Blue Smoke coming out of my exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sub_zero

Car
W124 E220 1995
Hi MB gurus,
Today I had found blue smoke coming out of the car,only when RPM exceeds 3500.the engine is in very good condition,no oil on the spark plugs,at oil change there is no oil missing.
I have oil leak near the belt tensioner (front of engine has lots of oil on it ) and this oil started to go to dynamo (generator) and exhaust manifold.could it be that the oil find some way to enter the manifold and burns it self?
any help will be much appreciated

Don't know if this will help, but I saw this when I was looking for a solution to my black smoke a week ago....
Blue Smoke: Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. As with the white smoke, just a small drop of oil leaking into the cylinder can produce blue smoke out the tailpipe. Blue smoke is more likely in older or higher mileage vehicles than newer cars with fewer miles.
How did the engine oil get inside the cylinder in the first place? The car has many seals, gaskets, and O-rings that are designed to keep the engine oil from entering the cylinder, and one of them has failed. If too much oil leaks into the cylinder and fouls the spark plug, it will cause a misfire (engine miss) in that cylinder, and the spark plug will have to be replaced or cleaned of the oil. Using thicker weight engine oil or an oil additive designed to reduce oil leaks might help reduce the amount of oil leaking into the cylinder.

Could be that the oil leak and blue smoke are related, the leak could be caused by excess crankcase pressure caused by blocked breather, this can allow oil into the cylinders, try giving the motor a service and clean out all of the breather system, if this fails you may have a worn engine or leaking valve stem oil seals.

Could be that the oil leak and blue smoke are related, the leak could be caused by excess crankcase pressure caused by blocked breather, this can allow oil into the cylinders, try giving the motor a service and clean out all of the breather system, if this fails you may have a worn engine or leaking valve stem oil seals.

I'd go with this as a first suggestion. Breather systems are often overlooked and do cause problems.

Pull off a breather hose and see if it's gently puffing. It might be blocked until the crancase pressure builds enough to force a squirt of oil into the manifold.

If it smokes when pulling and idle it is often worn rings.
If it smokes when pulling after being on idle "ie after traffic lights" it is valves.

Yes the breathing system comes into this, if the crankcase cant breath , then oil can be forced into the engine. Take the breather off to clean it.

Interesting that the breather is part of the MOT in Sweden,, My 123 failed on that point,, just cleaned it and perfect.

Sorry sweeper,but What is the breather system?
How can I reach it?
HOw can I clean it out?

television said:
Yes the breathing system comes into this, if the crankcase cant breath , then oil can be forced into the engine. Take the breather off to clean it.
How can I take the breather off? if this smoke caused by the valves(i,e, valve guides) are there any symptoms for failed guides? as oil on the spark plugs for example?
Dieselman said:
Pull off a breather hose and see if it's gently puffing. It might be blocked until the crancase pressure builds enough to force a squirt of oil into the manifold
Where is the breather hose? What do you mean by puffing? is it blocked?
My engine type is 111
engine mileage is 146k miles

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=124062&M=111%2E960&GA=722%2E428&GM=717%2E413&CT=M&cat=19K&SID=01&SGR=015&SGN=04

104 and 110.

The breathing part of the engine consist of a pipe that comes out of the sump and the other end goes into the air intake box where the fumes are re circulated.

When the Valves or guides have worn there is no cure other than to replace them.

Here is the link to all of your car,, the 111 engine all on the right
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb1.asp?TP=1&F=124062&VIN=

Pardon me,but I can't undertsand this wonderul diagram.
are the breathers you all talking about in these numbers?
How would I reach them?..I think they are not rubber...how would I pull off a breather hose?
When the valve guides are worn..does this mean oil on the spark plugs?

No 104 and 110 you will see the pipe going up to the top of the engine.

With the top air cleaner off you will see the pipes, part metal and the rest rubber,

When valve guides are worn, then yes you can get oiled up plugs.

To test for rings or valves,

Do a compression test and note the reading. pour some oil into the plug hole and repeat the test. if the compression increases then it is bores/ rings worn. If nothing happens then it is valves.

If you have plugs that are fouling up with oil a larger gap may help a little for now

If there is no significant oil loss or oil on the plugs then look at the oil leak first. It sounds like the oil is burning off the manifold and being blown out of the back of your car when going fast, hence the smoke. Steam clean the engine bay, fix the leak (probably timing chain cover) and see if that cures it.

Edit.. Is the smoke coming out of the exhaust or just visible in the rear view mirror when driving?

Last edited:
If there is no significant oil loss or oil on the plugs then look at the oil leak first. It sounds like the oil is burning off the manifold and being blown out of the back of your car when going fast, hence the smoke. Steam clean the engine bay, fix the leak (probably timing chain cover) and see if that cures it.

Edit.. Is the smoke coming out of the exhaust or just visible in the rear view mirror when driving?

No significant oil loss and no oil on the plugs.The smoke is barely seen at 3500 RPM in direct sun light,other than that there is no smoke.
I went to two workshops and both told me your car does not smoke.
I will steam clean the engine (Though I heard steam harm the engine harness).
For oil leak,there was a leak last year behind the black plastic cover at the top front of the engine,I went to a workshop to stop it,they told me there is no oil seals here we just put some material to stop the leak and it did stop the leak.
I still see oil leak behind the belt tensioner (just below the black plastic cover).it is alot and oil leak reached the generator and manifold as I mentioned before,I don't know where it came from,does belt tensioner has oil seal that may fail?
Also two years ago I changed an oil seal behind the lower drum behind the fan,it was leaking also.
For your suggestion,does timing chain cover have oil seals that may fail? I believe that you are talking about the same place where there was a leak and the workshop added some material to stop it,it was near timing chain,they told me there is no seals here!!!
do you think there are seals there?

No 104 and 110 you will see the pipe going up to the top of the engine.

With the top air cleaner off you will see the pipes, part metal and the rest rubber,

How do I reach them? do I have to remove the air cleaner (filter) black box? and if so,when I see them,is it easy to pull them off?

sub_zero

Have you topped up the oil recently ?

If so, there may be too much in the engine.

Check oil level on level ground and wait for 5 minutes before checking dipstick.

The correct level should be BELOW the max ,mark on dipstick, ideally between min and max.

sub_zero

Have you topped up the oil recently ?

If so, there may be too much in the engine.

Check oil level on level ground and wait for 5 minutes before checking dipstick.

The correct level should be BELOW the max ,mark on dipstick, ideally between min and max.

Very good question...
The oil level is above max,manual said you should put 5.8 L (I don't know how much in English measurement units) with filter replacement,but we here add 6 L and the oil level is above max.
I'll drain some too and see what will happen.

I have steam washed my engine,there was a big oil stain on the right side of the engine (maybe bacause of over filling with oil),this stain covered part of the manifold and started to cover the dynamo(generator) . Let some oil out of the engine to go under the max. mark.
Also I changed the spark plugs to make sure no oil goes into the internal chambers ,thank God the plugs were dry ,no oil on them.
But still there is blue smoke coming out at above 3500rpm,I think there is still some oil residues in the exhaust system.Really and disappointing :(

I drove it for a long journey to drive out all residues,but still...
What do you think? :confused:

Normally if there were significant oil entering the engine combustion chamber you would see evidence of that on the plugs. Which leaves an oil leak or a choked breather. I think you still have a oil leak. By steam cleaning the engine you removed the build up of oil but you still haven't fixed the leak. High rpms are throwing oil on to the exhaust manifold where its burning off to give you blue smoke. There are lots of places at the front of the engine where leaks can occur as has been said. The other possibility is the cam cover itself. What grade of oil are you using? The fully synthetic 5w50 or 0w40 thin engine oils will leak more than the older semi synthetic 10w40 oils on an engine with worn seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom