Bluetooth for old hi fi amp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saff

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 D4 4.2 TDI W246 B180 CDI Sport
Hi

I've recently resurrected my old hi fi separates system and its in perfect working order. Consisting of an eclipse CD player, a Denon tuner, Mission bookshelf speakers and a Sherwood amp. All pretty old and budget range but fine for me. I was wondering if there is a way of streaming music to the amp via a bluetooth device which might plug into the aux on the amp. Any suggestions bearing in mind I don't want to spend too much?

Thanks for any pointers

Try searching on Amazon:

Logitech Bluetooth Receiver/Bluetooth Audio Adapter

It should also bring up other related devices.

Either of the two above.

Those generic bluetooth receivers on amazon/ebay all vary in quality of music reproduction so you'd be taking a risk buying an unknown brand (I know Logitech and many others will be decent/good). I've bought several which have ranged from diabolical and unlistenable to "good enough, but not quite cd quality".

It's basically a DAC remember, so it is the thing producing the music. Like the electronics in a CD player after it's been handed the ones and zeroes by the laser.

Thanks to all for the pointers, I'll have a look.

I have a Sony BM10 Bluetooth receiver connected to my hi-fi and it works very well. Discontinued now, I believe, but you might get lucky and pick a second-hand one up on the likes of eBay.

Cheers,

Gaz.

I use Amazon Echo and stream Spotify through it, works a treat. Radio is good through this medium too.

All you need then is an amp and speakers.

I've used Logitechs and Chromcast Audio's.

The CCA's are much better, esp if you have an optical in.

I don't think you can stream audio straight from a bluetooth enabled device to a Chromecast, in the same way that you would play it through headphones? At least that was what I found, as I bought a CCA when they first came out (they were discounted and it was a gadget I didn't have). You can cast from apps like Deezer and Spotify, but not play directly from the music app on a Ipod touch to the CCA (which was what I wanted to do with it). I put the CCA back in the box and there it's stayed, so I guess it may have changed by now, but that's how I found it and I think it won't suit the OP's needs.

Cheers,

Gaz

In my experience the quality is better just using the headphone socket rather than any form of wireless.

You'll probably have to plug the phone into a charger anyway, so why not use the headphone socket?

Hi
Not Bluetooth but WiFi which has a superior audio range -

GOOGLE Chromecast Audio

I built a system yesterday for the teenager using one of these into A Kenwood Ka 3020 Amplifier and tdl studio 10 speakers that I picked up eBay for silly low money.

I'm beginning to regret it coz its frickin loud and the bass makes the floors shake. Quality wise running the Cd player through the amp is better but the CCA is pretty good. Anyway, the kids don't know about HiFi coz they just use earbud headphones all the time, so to them it sound amazing.

You can cast from apps like Deezer and Spotify, but not play directly from the music app on a Ipod touch to the CCA

Apple’s music app only supports their proprietary AirPlay.

That’s why the comment above mine suggested the airport express if you want to AirPlay stuff.

AirPlay and Cast[-to] are both proprietary technologies, as is Bluetooth, so you can’t expect universal interoperability.

The most universal is just a Bluetooth receiver. Neither of the Airport Express or CCA are Bluetooth.

I don't think you can stream audio straight from a bluetooth enabled device to a Chromecast, in the same way that you would play it through headphones? At least that was what I found, as I bought a CCA when they first came out (they were discounted and it was a gadget I didn't have). You can cast from apps like Deezer and Spotify, but not play directly from the music app on a Ipod touch to the CCA (which was what I wanted to do with it). I put the CCA back in the box and there it's stayed, so I guess it may have changed by now, but that's how I found it and I think it won't suit the OP's needs.

Cheers,

Gaz

Ah, OK it needs to work with the Apple ecosystem. Maybe CCA is not the answer.

I stream Spotify from Android phones and iPads. I avoid Apple lock-in whenever possible.

FWIW CCA uses the same architectural principals as the Apple Airplay in that it send a signal direct from your router to the dongle.

Bluetooth sends it from your device to to the dongle. Doesn't sound as good, range is very limited, etc.

But still handy.

Bluetooth sends it from your device to to the dongle. Doesn't sound as good, range is very limited, etc.

Even my crappy hearing can tell the difference between MP3 and CD quality (at least, when it's played through the "good" stereo). But the iPod is handy for listening on a Friday night, when I've had a couple of beers and can't be ****d to get up and look for the right CD.. :)

"good enough, but not quite cd quality".

Exactly how I'd describe the Sony. It was about £50 IIRC so not cheap, but does what I wanted perfectly.

Cheers,

Gaz

I have an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station connected by Ethernet to my Mac Pro and an
Airport Express plugged in behind my hi-fi with a mini-jack to two phono cable plugged into one of the aux inputs on my Quad 77 preamp .

This allows me to stream audio from iTunes to my system and it works pretty well .

Elsewhere in the house we have an Amazon Echo and a dot in the kitchen - her ladyship streams content from her iPhone to each of these and I know the dot at least has a 3.5mm jack line out which could be connected to an amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom