Blown Engine CLK 280

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It could be that the moped was a coincidence. - It's a nasty thing to happen, and as above; I hope you can source a replacement engine and keep it going.

Thanks for your replys, some good helpful stuff being posted.

Just to clarify though, the moped. I had been following it for a while & a gap in the traffic appeared so I planted the throttle & the car dropped down & off we went. Like a few have said you use the power to achieve your aim. It's a 7 speed auto so it sorts it's self out. I have no control on when it up shifts.

I am getting the impression I should have just said I'd thrown a rod.

6300rpm on the M272 (according to the US manual which I've got as a pdf).

I don't do it often, but I have planted my foot hard with the ESP off before. - It goes quite a way with the rear wheels spinning madly, and I tend to lift before I run out of space.

If the balance shaft is going to fail, it might as well do it in a blaze of glory! o_O
Cheaper to get the moped as it mush have been a pretty souped up one!

How can you over rev with auto box at legal speeds?

How can you over rev with auto box full stop? Even in manual mode, if I select 2nd gear and floor it, when it needs to hit 3rd, it'll still shift... Manual gear selection just holds on to lower gears for you, it doesn't stop the gearbox doing what it has to do...

Same as when in P, it won't rev over 3.5 or 4k is it?

It's not a "limiter" per-se, like with an old cable operated engine, the ECU just doesn't rev the engine any higher. It's got a constant handle on all engine parameters.

They're automatics, they shift when they need to!

Seriously, does nobody else plant your foot and don't remove it from the carpet until you're doing the desired speed? With the foot to the floor, it'll shift near the redline, as it's using the full power curve. Anything but full throttle and you're going to be shifting early and not making full use of the power. It's only 230bhp, it's plenty usable.
.Unless its a 722.6 speedshift . In manual it will bounce off the rev limiter.

Well if Mercedes can give Lewis Hamilton a car that revs to 20k and stay reliable!!
surely they can build us one that can get to 6.2k without sh**ting itself

You would appear to have been very unlucky, the guy on the Ped must have had some sort of ray-gun device which zapped your engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom