BMW 330Ci Test Drive.......and beyond!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Before I start, let me give a little intro.

I normally decide on a car and tend to get it. I want to change my C230K sometime soon, but can't deicde on what. I had my heart set on a 330i Sport.

Some background:

After my 1st car (a mini) I saw a Black BMW 316 and bought it.

I then saw a Black 318iS, drove it and had to buy it. Just driving home after the test drive I was tearing my hair out at how bad my 316 felt in comparison.

I then saw a C200 Sport C-Class, drove it and bought it.

I then saw my C230K on a forecourt, drove it and, yeah you guessed it bought it.

So in summary, so far I have bought every car I have ever test driven :eek:

This afternoon I went to a BMW dealer looked at a few 330i's and went for a test drive in a 330Ci.

Oh dear. I'm a bit upset really. The car I had my mind set on is now not even on my short list. Sure it was nice, refined, solid, sounded nice, went OK. But AND YES I EAT MY WORDS from previous threads it ONLY went OK when between 6000rpm and the rev limiter at about 7500rpm. For those last 1500 rpm it pulled so hard, but until then it was a bit limp.

I got back in my car, thinking this is now the test, I bet it will feel worse than I recalled making the 330i to seem better, but no.

The drive home was wierd. Dissapointment that the 330i was not what I thought, but joy with the feeling my car had a new lease of life. It just goes from idle up. I like a revvy engine, but not one I have to drive in the red all the time.

Yes, a go in a 330d did cross my mind, but I don't think I could love with the noise. Diesels still sound like a Hackney Taxi when cold. They do.

So what's next?

I have been all around a Audi TT 1.8 225 and am pleased so far, so hope the 225BHP Turbo engine will give the drive I like when I test drive one next week................

Any other ideas for a sub £18K, less than 40K Miles used German pimp mobile with toys (Xenons a must) and 220+ BHP on tap with torque to match that runs on unleaded?

Last edited:
if you stretch a little bit, you can get an SL 500 ...

GrahamC230K said:
Before I start, let me give a little intro.

I normally decide on a car and tend to get it. I want to change my C230K sometime soon, but can't deicde on what. I had my heart set on a 330i Sport.

Some background:

After my 1st car (a mini) I saw a Black BMW 316 and bought it.

I then saw a Black 318iS, drove it and had to buy it. Just driving home after the test drive I was tearing my hair out at how bad my 316 felt in comparison.

I then saw a C200 Sport C-Class, drove it and bought it.

I then saw my C230K on a forecourt, drove it and, yeah you guessed it bought it.

So in summary, so far I have bought every car I have ever test driven :eek:

This afternoon I went to a BMW dealer looked at a few 330i's and went for a test drive in a 330Ci.

Oh dear. I'm a bit upset really. The car I had my mind set on is now not even on my short list. Sure it was nice, refined, solid, sounded nice, went OK. But AND YES I EAT MY WORDS from previous threads it ONLY went OK when between 6000rpm and the rev limiter at about 7500rpm. For those last 1500 rpm it pulled so hard, but until then it was a bit limp.

I got back in my car, thinking this is now the test, I bet it will feel worse than I recalled making the 330i to seem better, but no.

The drive home was wierd. Dissapointment that the 330i was not what I thought, but joy with the feeling my car had a new lease of life. It just goes from idle up. I like a revvy engine, but not one I have to drive in the red all the time.

Yes, a go in a 330d did cross my mind, but I don't think I could love with the noise. Diesels still sound like a Hackney Taxi when cold. They do.

So what's next?

I have been all around a Audi TT 1.8 225 and am pleased so far, so hope the 225BHP Turbo engine will give the drive I like when I test drive one next week................

Any other ideas for a sub £18K, less than 40K Miles used German pimp mobile with toys (Xenons a must) and 220+ BHP on tap with torque to match that runs on unleaded?

GrahamC230K said:
. But AND YES I EAT MY WORDS from previous threads it ONLY went OK when between 6000rpm and the rev limiter at about 7500rpm. For those last 1500 rpm it pulled so hard, but until then it was a bit limp.

?
KOMPRESSORS :rock:

X or Y reg C320 like wot I have?

Great engine, pulls strongly at low revs and cheap to insure to boot. Not very flash though.

Last edited:
The 330ci only has 300Nm of torque, your c230k has 280Nm and it's lighter, and the peak power is lower down the revs so you're away faster. The 330ci is probably a great car but performance-wise there won't be a huge step up from a c230k :) .

330d is a great car - you can chip it for around £600 and it will have near M3 performance with good economy though! I have driven a few of them, and I love the power :)

GrahamC230K said:

Drop in a C32 engine !

What about a W211 ?

In any event ..... driving on redline is going to lead to sadness with any car. The engine will fall to bits and I pity the next owner.

you could get a Mazda RX6 just about for that money... Even Jeremy Clarkson likes them so they cant be bad : :p

That was my point in the other thread Graham, my car is a 1.9TD and puts out more torque than the 330i, when driving my friends car it didn't feel 'special' enough, and certainly not £16k more than mine.....

IMHO if you want that change then perhaps a CLK430/E430/540i would be the type or car to go for. I had a scout on the Trader and a W/X reg car of that type could be yours for that budget.

I still think it'd be worth a try in a 330D - it would give you that 'torquey' feeling that you've got from your blower and could change your opinion of the 'taxi effect'.... ;)

Am trying to go sportier - so 540i is not an option - plus would not go in garage.

Thought of CLK430, but that is stretching the money and I fear running costs.

I have a test drive in a TT 225 tomorrow, and an S3 (non quattro) in a few days.

I think turbo has to be the way to go and Audi is all I can think of.

German + 4x4 + Turbo is making me get excited!

Well the TT really fits the bill as a PIMP MOBILE :cool:
May have a better image down by you but around Manchester its not somthing I would be seen driving, I dont have the "bling" for it

GrahamC230K said:
Am trying to go sportier - so 540i is not an option - plus would not go in garage.

Thought of CLK430, but that is stretching the money and I fear running costs.

I have a test drive in a TT 225 tomorrow, and an S3 (non quattro) in a few days.

I think turbo has to be the way to go and Audi is all I can think of.

German + 4x4 + Turbo is making me get excited!

S3 ?

Audi S4?

I fear the TT will disappoint Graham, my wife drove one prior to the Boxster S and whilst the interior was lovely and solid, that was about the end of it really. A Coupe version is a 2 seater, the rears are just about useless unless the driver is a midget. The 4 wheel drive system ruins the feel of the car, it just wasn't fun. It understeered like a b**tard as well.

How about a C43?

Not driven an S3 so can't comment.

Best of luck,
Greg

Graham,

have to say I'm not overly surprised at your findings regarding the 330i - I went on 3 test drives of 330i's when I was looking at changing from my C280, and came away disappointed each time. Looking at the figures, it's a quick car, but felt really dull and not any quicker compared with my C280. Head-to-head I guess this wouldn't be the case, but the enjoyment and feel of driving often matters more to me than how fast it really is (I read one comment on here about the 330i feeling the same to drive as an M3 - couldn't imagine 2 more different cars to drive, but maybe that's just me).

Greg beat me to suggesting the S4 - try one, reckon you'll love it. I was 'that' close to buying one a while back - only the lack of an auto gearbox stopped me. Really torquey feeling to the drive, loads of power at the top end, excellent grip, etc, etc - was one of the nicest cars I've ever driven. Believe it has the proper old torsen quattro system, rather than the less desirable haldex one that the TT / S3 has. Can pick them up at quite reasonable prices now (Fontain normally have a few), but is worth getting a warranty on the turbos - have been known to cost a few bob to replace....

@ Greg - you are not teh 1st I've heard to slate the TT handling, so we shall see.

I have had 2 W202's now so a C43 cant really cut it, as I need a change.

@Greg/Ed

Hmm, I've had a look at the S4's on the web. It would make my insurance rise more than the other cars, but only a few hundred and this is a very powerfull car, and less to insure than a E36 M3.

The last of the old shape A4's were 2001, so I could look at a late 2001 S4 I guess. Not many on the Audi dealer circuit though.

It's certainly appealing, I'll talk to the dealer tomorrow.

Hmm, have now read enough to put me pff an S4! Seems you need to get a good one or in for big bills!

Graham your car is a 140mph it is good looking and most of all well built! I drive other cars all the time and the only one have got me even considering it was that C43. The noise and performance was addictive! Mind you your licence might not like it!

BMs are everywhere, Audi interiors are great but performance/ handling is not great. W203s have dodgy build quality, w211s are ok as long as you dont have comand and memory seats but hardly sporting, s classes are brill but too big to be sporting.

IS300 is quick, well built, rare but eats tyres and is japanese.

Mazda 6 2.3 is nice, handles and doesnt fall to pieces.

otherwise get seriously modding on yours............

Graham - the TT is so common, but if you do go for one - the 225 is the only one - unless you can run to the new 3.2 V6 with DSG. The fact that Audi have a 150, 180, 225 and the V6 version all contributes to them being rather common.

They are great to look at though - I am very partial and nearly bought one when I got the SLK. It was the appalling Audi service that took me to MB.

There's a good TT forum where you can see the catalogue of faults owners have experienced and the generally poor Audi service too.

If you want the link - PM me and I'll send it to you.

R2D2 said:
Graham your car is a 140mph it is good looking and most of all well built! I drive other cars all the time and the only one have got me even considering it was that C43. The noise and performance was addictive! Mind you your licence might not like it!

BMs are everywhere, Audi interiors are great but performance/ handling is not great. W203s have dodgy build quality, w211s are ok as long as you dont have comand and memory seats but hardly sporting, s classes are brill but too big to be sporting.

IS300 is quick, well built, rare but eats tyres and is japanese.

Mazda 6 2.3 is nice, handles and doesnt fall to pieces.

otherwise get seriously modding on yours............

Ageed.

However my car is ageing and has 82K on the clock. I like a young model!

@ Pammy - I am registered and asking questions on http://www.tt-forum.co.uk

GrahamC230K said:
Ageed.

However my car is ageing and has 82K on the clock. I like a young model!

[/url]

Dont we all! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom