Bluetooth connected - how to use steering buttons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itsjiggy

Car
CLS 2008 CDI Facelift
Hi all
Having got myself a cls cdi 58 registered facelift I am so far very happy with it.

Only thing I can't work out:
Bluetooth is connected with iphone4s.
However I can't use the make or end call buttons on the steering wheel. They don't seem to do anything! The previous owner I seem to remember using them when he demonstrated the Bluetooth (or was I imagining this?). What am I doing wrong or is it just compatibility issue with iPhone 4S. Which would be very odd. Previous owner had iPhone 5.

Ps has linguatronic if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

I too would be interested in getting some info on blutooth connectivity, as I have not attempted to try and set my car up yet.

Don't think you can make calls from the steering wheel, only accept and end incoming calls, to make calls you need to do that on the screen or battle with linguatronic

Thanks for the above link. very useful.
However, none of the FAQs answer my question unfortunately.
I cannot make or end calls from steering wheel, which is very frustrating. Even if I could end the calls that would be good enough. Any ideas why this would not happen?

For some reason the coding may be incorrect and the steering phone controls are disabled. Or it is possible an NTG2.5 based audio unit (fitted to MY09> cars and the first to have full bluetooth connectivity built in) was retrofitted and the STAR coding wasnt done to enable the phone controls (assuming the car has no phone pre-wire).

Sounds like it was a private purchase so to sort it out you would need to go to a main dealer or an independant with MB Star system. They can enable them. Comand.co.uk in Lightwater Surrey are highly recommended and can do it for you.

Last edited:
Hi
Good points. However, I have the original build sheet, and the car came with COMAND from the factory. Also as per my original post, when the seller demonstrated the car, the end call button worked with his iphone 5.

The mystery continues!!

As an aside, how would I know if this car has the speed sensitive power steering or the adaptive brake lights? I am sure I feel the steering being lighter at low speed, but could be my imagination!

Edit: Also has the pre-wire

Check the cars data card to see what options it has.

Try another phone like a Nokia to see if the steering controls work with that.

Check the cars data card to see what options it has.

Try another phone like a Nokia to see if the steering controls work with that.

Which option should I be looking for. It has COMAND. Telephone pre wire. Linguatronic. What other option is relevant?

The car already has Bluetooth built in to the comand. So why would I need the viseo? Is it solely to make the steering controls work? If so that is rather odd!
To clarify my phone is connected to the car. I can make and receive calls through the speakers by controlling from the comand unit or from the handset. Just the steering wheel buttons that don't work.

The car already has Bluetooth built in to the comand. So why would I need the viseo? Is it solely to make the steering controls work? If so that is rather odd!
To clarify my phone is connected to the car. I can make and receive calls through the speakers by controlling from the comand unit or from the handset. Just the steering wheel buttons that don't work.

I don't know if you would need it,but, my clc is a 2008 and so I do need the Viseo unit, as 2008 models do not work without the unit.
Other clc's from 2009 do not need the additional Viseo in armrest

Hope this clarifies things.

Lesley is right the earlier models do not fully function without a MB cradle or Viseo unit, which is cheaper. I had Viseo on my CLS for that reason.

On later models we have bluetooth fully functional from Comand with the steering wheel controls working too.

Why not give the previous owner a call to ask?

If it does need an additional cradle like the earlier models, these are usually removed by the seller due to the cost of them.

It does not need a cradle. That was for earlier cars. Newer cars have full bluetooth built into the headunit and pre-wire / comfort phone is not needed.

The OP has already stated he is pairing the phone directly to the headunit so his car has an NTG2.5 based unit which has full bluetooth built in.

It does not need a cradle. That was for earlier cars. Newer cars have full bluetooth built into the headunit and pre-wire / comfort phone is not needed.

The OP has already stated he is pairing the phone directly to the headunit so his car has an NTG2.5 based unit which has full bluetooth built in.

Exactly.

Tried it again last night. And if I make a call manually from the handset or command unit it does allow me to end from steering wheel. This is good enough for me. Thanks all.

Are you bringing up "Telephone" in the cluster first? You have to do this to tell the car that you want to navigate through the phone menu.
You can then navigate through previous calls etc, make calls etc without touching the NTG 2.5 unit.

Are you bringing up "Telephone" in the cluster first? You have to do this to tell the car that you want to navigate through the phone menu.
You can then navigate through previous calls etc, make calls etc without touching the NTG 2.5 unit.

I am pretty sure I did try this, I will try again today and report back. Would certainly be useful if this works, otherwise what would be the point of the buttons! Without this functionality, it isn't really handsfree!

Did you do as I suggested and try another phone just to see if it is an issue with your particular phone?

sounds to me as gbjeppm said - the OP needs to scroll sideways with the left side buttons till he gets to the telephone menu, then hecan use the up/down to scroll the phonebook. or dial button for last calls. hang-up should work wherever you are menu-wise, - as should answering a call.

edit typo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom