a blow out on the M6. Heading home after a nightshift I joined the M6 J19 southbound just north of Knutsford Services.

Got up to 70 in the inside lane, all of a sudden I could smell burning, looked in the mirror to see bits of rubber flying all over the place, luckily I managed to coast onto the hard shoulder without any issue. It was quite early on a Sunday morning so the road was quite, things could have been a lot worse had I been in the outside lane at the time.

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00470.jpg

AA flat bed truck recovered the van to the services where I had to wait for another AA van as flat bed driver could not change tyres. :wallbash::wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom