Blu Ray or HD DVD, which will win??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzComander

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Avantgarde Estate
Interesting discussion:rolleyes: in the office this afternoon, as to the merits of each system type.

Seems the concensus of opinion was that HD DVD will probably be the media of choice, anybody want to air their opinion??:D

Read somewhere that LG have brought out a player that will support both formats.
Looked at a Blue Ray demo yesterday, awesome picture quality!

Well, I think Blueray will be winner ... or a combined Blue-ray/HD-DVD player with both formats surviving.

Although none of these points is black and white, and are only my opinion ..

(a) The PS3 - there will be significant amount of machines capable of playing blue-ray out there and thus a demand for blue-ray films (and games)
(b) Titles: last list of which studios had signed up to which format showed only one studio missing from blue-ray, but lots missing from hd-dvd - it may have changed though
(c) Currently hd-dvd disk costs are less to produtce, this wont stay (in my opinion) because of PS3 - i.e. all the disk making equipment will get cheaper because disks are being made for games and films.
(d) Blueray disks hold more than HD-DVD - this means more data, i.e more 1080P (full def) video and more usage for backup of data on PCs
(e) As more 1080 line sets appear in smaller sizes, there will be more need for more data on the disks - I dont know whether 2.5 hours of relatively uncompressed full 1080P video will fit on HD-DVD disks or not

I'll probably by a Sony Blueray Player when i'm in USA next week ... no doubt HD-DVD will win because I bought the blue-ray ;-)

Cheers
Richard

WB have said they will produce their disks dual-sided one format on each face.

Interestingly Sony have announced that they will withdraw production licences from any company producing *ahem*- "films for discerning gentlemen" - on BluRay. Given that it was this industry that tipped the balance for VHS over Betamax wonder if they may regret that in the future.

Otherwise we're back to XBox360 vs. PS3

Blu-ray ,

'cos it sounds cool ;)

hd dvd cos the chavs know they need HD (like their sky box innit) and they need a dvd (innit) - thus they need a hd dvd.

wots that blu ray fing then? dunno?

|Sorry to be cynical...

edit - asked the non techcy GF - blu ray DVD or HD DVD - which?

she said - HD - as we are getting a HD telly arnt we? therefore we want an HD dvd player??? surely?

;)

Last edited:
richard said:
Well, I think Blueray will be winner ... or a combined Blue-ray/HD-DVD player with both formats surviving.

Although none of these points is black and white, and are only my opinion ..

(a) The PS3 - there will be significant amount of machines capable of playing blue-ray out there and thus a demand for blue-ray films (and games)
(b) Titles: last list of which studios had signed up to which format showed only one studio missing from blue-ray, but lots missing from hd-dvd - it may have changed though
(c) Currently hd-dvd disk costs are less to produtce, this wont stay (in my opinion) because of PS3 - i.e. all the disk making equipment will get cheaper because disks are being made for games and films.
(d) Blueray disks hold more than HD-DVD - this means more data, i.e more 1080P (full def) video and more usage for backup of data on PCs
(e) As more 1080 line sets appear in smaller sizes, there will be more need for more data on the disks - I dont know whether 2.5 hours of relatively uncompressed full 1080P video will fit on HD-DVD disks or not

I'll probably by a Sony Blueray Player when i'm in USA next week ... no doubt HD-DVD will win because I bought the blue-ray ;-)

Cheers
Richard

Consumers generally face massive price increases based on subtle differences in price which are cents at the factory and dollars at the store.

I have looked at DVD manufacture and the first $1 makes the DVD product and the rest is profit for someone else. Unfortunately, over-supply is the second greatest cost when titles become surplus. Then again who would wait 2 weeks for a DVD movie to be delivered. Waiting at the video store for 2 minutes causes a panic in most people.

Digital streaming is more likely to become a large player by the time that everyone has to decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom