Blyth, Northumberland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jerry270ML

Car
ML 270 cdi , C280, C32 AMG
Hello
I got a job offer in Blyth, Northumberland and I would like to know if someone can tell me few words about the city ( social life , safety , childcare )

Thanks a lot

Heroin capital of the North with a degrading town centre, however some really lovely places to live within a 15 mile radius like Morpeth, Tynemouth and the plush areas if Newcastle

^What he said.

Blyth itself is not a great place to live although thanks to the government policy of spending tons of cash in poorer areas rather than improve the decent ones, it has two fantastic parks for the kids - one in the centre, one at the beach.

I work with a couple of people who live there and they are genuinely nice, good people (as not to tar everyone with the same brush).

Easy to get to though, so anywhere within 5 miles is a 15 minute commute with plenty of good places to live within that.

Hope I haven't put you off?

Don't know what to say :) . I didn't know Blyth has this problems . I must give them an answer until Monday morning . And you are not the only one saying its a problem there with heroin and deprivation. :dk:

Don't know what to say :) . I didn't know Blyth has this problems . I must give them an answer until Monday morning . And you are not the only one saying its a problem there with heroin and deprivation. :dk:

As already mentioned there are plenty of nicer places within 10-15 miles of Blyth so you wouldn't have to live there

get up there it is a great county, with some good countryside.

You mention CITY!! Don't think Northumberland has one so if you are a city dweller then the quiet life may be a shock.

Not sure where you live but it is a fact it is a few degrees colder up North, especially on the east coast when you get Northerly or N'Easterly winds.

Thanks for the answers guys , I m not after a big city ( I m born and bread in countryside ) I m concerned about my family safety .

I googled a little about the area and indeed I found some nice places around Blyth.I live now in Leeds so a few degrees colder will not make too much difference .

Yeah.. and found one gag :
What has forty legs and two teeth?
A Blyth methadone queue .

Not funny( because addiction never is) ...thinking that I will work in a dental practice .

My sister is a Headteacher in Northumberland so I can find out some good schools if you wish. As others have said you don't have to live in Blyth and you can have the finest coastline or countryside within 10 mind drive of each other. Please feel free to PM me if you need specific info

I grew up in Blyth. It was a really interesting place to live!

There is still a problem with drugs. However it is nowhere near as bad as it was. The town centre is much improved, with a large market square and a small shopping centre. There are plenty of pubs (some are not recommended). There are many places to eat and are very competitively priced.
The beaches at Blyth and all of the Northumberland coast are stunning and are great for dog walking.
I still feel that Blyth gets a bad press due to the people being forthright and upfront with their mannerisms, this is sometimes judged to be aggression, it is not.
I grew up on South Beach Estate which is 1 mile outside of Blyth and the people were/are very friendly.
My two brothers still live in Blyth and would not contemplate moving, properties are also generally competitively priced.
Harrythedog is correct, Tynemouth, Whitley Bay and Monkseaton are very nice and are only 5 miles away.
South Beach first school and Seaton Sluice middle school are very good, I am unable to comment on the quality of the local High School which is relatively new.
If you need anymore detailed information please contact me.

Paul

I grew up in Blyth. It was a really interesting place to live!

There is still a problem with drugs. However it is nowhere near as bad as it was. The town centre is much improved, with a large market square and a small shopping centre. There are plenty of pubs (some are not recommended). There are many places to eat and are very competitively priced.
The beaches at Blyth and all of the Northumberland coast are stunning and are great for dog walking.
I still feel that Blyth gets a bad press due to the people being forthright and upfront with their mannerisms, this is sometimes judged to be aggression, it is not.
I grew up on South Beach Estate which is 1 mile outside of Blyth and the people were/are very friendly.
My two brothers still live in Blyth and would not contemplate moving, properties are also generally competitively priced.
Harrythedog is correct, Tynemouth, Whitley Bay and Monkseaton are very nice and are only 5 miles away.
South Beach first school and Seaton Sluice middle school are very good, I am unable to comment on the quality of the local High School which is relatively new.
If you need anymore detailed information please contact me.

Paul

Thanks for your answer. The job offer is for a dentist , I am wondering if the local people will came to see a dentist ( considering the deprivation in that area) or is the last thing they will think about . If the local drug addicts will came to the practice and ask for strongopioid painkillers , I have a friend who worked in a similar place and had few patients asking for morphine after a simple teeth clean up. :) . Also if they will fill fake claims or falsely accuse and drag you in a lawsuit trying to get some money .

Hoping I'm just being paranoid . And all my respect for the honest people living in the area , I was just referring to the small proportion of those who make troubles in every part of the world.

Wish you all a wonderful weekend

Thanks for your answer. The job offer is for a dentist , I am wondering if the local people will came to see a dentist ( considering the deprivation in that area) or is the last thing they will think about . If the local drug addicts will came to the practice and ask for strongopioid painkillers , I have a friend who worked in a similar place and had few patients asking for morphine after a simple teeth clean up. :) . Also if they will fill fake claims or falsely accuse and drag you in a lawsuit trying to get some money .

Hoping I'm just being paranoid . And all my respect for the honest people living in the area , I was just referring to the small proportion of those who make troubles in every part of the world.

Wish you all a wonderful weekend

Have a look at this website:
Crime map for Blyth, Northumbria Police - Police.uk

Of all the crimes in Blyth, only 8 are drug related. Most of the Anti social behaviour is in the 'Avenues' area.
When I was a regular in the pubs and clubs of Blyth, the drugs were available in these establishments. Not that I was involved in drugs at all.

If you let me know the actual postcode of the dentist I can probably advise further.

PS Blyth is the largest town in Northumberland

Looks like quite a nice place on googlemaps streetview - but then I'm in Nottingham...:eek:

Seems to be doing well for an ex-pit village (sorry 'town' ;) ) - commuter belt by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom