Blue Gas Saves the ICE?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
Daily Mail: Will blue gas kill Tesla? New emission-free liquid hydrocarbon fuels a 300-mile trip on a full tank.

Interesting. Don’t know much about Blue Gas, need to find some more info, though if it’s used to make hydrogen for a fuel cell, I‘m not (yet) getting how it saves the ICE?

Anyway another article that may be of interest.

Last edited:
Anyway another article that may be of interest.
That article neatly summed up one of the core issues with climate fanatics: they persist in the notion that perfection must be achieved at all costs, instead of accepting that perfection should not be the enemy of good.

Interesting. Don’t know much about Blue Gas, need to find some more info, though if it’s used to make hydrogen for a fuel cell, I‘m not (yet) getting how it saves the ICE?
I think it's more a direct replacement for petrol, article says can be used in any ICE from 2001 onwards?

I think it's more a direct replacement for petrol, article says can be used in any ICE from 2001 onwards?
Thanks. Looking forward to finding out more about it.

Thanks. Looking forward to finding out more about it.

I agree. The article says it is derived from natural gas. Liquified natural gas (LNG) has been already been tried as an ICE fuel as and alternative to LPG, but not successfully. The main drawback was the very heavy vehicle tank needed, much stronger than an LPG tank. Will be interesting to see if this problem is solved with Blue Gas.

As an aside, I only know this because many years ago I bought direct from MG/Rover a LHD Rover 75 which had been factory converted to gas. I had assumed it to be LPG but it was in fact LNG. The company who did the conversion for MG/Rover converted it to LPG and the car (now owned by a friend) runs fine to this day.

Daily Mail seems to be somewhat confused...it’s just methane reforming with steam to produce H2 and CO. Nothing new whatsoever and someone should tell them no, it’s not some magic fluid you can pour into a petrol tank of your average car. Yes, you can run ICE on H2 directly, but it’s not a great fuel for that and it takes a lot to make it practical...and of course, as it’s ICE, it’s going to be horribly inefficient of course.

As a short-term fix to produce H2 for HFC vehicles or maybe even domestic heating it might be tolerable as long as the currently non-existent carbon capture technology needed to sequester the carbon from the production process comes along. Otherwise it’s just another distraction from those desperate to hang on to burning fossil fuels.

Longer term, we really, really need to get past endlessly burning fossil fuel.

I love the way all those reports seem to conflate Tesla with BEV. They are certainly a significant player in the market and should really be credited with making BEV an attractive and practical proposition (to many, not all!), but they certainly aren’t the only players now.

What hope do we have with such shoddy journalism and report-writing.

That’s an interesting piece but some actual numbers would be good, and given Porsche only intend using it for racing, sadly kind of pointless. The article suggested they reckon they’ll have 130000l by next year. That’s about 3 Tesco tankers worth.

Bit like the green fuel project they ran at Heathrow. Great idea in principle but scaling it up to be useful is another matter, sadly.

A ‘green’ substitute would be incredibly helpful to provide a transition to non-ICE solutions. I can see why the ICE manufacturers would be so keen on it too, it preserves the status quo for manufacture and servicing.

I'm greatly encouraged by this sort of alternative approach instead of the blinkered and unrealistic thinking that an EV will be the answer to everything. The only worry is that there are already alternatives like LPG and LNF that are cleaner if not totally free of emissions and they haven't got anywhere, possibly through lack of being promoted.

That article neatly summed up one of the core issues with climate fanatics: they persist in the notion that perfection must be achieved at all costs, instead of accepting that perfection should not be the enemy of good.

This very much my way of thinking. Much has been done and still more could done to reduce emissions without the drastic total ban of IC's in all vehicles. I still don't believe it will happen for big long distance trucks.

Where I would support the fanatics is a concern that there seems no end to the increase in weight of huge SUV's to transport 1 person. They are already up to 2.5 tonnes and there will be EV's that are heavier still. This trend is working against progress in reducing overall emissions especially from tyres and it's the prime reason that manufacturers have rushed EV's into production as an offset to meet the punitive EU fleet targets. A 3 tonne SUV is environmentally unfriendly regardless of it's power source and should be discouraged by very high taxation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom