Blowing manifold ? 300te

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mac

My 89 300te has been running funny since i was in a bad traffic jam last week.When we started moving a big cloud of smoke came out of the exhaust and the car feels funny particularly at low speeds. i have been told that my manifold might be blowing and i could maybe just tighten it up. Does this sound likely and is it an easy job ? you're dealing with a novice here people so go gentle

cheers

which manifold are you talking about.......inlet or exhaust? Be careful if it is the exhaust as the studs have a habit of shearing off. You may also need to change the gasket. Inlet manifold? can be tightened and black smoke would seem to represent excess air entering the engine. Check the plate on top of the air box, if it is bent or distorted the engine would tick over lumpy. Not gospel according to Ian but thoughts.

got to do the head/exhaust manifold gaskets on my SL very soon - its only a very slight blow when it first starts - and is gone after 60seconds or so - but it still annoys me !

Mark

Cheers
It looks like it is the exhaust manifold because one of the bolts has sheared (although the sheared bit looks quite rusty ie not recent) but i cannot feel any blowing around it. Does the sheared bolt need grinding out ?
its due for a service anyway so i will ask the mechanic to have a look.

mac

300te

my stealership charged me £120 for changing the gaskets under my exhaust manifold as I didnt want to risk shearing the bolts. I have a little experience at stud removal. But shear the back bolts and you are looking at a Head Off Job. I thought that if they sheared the bolts after giving me a written quote then they could take the head off at their expence. So really £120 isnt that much. Although I sit here waiting to be corrected :eek:

£120 is an hours work at a Dealership??

You are wise to let them do it mate.:cool: :cool:

With a bit of luck there will be a little bit of the brken stud poking out of the head - enough to get a stud extractor on it at least.

As Spike says...if there is some stud sticking out you may be lucky to get on it and remove it...otherwise it has to be drilled out and retapped....it goes into the realms of having a good workshop @ home.
The stealership would contact you as they start snapping stuff and the bill does increase...it happened to me when they were changing a diff under a AA warranty...they were telephoning me all day with progress reports on what had to be renewed as well.
much of which I was not covered for.
Although I do feel that my local Road Range are exceptional when it comes to charging (i think they deal with a lot of company car drivers and are way out of touch with the owner/driver)

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom