Blower fan complete failure W202 need help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigglesworth

Car
W210 280 elegance
I have a relatively low mileage w202, I should have foreseen these kinds of issues as it's now about 20 years old.

Anyway.
Today I got started trying to figure out why the twin electric fans never work for the ac.... I wish I left well enough alone now!

I found where the relay lives for the radiator/ac twin fans (under the screenwash bottle). This was the best place to start I suppose. Someone has been in there before as the relay case on the front relay of three has a loose cover. Out of curiosity, I lifted of the cover and operated the contact switch in the relay.... what do you know?? The twin fans kicked up immediately and ran perfectly!
Off a fairly confident me went to get a replacement 50amp 12v relay so that they would work with the ac as they should!

This has not helped one tiny little bit!!
After I had put everything back together I decided to run the engine and see if the ac turned on the twin fans..... nothing, not unless of course you operate that relay switch (so I know that the fans are good)!

Then I noticed that the drivers side heating was fluctuating between ac and heat!
And then just to top off my day, the blower fans just packed up completely!
I have checked every single fuse and every single relay is seated properly that I can find, but I still have no blowers in the car!

What the heck has gone off and/or more importantly, what the hell have I broken??
I'm totally stumped, it's cold and I seem to have inanvertantly broken my cars ventilation system!
If it's of any importance, the ac compressor still operates correctly and the duovalve unit seems to be making a clicking noise. The air recirculating switch also lights up when pressed.

I am stumped completely please throw me some pointers!

Thanks in advance guys :thumb:

All working again!
The connector seen in the picture had somehow worked loose.... one quick touch and the fans were working again!
Very strange. I have found the guide here on how to take the duovalve apart so that should solve the hot/cold issue I hope :cool:

I have a relatively low mileage w202, I should have foreseen these kinds of issues as it's now about 20 years old.

Anyway.
Today I got started trying to figure out why the twin electric fans never work for the ac.... I wish I left well enough alone now!

I found where the relay lives for the radiator/ac twin fans (under the screenwash bottle). This was the best place to start I suppose. Someone has been in there before as the relay case on the front relay of three has a loose cover. Out of curiosity, I lifted of the cover and operated the contact switch in the relay.... what do you know?? The twin fans kicked up immediately and ran perfectly!
Off a fairly confident me went to get a replacement 50amp 12v relay so that they would work with the ac as they should!

This has not helped one tiny little bit!!
After I had put everything back together I decided to run the engine and see if the ac turned on the twin fans..... nothing, not unless of course you operate that relay switch (so I know that the fans are good)!

Then I noticed that the drivers side heating was fluctuating between ac and heat!
And then just to top off my day, the blower fans just packed up completely!
I have checked every single fuse and every single relay is seated properly that I can find, but I still have no blowers in the car!

What the heck has gone off and/or more importantly, what the hell have I broken??
I'm totally stumped, it's cold and I seem to have inanvertantly broken my cars ventilation system!
If it's of any importance, the ac compressor still operates correctly and the duovalve unit seems to be making a clicking noise. The air recirculating switch also lights up when pressed.

I am stumped completely please throw me some pointers!

Thanks in advance guys :thumb:

Hi there amazingly I too live in Chesterfield Newbold and came across your post for what it's worth and if your still in need of help with your ventilation system.I can help.and I too similarly had heater fan troubles. Thought it was a lose wire to worked for a few month then intermittently packed in.I changed the blower brushes £5 off eBay had air con recharged everything works like a freezer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom