BMW 335D xDRIVE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evdok

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Brother just bought one, i am stunned how fast & economical it is:eek:

We've had ours for almost a year now.

Overall I am impressed with it, especially the tech. It does seem to run out of steam after the initial brutal acceleration to 100 and I had a few tank slappers in the snow which surprised me (yes I have winter tyres).

I have never seen the claimed mpg figures, but 40mpg is attainable which is a feat in itself from a 4 wheel drive, 3 litre twin turbo car weighing 1800kg.

So I have decided on a few AC Schnitzer performance mods to improve things, but not the styling as the M Sport looks good enough as it is I think.

S

Had bro's Beemer since Friday just to see how good it is, dam is it quick:eek: could do with better brakes also don't like the run flats, meaning to leave it in comfort mode to see how good the mpg is but i keep moving it back into sport mode accidentally:rolleyes:

Pic to follow:thumb:

Sounds nice!

BMW and Audi both have a similar offering with twin turbo diesel and AWD, it's curious that MB have been slow on the uptake.

Had bro's Beemer since Friday just to see how good it is, dam is it quick:eek: could do with better brakes also don't like the run flats, meaning to leave it in comfort mode to see how good the mpg is but i keep moving it back into sport mode accidentally:rolleyes:

Pic to follow:thumb:

Does it have the M Sport brakes? (Blue calipers)

First job in any .35 Beemer is to change the pads the ones they come with are absolutely useless. People usually swap to Ferodo DS 2000, Sparco pro or Pagid pro.

Even the BMW M5 ring taxis don't use BMW discs, calipers or pads.

These must be scary quick, a good friend has a stage 2 330d m sport and the boost is nearly un controllably surging, and this has another turbo. In a straight line there are plenty of quicker cars but nothing will match it real time driving

Benplym said:
These must be scary quick, a good friend has a stage 2 330d m sport and the boost is nearly un controllably surging, and this has another turbo. In a straight line there are plenty of quicker cars but nothing will match it real time driving

330d is just as good there is not much to call it between them personally I like the 330d single turbo very tuneable 335d is more fragile but when on form unbeatable in real time driving

I have been a little obsessed with the 335d xDrive ever since I read the stats. I thought at first it was a typo, but then checked and it's not! 0-60 in under 5 seconds? That's M3 territory! Nuts.....

The power of "family" cars is now getting scary, I'm currently doing a bit of work for a German manufacturer on a car that has the potential to put a lot of these to shame. It's 0 - 60 mph on paper is 3.9 secs but the test drivers have currently been getting 3.25 very consistently, and it doesn't use that devils fuel of diesel. I will be getting my hands on it to play with next month and putting it up against the M3 and C63 on the ring and at Hockenheim.

335d is more fragile but when on form unbeatable in real time driving

I don't know about that, I have been in France over the weekend - on some country roads I have had white vans positively glued to my bumper!

Tell me more about this fragility of the x35D engine, I am looking to use a tuning box but I toying with AC Schnitzer or Hartge to maintain warranty.

S

I don't know about that, I have been in France over the weekend - on some country roads I have had white vans positively glued to my bumper!

Tell me more about this fragility of the x35D engine, I am looking to use a tuning box but I toying with AC Schnitzer or Hartge to maintain warranty.

S

The reason the police use the 30d as opposed to the 35d is because of the fragile nature of the 35d under high speed conditions. When they were doing the approval testing of these the 35d's were just blowing out turbo's left right and centre. Plenty of info on the Beemer forums about 335 turbo's, can be sorted and car can be mapped to insane acceleration and speeds, but all comes at a cost. That said these were not X cars so dont know the turbo spec or set up of the X cars.

The other reason as you pointed out in your earlier post is it actually runs out of steam so the 0 - 155 mph figures aren't actually that good. a 30d actually beats it. That said in real world conditions where you are not likely to go over the initial 100 mph launch its pretty good.

If it were me I would go the Hartge route if you are thinking of tuning, those guys know what they are doing I had a Hartge 325 and it was a fantastic car.

These guys https://ecotune-scotland.co.uk/ are also the masters of the 30d and 35d I've driven several cars they have done and my Nephew runs a 30d done by them with decat and dpf delete it is awesome.

The power of "family" cars is now getting scary, I'm currently doing a bit of work for a German manufacturer on a car that has the potential to put a lot of these to shame. It's 0 - 60 mph on paper is 3.9 secs but the test drivers have currently been getting 3.25 very consistently, and it doesn't use that devils fuel of diesel. I will be getting my hands on it to play with next month and putting it up against the M3 and C63 on the ring and at Hockenheim.

I showed this to my petrolhead son Ian, and he asked if your company has a website (for a more general look see at what you do)?

Sorry if you've shared it before, but I didn't see it.

developer said:
I showed this to my petrolhead son Ian, and he asked if your company has a website (for a more general look see at what you do)? Sorry if you've shared it before, but I didn't see it.

John

We sold the company two and a half years ago but I still do a bit of consultancy now and again for a German manufacturer. Did some work with them a few years ago on their rally programme and get roped in now and again when they consider bringing something to the UK. These days it's more strategy than hands on driving though.

I think we still have all the website pages from the business and sure your son would be interested. I'll talk to my nephew who was the webmaster to see if we can get you access to this without making it live on the Internet again

Hope that helps

Pictures

So addictive....

Last edited:
image-75335910.jpg

The 335d has really impressed me this weekend. 700 miles averaging over 45mpg and I certainly haven't been taking it easy.

evdok said:
So addictive....

See, I always liked the 5 series, but then I sat in one and my decision swayed to the Merc. Nice red seats though.

I've had my 330d just over a year now and covered 27k faultless miles. I'm really impressed with the speed and economy of it and should of bought one years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom