blow out on tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astar

Hi I had a blow out of my tyre on my way driving back from cornwall yesterday in my sl55 amg. Can anyone tell me if this was caused by a wheel spin I did earlier in the day. If so what other damage can wheel spins burn outs cause? Please take time to post as concerned as jepordising my safety. Many thanks ally

Short answer yes any unnecessary heating of the tyre beyond its norm will affect its integrity, see THIS thread for blowout causes

It is possible, but I'd say that it's highly unlikely to have been the cause unless it was a very impressive effort at laying a rubber road!

Modern tyres can take a LOT of abuse, I've never managed to get one to blow unless it was a deliberate attempt to do so.

Age of a tyre, visual cracking etc also the many very deep potholes around the country will wreck a tyre and can also damage very expensive wheels.... (I speak from recent experience!!!)

Hi I had a blow out of my tyre on my way driving back from cornwall yesterday in my sl55 amg. Can anyone tell me if this was caused by a wheel spin I did earlier in the day. If so what other damage can wheel spins burn outs cause? Please take time to post as concerned as jepordising my safety. Many thanks ally

If you are concerned about your safety dont do wheel spins and burnouts! :doh:

Tony.

Are they cheap tyres? How worn were they? Did you hit anything?

A 'burnout' (esp if in a straight line) will just take rubber from the face of the tyre. Blowouts mostly occur because of a shoulder problem in the tyre.

That said, doing burnouts in an SL55 AMG isn't going to help your tyre bills.

If you are concerned about your safety dont do wheel spins and burnouts! :doh:

Tony.

Exactly :wallbash:

But i highly doubt it was the burnout you did EARLIER in the day, a very impressive burnout will have shredded the tyre pretty much there and then.

Its pointless asking here what the cause was, get it to a tyre shop who can visually see the tyre and will then tell you what it was.

the cause of a blow out is normally the sidewall damage bumping up and down or touching a kerb (not with alloys i hope) but this damage can also be caused by dropping a wheel into those pesky potholes. I would guess this is the case rather than a "wheelspin/burnout"

Hi I had a blow out of my tyre on my way driving back from cornwall yesterday in my sl55 amg. Can anyone tell me if this was caused by a wheel spin I did earlier in the day. If so what other damage can wheel spins burn outs cause? Please take time to post as concerned as jepordising my safety.

I didnt actually do the wheel spin I am trying to convince the person who did the wheel spin earlier in the day caused the blow out. I was doing 60mph at the time and did shake me up a bit when I looked in the mirror and seen all the smoke. He wont accept the blame just trying to make him see sense and consequenses involved in a unnecessary thrill..Many thanks ally

Hi I had a blow out of my tyre on my way driving back from cornwall yesterday in my sl55 amg. Can anyone tell me if this was caused by a wheel spin I did earlier in the day. If so what other damage can wheel spins burn outs cause? Please take time to post as concerned as jepordising my safety.

I didnt actually do the wheel spin I am trying to convince the person who did the wheel spin earlier in the day caused the blow out. I was doing 60mph at the time and did shake me up a bit when I looked in the mirror and seen all the smoke. He wont accept the blame just trying to make him see sense and consequenses involved in a unnecessary thrill..Many thanks ally
Let me understand this. Did you allow someone else to do a "burnout" in your car?
I sincerely hope not, and if you did I think it is you that needs to learn from the consequences..... :eek::eek:

Keith

the cause of a blow out is normally the sidewall damage bumping up and down or touching a kerb (not with alloys i hope) but this damage can also be caused by dropping a wheel into those pesky potholes. I would guess this is the case rather than a "wheelspin/burnout"

I didnt actually do the wheel spin I am trying to convince the person who did the wheel spin earlier in the day caused the blow out. I was doing 60mph at the time and did shake me up a bit when I looked in the mirror and seen all the smoke.

Blow-outs are either due to hitting an object that causes a significant rupture or due to under-inflated tyres.

As yours went at reasonable speed along a motorway, I suspect it overheated due to being soft, hence the smoke.

I had an MOT today front NS tyre on 500 SL had a biiiig invisible tear unless you a MOT tester, could have gone at,any time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom