Blue Efficiency injector recall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm sure this has already been covered but not sure which page!

Would this problem also affect the ML300 CDI BE model. I have a 2009 model with revs holding high even when warmed up and occasional engine shudder. It's been to MB twice and they checked software which was up to date and replaced the throttle body but failed to resolve the issue.

They also replaced the pressure sensor and the drive improved (the revving issue also improved) for the first day but its back to its usual issues a day later!

Any help / guidance appreciated...

Btw it is the Brabus D5 installed and the car is still under MB warranty.

Would this problem also affect the ML300 CDI BE model. I have a 2009 model with revs holding high even when warmed up and occasional engine shudder. Any help / guidance appreciated...

Btw it is the Brabus D5 installed and the car is still under MB warranty.
The ML300cdi model -now discontinued- was based on the 3 litre engine but detuned a bit compared with the 350cdi.
The injector recalls only relate to the 4 pot diesels -not the sixes.

Last edited:
Just to get the record straight the solenoid injectors are not being fitted to all four pot diesels. Piezo injectors continue to be used for the ML250 BlueTEC, and when the 250 engine is used in the hybrid E class.

Last edited:
Just to get the record straight the solenoid injectors are not being fitted to all four pot diesels. Piezo injectors continue to be used for the ML250 BlueTEC, and when the 250 engine is used in the S class and in the hybrid E class.
I am slightly puzzled by this but would be interested to hear more detail about your source for this information. I can only guess that the slightly higher fuel efficiency of the piezo injectors is necessary to achieve certain emission figures in what appear to be a range of heavier bodied vehicles if true?:dk:

I am slightly puzzled by this but would be interested to hear more detail about your source for this information. I can only guess that the slightly higher fuel efficiency of the piezo injectors is necessary to achieve certain emission figures in what appear to be a range of heavier bodied vehicles if true?:dk:
Usually very reliable source at an MB dealer when buying my current ML250 BlueTEC

hawk20 said:
The ML300cdi model -now discontinued- was based on the 3 litre engine but detuned a bit compared with the 350cdi.
The injector recalls only relate to the 4 pot diesels -not the sixes.

Thanks Hawk20 - at least I can rule that out. The pressure sensor was changed at the last visit to MB which improved the drive but only for a day. It feels underpowered, unrefined and a little louder than usual especially from cold. Back to the MB I guess...

Usually very reliable source at an MB dealer when buying my current ML250 BlueTEC

Have you looked at your own setup on the ML250? Lots of people make the mistake of thinking that if the injectors say Delphi they are piezo electric and if they say Bosch they are solenoid, but in fact most of the new solenoid injectors are made by Delphi-- the tell tale is probably the fuel return pipes from the injectors as afaik the true piezo electric injectors do not require return pipes---- there will also be a label on the ECU strapped to the top of the engine which will say DELPHI + solenoid or magnetic ventil or similar??
Perhaps there might even be a new generation of piezo injectors with return pipes who knows?:dk:

ps always best to look directly at the hardware in question photo with the engine cover off would be nice. Undo the front locking tab by rotating it 90 degrees then its normally ----lift firmly at the front to "unpop" it then tilt up slightly at an angle of say25 degrees and pull forwards to disengage from the 2 rear horizontal pins making sure not to catch it on any of the wiring.

Last edited:
Have you looked at your own setup on the ML250? Lots of people make the mistake of thinking that if the injectors say Delphi they are piezo electric and if they say Bosch they are solenoid, but in fact most of the new solenoid injectors are made by Delphi-- the tell tale is probably the fuel return pipes from the injectors as afaik the true piezo electric injectors do not require return pipes---- there will also be a label on the ECU strapped to the top of the engine which will say DELPHI + solenoid or magnetic ventil or similar??
Perhaps there might even be a new generation of piezo injectors with return pipes who knows?:dk:

ps always best to look directly at the hardware in question photo with the engine cover off would be nice. Undo the front locking tab by rotating it 90 degrees then its normally ----lift firmly at the front to "unpop" it then tilt up slightly at an angle of say25 degrees and pull forwards to disengage from the 2 rear horizontal pins making sure not to catch it on any of the wiring.

Fairly sure the ML250 is piezo. I'll have alook at mine as I agree with your comment on best to look at the hardware! I have two sources at MB. One says solenoid, the other says piezo! No one has worked on them as they are new.
I did learn that MBs never have return (spill) pipes on piezo injectors. Some makes (e.g. FORD) do though.

Last edited:
i think MB will call every 220cdi, 250cdi blue eff for the replacement... now they are calling already the first cars with the biturbo diesel blue efficiency... the C250 cdi Prime Edition starting in 07/2008... so now if your car is with piezo injectors/ecu you just need to call to schedule the service... and if you want to buy a 220cdi/250cdi blue eff constructed before 03/2012 you just need to check if the car is already with solenoid injectors/ecu and if it isn't then you can ask the seller-man to do that replacement! there are no problems with the solenoid injectors what is definitely a good notice! these solenoid are similar to those produce by Bosch but they aren't Bosch.. they are Delphi

I did learn that MBs never have return (spill) pipes on piezo injectors.

My C Class coupe 220 cdi, 1st registered 15th March 2012, but obviously built before this, was in for it's first service today. I aske the workshop Manager (he knows I work with commercial vehicles for a living) what injectors I had and that I had read that all 220 and 250 Piezo injectors were going to be changed for Solenoid. He double checked and said there was nothing outstanding for my chassis number but he would tell me what was fitted. He called back when the service was complete and said my car was fitted with Piezo injectors but they were the latest ones and had a return pipe. He went on to say that in his experience these had proved very reliable and apart from an odd rogue one he hadn't had to change any of them. But again I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
Fuel injector problem

Hi,

Just had my service there and the Injector was replaced. I have the part number if anyone is interested. It ends in 05. My question is this, to anyone with experience.. In my invoice it states Fuel I hector replaced Quantity 1. Price is 860 quid. But because my c250 is still under warranty it didn't cost me. But is that a set of injectors or is that literally 1 Injector at 860 a pop. That'sa a crazy number and with a short time left for the warranty to run want out I want to make sure they replace everything.. Can anyone help?

I have to say.. I feel really disappointed with the reduction in power. When I put my foot downto test it the car was noticeably less powerful. Gutted because you could feel those 500nm but now you really ddon't It is smoother but very annoyed at the lack of power now

Hi,

Just had my service there and the Injector was replaced. I have the part number if anyone is interested. It ends in 05. My question is this, to anyone with experience.. In my invoice it states Fuel I hector replaced Quantity 1. Price is 860 quid. But because my c250 is still under warranty it didn't cost me. But is that a set of injectors or is that literally 1 Injector at 860 a pop. That'sa a crazy number and with a short time left for the warranty to run want out I want to make sure they replace everything.. Can anyone help?

I have to say.. I feel really disappointed with the reduction in power. When I put my foot downto test it the car was noticeably less powerful. Gutted because you could feel those 500nm but now you really ddon't It is smoother but very annoyed at the lack of power now

That would be for a set and possibly the wiring loom as well.

If it's still not right in a week's time then go back and ask them to recode the ECU. It should have already been done as the ECU has to be recoded for each new injector using a code on the individual devices.

That would be for a set and possibly the wiring loom as well.

If it's still not right in a week's time then go back and ask them to recode the ECU. It should have already been done as the ECU has to be recoded for each new injector using a code on the individual devices.

Hi thanks that sounds very useful to know. When I did call the garage the service advisor asked the mechanic about any reduction in power and i heard him say point blank 'no'. So if the ecu hasn't been updated and this is the case I'm not happy with that. Thi k I will call mercedes customer services this time see what they can do. Thanks alot

Have just checked my 2011 C220CDI. The ECU strapped on top of the engine is labelled Delphi + Solenoid. The fuel return pipes are blue lettered.
Have I got the latest, and hopefully most reliable, injectors fitted to this engine.

Have just checked my 2011 C220CDI. The ECU strapped on top of the engine is labelled Delphi + Solenoid. The fuel return pipes are blue lettered.
Have I got the latest, and hopefully most reliable, injectors fitted to this engine.

Yes would appear to tick all the boxes. :thumb:

Hi,

My W212 250 has been in today for a service and they are in the process of changing the injectors and the re-routing of the wiring loom. I still haven't got the car back for the weekend due to problems with the encoding the ECU.

Can anybody shed some light on what's involved with the encoding and will it improve the fuel economy?

2009 cdi 220

I have 2 blocked injectors here also...what to do?

New to this forum and had not noticed this thread on injector problems on C and E 220 and 250 models before my previous post. I am staggered and disappointed at the extent of the problem.
I recently test drove the latest model C250 CDI BE and was very impressed with the power and torque but have put my decision to purchase one on hold. I am confused on whether the current model C250 CDI uses the Piezo or Solenoid injectors. The latest generation E250 CDI (to be released very soon) uses the Piezo injectors as per MB brochure on the internet. Does this mean that the 250 CDI engine on the C class will also revert back to the Piezo injectors - I think they are essentially the same engine.

Two things -- are you sure the piezo injectors you refer to are on the diesel engines and not on the new CGI petrol engines. [ confusing initials? :doh: ] Petrols now employ piezo injectors but these will operate at much lower pressure than the diesels. I have heard no reports of current problems with the latest diesel injectors other than replacements are coded correctly [ new from the factory should be OK] so I think you should be OK now.

I am sure that the models I am referring to are diesels(CDI) and not CGI. Attached is the relevant section from MB brochure for the latest E class four cylinder diesel models from the Australian website which seems to be most up to date for the new E class about to be released.

"Mercedes-Benz engineers have achieved exceptional results with the 4-cylinder diesel powerplant with three output levels in terms of agility, refinement, consumption figures and emission levels. The engines are significantly more powerful but at the same time more frugal and cleaner than their counterparts in preceding models.

The following models are available: E 220 CDI, E 250 CDI & E 300 BlueTEC HYBRID.

• The most advanced technology: Common rail diesel technology delivers impressive results, with injection pressure increased to up to 2000 bar, optimised combustion chambers as well as high-precision piezo injectors. Quick start ceramic glow plugs improve the engine's cold-running characteristics. "

Good spot on the Ozzie site! Also details the nice twin turbo petrol V6 which the UK market is to be denied?? :doh:
The E 400 V6 engines from the BlueDIRECT engine family combine low fuel consumption and correspondingly low CO2 emissions with enhanced dynamic response on a high level. They were developed using lightweight materials throughout and feature stratified petrol injection with piezo injectors, four valves per cylinder as well as adjustable camshafts for the intake and exhaust valves. The energy efficiency of the auxiliary systems has also been improved. Consequently the V6 engine save fuel, reduce CO2 emissions and enhances smooth running characteristics. The engines deliver powerful acceleration even at low engine speeds, displaying great refinement over the entire rev range. The ECO start/stop functions as standard: it reduces fuel consumption and vehicle emissions by switching off the engine when the vehicle is at a standstill. Summarising:- downsized displacement, two turbochargers and increased power output with lower emissions and high operating efficiency.
mercedes-benz-e-class-w212_6cylindere400_814x443_02-2013.jpg

But I digress.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom