Blown Engine CLK 280

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tweect

Car
CLK 280
We've owned our CLK 280 Cabrio for just over 18 months. We did all the good things when searching for the car, bought a mint, low mileage, FMBSH 2 owner car.

Despite this the oil pump decided to let go at 6200rpm (whilst over taking a moped of all things). This caused the piston to seize, which in turn snapped the con-rod, which punched a hole through the engine block. Needless to say the engine is scrap. I have spent a few months looking for a suitable garage / engine to replace the dead one. MB wanted £10,000 + £3000 for fitting. Smaller independent garages have been more realistic, but have still been quoting around £3400 for a 2nd hand replacement unit, without looking at any additional work that is required, as the car has been stood for quite a while now.

I now have a quandary, about the car. The repair costs seem to be beyond economical repair, but we love the how the car looks and drives. We also have the sentimental value in the car. I bought the car for my wife as a 25th wedding anniversary present, with money my mum left me in her will.

So I need your help. Do I simply give up on the car and break it for spares or do I bite the bullet & get it fixed? Any recommendations about engine suppliers would be appreciated, although the 280 engine seems to be quite rare, especially compared with the 320.

Where is the red line on the Rev counter? Sounds like you exceeded the safe revs for the engine.

Sorry for it happening though, have you tried sourcing an engine yourself from a breakers.

How about a short engine from a rebuilder? They might charge you for not returning your old block which as you say is scrap, use it as a planter in the garden!

The M272 E30 280 ENGINE is actually 2,996 cc and found in the following models if looking for a second hand one? They did have problems with their timing gear and balancer shaft for a few years there's a thread on here about the engine.
The Complete M272 Engine Thread

Applications:

Confused.
Why would the oil pump letting go cause the piston to seize?
I thought you could run an engine for miles with no oil circulation.

Obviously something (mains/big ends) would seize eventually.

The M272 E30 280 ENGINE is actually 2,996 cc and found in the following models if looking for a second hand one? They did have problems with their timing gear and balancer shaft for a few years there's a thread on here about the engine.
The Complete M272 Engine Thread

Applications:

Thanks for the info. That should widen the search but finding an engine with less miles than the USS Enterprise is a struggle.

I redline mine regularly and its at 116k miles now.

I imagine your oil pump failed way before it seized, not moments before.

Not instantly as it would take some time for the bearing to overheat but not long at 6200 RPM. The loss of oil pressure doesn't do it directly it's the resulting loss of oil flow that would cause the bearing to overheat until the shells failed.

Back in the early 80's I had big end shells weld themselves to a crank journal and then carry on rotating with the bearing surface now the the outer surface of the shells and the inside of the conrod. Didn't throw the rod though and it actually ran without knocking at very low revs. Re-ground crank with new shells and a refurbished conrod sorted it. I think it cost me something like £30 and a lot of my own labour.

Reactions: Ted
Overtaking a moped, the engine wouldn't be running at 6200 rpm for long. About three to four seconds, I should have thought.

It may be a good time to retrofit the 5.4L n/a lump :devil::devil::devil:

6300rpm on the M272 (according to the US manual which I've got as a pdf).

I don't do it often, but I have planted my foot hard with the ESP off before. - It goes quite a way with the rear wheels spinning madly, and I tend to lift before I run out of space.

If the balance shaft is going to fail, it might as well do it in a blaze of glory! o_O

They're automatics, they shift when they need to!

Seriously, does nobody else plant your foot and don't remove it from the carpet until you're doing the desired speed? With the foot to the floor, it'll shift near the redline, as it's using the full power curve. Anything but full throttle and you're going to be shifting early and not making full use of the power. It's only 230bhp, it's plenty usable.

Well I hope you buy a engine and fix the car,like many others I cannot get my head around,a moped doing lets face it max 40 mph being passed by your car at 6100 revs,I can only imagine you were in a low gear,at least you did not send a pot through the bonnet look on the bright side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom