Bluetooth audio CLK 220 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsyouruncle

Car
CLK 220 CDI 08
Hi,

I recently got my first car, it is 08 plate CLK 220 CDI, it has bluetooth prep and I have the Merc bluetooth adapter. I can use handsfree phone via bluetooth and the Command unit, but I cannot figure out how to play audio from my i phone XS via bluetooth. There is an aux input in the glove box, and also a CD changer. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

I don't think that the CLK ever had support for streaming over Bluetooth.

I am assuming that your 2008 car has the COMAND NTG2 head unit? With navigation maps on CD disk?

It would have either the older iPad Interface or the newer Universal Media Interface (UMI), which has a connector inside the glove box, and requires a proprietary cable to connect your iPhone. With this in place, you should be able to manage your music on the iPhone using the COMAND unit control, and listen to it over the cars speakers.

But you need to run your VIN through a VIN decoder and see what audio and Interface options your car is equipped with.

This is the sort of cable I was referring to:

BUT - before ordering, give Comand Online a call and let them have your VIN so that they can confirm which is the right cable for your car.

I don't think that the CLK ever had support for streaming over Bluetooth.

I am assuming that your 2008 car has the COMAND NTG2 head unit? With navigation maps on CD disk?

It would have either the older iPad Interface or the newer Universal Media Interface (UMI), which has a connector inside the glove box, and requires a proprietary cable to connect your iPhone. With this in place, you should be able to manage your music on the iPhone using the COMAND unit control, and listen to it over the cars speakers.

But you need to run your VIN through a VIN decoder and see what audio and Interface options your car is equipped with.
Hi,

Yes it has the COMAND NTG2 head unit, and a connector inside the glove box, I can get an aux cable as you suggest, I was just hoping I could stream my music via bluetooth, but not a major issue. Off topic but do you know, since there is a video option on the command unit, could I run a reverse camera through it, or would it be better to just consider replacing the COMAND NTG2 head unit with an after market option? Cheers.

Hi,

Yes it has the COMAND NTG2 head unit, and a connector inside the glove box, I can get an aux cable as you suggest, I was just hoping I could stream my music via bluetooth, but not a major issue. Off topic but do you know, since there is a video option on the command unit, could I run a reverse camera through it, or would it be better to just consider replacing the COMAND NTG2 head unit with an after market option? Cheers.

Your COMAND NTG2 unit is interchangeable with the newer COMAND NTG2.5.

NTG2.5 has built-in Bluetooth telephony (so you don't need the cradle in the armtest), and has an internal 40gb HDD where the maps are stored (so no need for a maps CD). It will also have an internal 4gb of Music Store on the HDD, with an SD-Card slot that can be used to upload music to the internal Music Store. And there's also a model with built-in CD-changer that plays Audio and MP3 CDs, as well as Video DVDs. Did I mention 7-digit post code navigation?

In addition, NTG2.5 will have the original MB look-and-feel and will work with the steering wheel controls and instrument cluster display.

BUT - the COMAND NTG2.5 unit was in service around 10 years ago, so will be outdated in today's terms.

You could opt for a high-end after market unit instead, e.g. Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer etc, or for a generic Android-based unit, e.g. Erisin Car DVD Player, Car GPS Navigation, Autoradio, Car Stereo, Car Multimedia System, Car Radio.

Comand Online can advise re NTG2.5 retrofit (they have done this for my W204 a few years back), and re high-end aftermarket options, though as far as I know they don't do Chinese Android units due to quality and overheating concerns.

Your COMAND NTG2 unit is interchangeable with the newer COMAND NTG2.5.

NTG2.5 has built-in Bluetooth telephony (so you don't need the cradle in the armtest), and has an internal 40gb HDD where the maps are stored (so no need for a maps CD). It will also have an internal 4gb of Music Store on the HDD, with an SD-Card slot that can be used to upload music to the internal Music Store. And there's also a model with built-in CD-changer that plays Audio and MP3 CDs, as well as Video DVDs. Did I mention 7-digit post code navigation?

In addition, NTG2.5 will have the original MB look-and-feel and will work with the steering wheel controls and instrument cluster display.

BUT - the COMAND NTG2.5 unit was in service around 10 years ago, so will be outdated in today's terms.

You could opt for a high-end after market unit instead, e.g. Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer etc, or for a generic Android-based unit, e.g. Erisin Car DVD Player, Car GPS Navigation, Autoradio, Car Stereo, Car Multimedia System, Car Radio.

Comand Online can advise re NTG2.5 retrofit (they have done this for my W204 a few years back), and re high-end aftermarket options, though as far as I know they don't do Chinese Android units due to quality and overheating concerns.
Thanks for all the information, much appreciated. Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom