Bluebird K7 running again............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vintage Racer

Car
2001 Mercedes R129, SL320......1959 Triumph TR3a......2010 Discovery 4.
I'm sure that not everyone will agree, but how fantastic to see Bluebird K7 running again this week.

Well done the 'Isle of Bute' for letting it happen and shame on Coniston Water for NOT letting it happen!

Lots of images and videos on here for anyone interested: DONALD CAMPBELL BLUEBIRD AND THE FINAL RECORD ATTEMPT

I remember well, Donald breaking his records and of course, his sad death in this boat.

Seeing it run again made the hairs on the back of my kneck stand up and I don't mind admitting brought a tear to me eyes.

I don't wish to sound cynical or ruin the party but I can't help wondering exactly how much of what was recovered from Coniston Water is incorporated into what we will now see.

On a similar note, I happened to read this article today about a Sturmovik that crashed into a lake in Murmansk in 1943 and has just been recovered after 75 years. Apparently, it is now going to be "restored" but since there is nothing aft of the cockpit and everything else looks to be either rusted beyond repair, broken or missing then it would seem that the team responsible have merely salvaged its identity and that little, if anything, that was lifted from the lake will go into the "restored" version:

Russian WWII fighter plane retrieved from lake 75 years after it was shot down | Daily Mail Online

The wreckage of Bluebird wasn't in such poor condition but was also far from complete but I suppose we're not really supposed to worry about such details !

What worries me about K7 is this how long do you think it will be before its asked "Could it break the land speed record?" I know that they said it will run at lesser speeds for safety reasons but temptation is there surely??

I'm not so worried about the Sturmovik, as I know that they restore to an extremely high standard if not better than original, so I think it will be a safe plane once flying - a bit like this one...

Newly-Restored Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovik Flies in Russia

Or Even this one:

Guy Martin's Spitfire - All 4

Yes its a Spitfire - but watch its story, if you've not already seen it..totally astounding, wonderful and beautiful...

No doubt a lot of old engineering skills will have been used in the restoration of Bluebird together with new methods and materials. In any event it brings back a piece of brilliant record breaking machinery to today's modern world. Just hope Max Vercrashem doesn't get near it, maybe Mr Whoppit will get another run in it.

There is a good article in the Daily Mail today on it, seems the family could not agree on it being salvaged and unhappy it is being engine run on the lake.

Reminds me of trigger in fools and horses “ l love this brush, it is original, apart from having 14 new heads and five new handles”

I'm sure that not everyone will agree, but how fantastic to see Bluebird K7 running again this week.

Well done the 'Isle of Bute' for letting it happen and shame on Coniston Water for NOT letting it happen!

Lots of images and videos on here for anyone interested: DONALD CAMPBELL BLUEBIRD AND THE FINAL RECORD ATTEMPT

I remember well, Donald breaking his records and of course, his sad death in this boat.

Seeing it run again made the hairs on the back of my kneck stand up and I don't mind admitting brought a tear to me eyes.
I’m hoping to go across before it goes back south .

No doubt a lot of old engineering skills will have been used in the restoration of Bluebird together with new methods and materials. In any event it brings back a piece of brilliant record breaking machinery to today's modern world. Just hope Max Vercrashem doesn't get near it, maybe Mr Whoppit will get another run in it.
He already has .

There is a good article in the Daily Mail today on it, seems the family could not agree on it being salvaged and unhappy it is being engine run on the lake.

Reminds me of trigger in fools and horses “ l love this brush, it is original, apart from having 14 new heads and five new handles”
Hmm , Donald’s daughter was there , and took Mr Whoppit along .

It was the wife who wasn’t happy .

Blood & water .

What worries me about K7 is this how long do you think it will be before its asked "Could it break the land speed record?" I know that they said it will run at lesser speeds for safety reasons but temptation is there surely??..
Wouldn’t they have to put wheels on it first?

(Sorry, couldn’t resist)

Donald Campbell - The Hero | The Ruskin Museum, Coniston, Cumbria
You can see a clash of visons here. The Ruskin museum was gifted the wreckage by the family on the 40th anniversary of Donald Campbell's death but it was the engineering drive of Bill Smith who made its restoration manifest. The museum obviously thought of it as a permanent attraction and had built an extension the Bluebird Wing to house it. Having such an exhibit would represent a considerable revenue stream from visitors especially during the tourist season. If Bluebird was off galavanting round the world this is not going to happen! Hopefully like lots of travelling museum exhibits some sort of compromise will be possible. Besides which a little "patina of use" such as a few dents/scrapes, touches of corrosion, fluid tidelines, the odd trace of weed in the intake etc is going to give the old girl an authenticity a pristine exhibit might lack?:cool:

Reactions: 219
My personal view is that it should be run on water whenever (and perhaps wherever) possible, and exhibited in the museum when it has periods of downtime. It's an iconic piece of British history and as a static exhibit it's just impossible for people to grasp quite how special it is.

I think we should celebrate these machines. They are part of our heritage, regardless of how many 'original' bits are left in them.
There is always the question about replicas or originals. I take my hat off to those who have spent time and money putting these things back together.
I used to be a 'Friend of Duxford' and would periodically go and chat to the restorers in the restoration hangers and even help out sometimes.
I think they are all amazing machines.

One wonders what Donald would have wanted? I suspect, to see her afloat and seen by the public.

I’m not sure how well she would live up to being dragged in and out of water and put in a static display.

My guess is is her frame must/would take a fair bit of punishment. So maybe that is a factor in any long term plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be nice to know how Donald would have wanted us to remember his legacy. As long as it's safe to do so, I'd like to see Bluebird running. Like steam trains, Concorde, Vulcan etc, though impressive in the museum, they are/were at their best when 'alive' and active.

Would be nice to know how Donald would have wanted us to remember his legacy. As long as it's safe to do so, I'd like to see Bluebird running. Like steam trains, Concorde, Vulcan etc, though impressive in the museum, they are/were at their best when 'alive' and active.

100% agree. But my point is that all these things have a finite life. It is that balance between what we want and what keeps them flying that makes it difficult.

100% agree. But my point is that all these things have a finite life. It is that balance between what we want and what keeps them flying that makes it difficult.

Yep, totally on the same page mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom