Blue Screen of Death - just buy a new Dell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well the current machine is running but with a corrupted registry so it needs a replacement.

I went for Dell - many of you know them well enough. What swung it for me was the special offer on the RAID machines for small businesses - so I got a Dimension 9200 with two 500MB hard drives, running in parallel. So even if it dies my data will be preserved. Nonetheless I'll be running backups with the DVD drive, and keeping the data in a safe.

Cost was about £570 delivered, with Vista and MS Office. Thanks again for the suggestions.

You need to check how the RAID is set up on your machine. Dell's standard format is RAID 0 (the one where the data is divided between two hard drives). That gives you faster response times but you're still stuffed if one of the hard drives goes down. I'm sure there is loads of software around to convert a different RAID regime.

Another good thing about Dell's is that windows xp supplied with them is unprotected and if you clone it , it will run on another dell without any trouble .

You need to check how the RAID is set up on your machine. Dell's standard format is RAID 0 (the one where the data is divided between two hard drives). That gives you faster response times but you're still stuffed if one of the hard drives goes down. I'm sure there is loads of software around to convert a different RAID regime.

Thanks. I was wondering why the two drives have very different quantity of data on each...

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom