BMW 135i owner, now looking at 4.7L SL500 or 4L C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ahhh yes a manual! Downloaded! I also found this but it's apparently for saloon models.

The manual you linked suggests that the C63 either comes as a basic spec, or it comes with Premium Plus...would you agree? Ie. there's no inbetween, as opposed to the C43 (page 33), where you can opt for EITHER Premium or Prmeium Plus . Would you agree?

Page 62 of that manual also shows the switchable exhaust was OPTIONAL in all 2016/2017 Saloon and estate cars. Coupe is definitely standard from 2017. Also on the none S cars you don't get 'race' mode in the AMG dynamics set up on the pre facelift cars.

Yes! And also the sunroof wasn't optional! So I think it was only included with the premium package. The same with the burmester speakers (not optional). Therefore if a car has a sunroof/burmester speakers, then it must have the whole premium package.

That means I'm looking for:

-Premium package (which is really premium plus on the C63, but it's just called premium as there's only one premium package available)
-Sports exhaust
-Wouldn't mind the night package as well :)
-Will look at the interior trims but can't be too picky on that

Thanks very much for the manual..great link and explains everything.

Last edited:
Ok, so having another look over...It's called the premium package, but on the C63 and C63s, there is no premium plus available.

So...in conclusion, yes it's called "premium", but the premium package on the C63 contains the extras that you would get from the C43 and other model premium plus packages.

Clear as mud 😅

Yes! And also the sunroof wasn't optional! So I think it was only included with the premium package. The same with the burmester speakers (not optional). Therefore if a car has a sunroof/burmester speakers, then it must have the whole premium package.

That means I'm looking for:

-Premium package (which is really premium plus on the C63, but it's just called premium as there's only one premium package available)
-Sports exhaust
-Wouldn't mind the night package as well :)
-Will look at the interior trims but can't be too picky on that

Thanks very much for the manual..great link and explains everything.

Mine has the pan roof, switchable ex, Burmeister etc but I just assumed they were separate options - at no point did I even know this was the "Premium pack" so you learn something new everyday!
I also have the Night Pack, wood trim (not the piano gloss stuff) and red leather seats which were my other must have options.
Good luck with the search - it's worth waiting for the right one.

Ha, I'm always one to do a ton of research before buying a car.

The switchable exhaust was a separate option - not part of any of the packs :)

Your car sounds perfect...!

Black ash wood looks nice...is that what you've got? I imagine it just shows up fingerprints and scratches a lot less than the gloss black?

Nasty. Where was this if you don't mind me asking? I think they are targets but they aren't as targeted as cars like Golf R or Audi S3/S4 or RRs, mainly because the chavs wouldn't be able to control them on the getaway and the parts aren't as interchangeable.
I have a StopTrack tracker on mine -£400 and worth it - and also the Ghost which was about £400 again I think.
I've never had anybody sniffing around mine - but they did come looking at my wife's Golf GTi one night.

A lovely S63 was stolen from our road, which doesn't seem to have a lot of thefts.

Ha, I'm always one to do a ton of research before buying a car.

The switchable exhaust was a separate option - not part of any of the packs :)

Your car sounds perfect...!

Black ash wood looks nice...is that what you've got? I imagine it just shows up fingerprints and scratches a lot less than the gloss black?

Yeah this is mine.
y4m-dGFhr-9AQ-vNx_yWv9IDJM1HLnIkTKPpbxYQj95M_zWJQyQRP-3yFpuxigplg_FtJRb5TqPfySpJmBS_hQ0Pt6NwGqeA1eJKsWCYsiJ3YpmSAU0tCUsZtVj0Sn0KxKOPAstfS2LP7vcLVpscDpP_WU85uEIfg506mqUOV7yOp0TKB7W8uaYCLR9nGjyeOiFSgKisaOFYmVtAQCkJ23KeA

y4mVqLn1AqnV_E-BLGwbS90qkRSbqIToJn3YHOYioArd_NQQ9ZBT6XiGyhpRpTJIYFozo-83WeShPjP0yUC656YQke3Qn7rOX6oFdQrcWGVn4UbxHvOwv35edyHmCuYjcbnbVnXR4hah4v4k5POYgGuNQ88rlsrQgr_ilGR0dI7KaQoBzZlHYyqdITFOqarexQcKoQoxtbif5QEm-ljq1-wRA

y4mOWsS3nesd3-HIfFIA12CelhNJhTOcA_aJoW0r-J1W3Cu9dmca64ivR9i1cJA8ZHAbmG0VLCVqCoeXPLmh08gmIfLn3vTXDWA9Q5s2ReiGjmysKHJUjKTVcY7j7oonK17q4Ce285bDQo73vRRrAml8tKFhUOBGlciBUMGUv2384RyJxoCaLW1jJkY52N5K_Qw-wbP4_ie8bQ3_OGNZnhWjQ

The problem is the base 63 was about £65k, almost £68 with premium, and £72k for a 63s base... hence why a Lot of base saloons
Out of interest, what is the problem with the standard one?

There aren't any real problems, not with any of the maps around. The problem comes if you want to increase the power and match torque, a lot of German Tuners go 750hp and 950-1000nm of torque, which exposes the difference between a stock mechanical, electronic, and after market mechanical (eg Wavetrac). I wouldn't wind up the power on a stock mechanical diff, Quaife or Wavetrac would be the way to go.

Half the fun of the M177 is the on boost torque delivery, makes sense to utilise it.

The problem is the base 63 was about £65k, almost £68 with premium, and £72k for a 63s base... hence why a Lot of base saloons

There aren't any real problems, not with any of the maps around. The problem comes if you want to increase the power and match torque, a lot of German Tuners go 750hp and 950-1000nm of torque, which exposes the difference between a stock mechanical, electronic, and after market mechanical (eg Wavetrac). I wouldn't wind up the power on a stock mechanical diff, Quaife or Wavetrac would be the way to go.

Half the fun of the M177 is the on boost torque delivery, makes sense to utilise it.

Thanks for this info unimog.

When you say you "need" an uprated diff if you're tuning, I'm guessing you mean it's harder to get the power down from a standing start with the standard diff?

@unimog can you elaborate on this? Remapping might be on the cards in a couple years..so any information at this stage would be appreciated.

I'm not quite ready yet, but going to look at a couple cars tomorrow :)

@unimog can you elaborate on this? Remapping might be on the cards in a couple years..so any information at this stage would be appreciated.

I'm not quite ready yet, but going to look at a couple cars tomorrow :)

You need to drive a standard car and the take out a S model with the electronic diff to compare it, its vastly different handling characteristics.

The standard diff can't take 750hp no problem, but you can't use the power very well.

You mean can take? :)

Test drove one on Sunday...was lovely.

People with a C63 or C63s...do you pay for extended warranty? £2875/year from Mercedes...doesn't inspire confidence! From what I've read these engines don't go wrong often, but when they do I guess it's very expensive.

I've never seen a car warranty so expensive tbh. I still love the car, but that's a little off putting.

I've read that AMG approved used come with 2 years from main dealers, but on autotrader they seem to be advertised with a 1 year warranty. Anyone have experience with this?

People with a C63 or C63s...do you pay for extended warranty? £2875/year from Mercedes...doesn't inspire confidence! From what I've read these engines don't go wrong often, but when they do I guess it's very expensive.

I've never seen a car warranty so expensive tbh. I still love the car, but that's a little off putting.

I've read that AMG approved used come with 2 years from main dealers, but on autotrader they seem to be advertised with a 1 year warranty. Anyone have experience with this?
Yes for several years MB main dealers have offered 2 years approved used warranty. Perhaps they’ve changed that - check listings in the Mercedes website to be sure.

I’m guessing that the car doesn’t have a Mercedes warranty on it already, and has covered more than 60,000 miles. If it does then the cost pretty much doubles over 60,000 miles.

Yes, that should be can take it.

Warranty is an insurance policy, and you need to remember you are buying a £65-70k new list price car, which has parts and service Priced accordingly. A Ford Fiesta it ain’t. Put £3k in the bank just in case and don’t bother with warranty if you are not buying from a main dealer. If you modify the car the warranty on those parts is invalid anyway so best to keep a slush fund just in case.

Also if it doesn’t have full main dealer service you pay more.

Hey mate. I came from a highly tuned 135i N55 (which was bullet proof I have to say) to first the 6.2 litre C63 (w204) which I drove like hell for a couple of years and then the 4.0 litre biturbo w205 C63 (saloon) which I still have. So I've been on the same recent car journey as you. The w205 is without doubt, and easily, the best car I've ever owned. It is a beautiful drive and even nipping to the shops is an event. Make sure, whatever you do, you get the switchable exhaust option for the full snap crackle and pop. Good luck
I thought our relatives C63 was awesome when he took me for a spin around the lanes in North Wales... Until he told me he gets 9MPG 😳😳 That would do my head in haha

Yes, that should be can take it.

Warranty is an insurance policy, and you need to remember you are buying a £65-70k new list price car, which has parts and service Priced accordingly. A Ford Fiesta it ain’t. Put £3k in the bank just in case and don’t bother with warranty if you are not buying from a main dealer. If you modify the car the warranty on those parts is invalid anyway so best to keep a slush fund just in case.

Also if it doesn’t have full main dealer service you pay more.

I know how warranties work..! Had them in the past and have one on my car now :)

"don’t bother with warranty if you are not buying from a main dealer."... What do you mean? I'd most likely buy from a main dealer but surely a warranty is even more important if not from a main dealer.. Unless you're talking about those aftermarket warranties, but I'd never get one of those.

Yes for several years MB main dealers have offered 2 years approved used warranty. Perhaps they’ve changed that - check listings in the Mercedes website to be sure.

I’m guessing that the car doesn’t have a Mercedes warranty on it already, and has covered more than 60,000 miles. If it does then the cost pretty much doubles over 60,000 miles.

Yes looks like it's changed unfortunately.

Assuming the extended warranty website is functioning properly (Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranty cover), the cost of the warranty doesn't change with the mileage.. £2875/year whether it has 10,000 miles or 100,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom