Blue or red antifreeze?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How would they know what’s currently in the car? It could have been changed
I was faced with the same problem with my w212, what to use to replace the fluid lost due to an minor leak. I went the MB and bought their recommended Anti-freeze for my Merc. But I didn't use it because I was not sure what kind of anti-freeze was already in the engine, if it was original ( was supposed to last 15 years) of if it had been changed at any time, so I got 5 ltrs of Comma Xstream G48 concentrate, ( which is recommended for my car )and flushed and refilled the engine with it. Subsequently, I discovered that the MB A 000 989 08 25 10 is compatible with the Comma Xstream G48. So if I need to top it up in future, the MB Antifreeze can be used. Better be safe than sorry. The 5 ltrs of Comma concentrate only cost £22.00, and its not rocket science to change it.

At least they know what should be in the car. Still better than guessing..
yes it is better than just guessing or matching it by colour ( which is even worse ) The fact is, unless you have had the car from brand new, and are absolutely sure about what the fluids ( all of them ) are, you are taking a chance. In my case, I now know exactly what fluids are in the vehicle as I have replaced them all. So in future, no worrying if this or that fluid is the correct one. Just have look at the file, and its all written down,

ANY colour .... even pure water is better than nothing in at all...................

Depending on the circumstances, I would prefer to use ordinary tap water than mix the breed's... There are several post's here on the forum, where despite heroic efforts to clean a system after two incompatible coolants were mixed together and formed a gel..it was not possible to clean it 100%. To the best of my knowledge, there is not any multi-compatable antifreeze available.So if you are in a situation where the temps are seriously below freezing, and you have to add antifreeze, then you would be well advised to do a full drain and flush ASAP !!!

I bought MB genuine antifreeze, concentrate for £30. It's blue.

I would usually buy the same stuff by Comma but I can't find anyone selling it in concentrate anymore. Halfords don't do the 5l concenrate. I dilute using distilled water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom