Blowing dipped beam bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedderd

Car
E270CDi
Hi,

Has anyone else had a problem with dipped beam bulbs not lasting very long ?

When I got the car 6 months ago, the RH dipped beam bulb needed replacing. Then about a month ago the LH. And now the RH again.

Is this normal ?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Not really no, should be lasting longer than that (though they do tend to go more at this time of year?).

Are you fitting them without holding/touching the glass of the bulb? as this cause problems.

What brand of lamp was it, some last no time at all.

Check the battery has enough electrolyte in as if low it causes voltage spikes.

Last edited:
I had a car once with over-voltage issues, but it kept blowing bulbs at random i.e. not just the dipped-beam ones.

It is more likely to be due to poor quality bulbs - try to stick with Philips or Osram - or due to use of high-performance bulbs which burn brighter but naturally have shorter life.

Or just bad luck...

Thanks all.

Standard Halfords H7's were the culprit. I was pretty careful in not touching the lens.

I did notice the LH bulb didn't come on briefly while I changed the RH. Then it returned.

I think I will get the battery and the alternator checked to make sure they are in good nick, then give a decent pair of better quality bulbs a go.

Any suggestions on 'enhanced' H7's ? Osram Nightbreaker Plus look good.

I use the older version Nightbreaker and they are great but only last around a year or so. The Nightbreaker Plus should last longer. But very good bulbs. Or you can try Philips xTreme.

Xtreme on their way, as well as a pair of CANBUS 501 for the sides.

Fingers crossed they last.

Thanks for the help

If it helps anyone, Philips bulbs have held up nicely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom