BMW 530d vs CLS 350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I'm reading one of Jeremy Clarkson's Sunday Times motoring pieces collections at the moment, and a recurring theme is what a very good all-round car the 2017-on BMW 5-series is. I wonder if a 530d estate, with X-Drive, might be significantly better than the 2013 CLS 350 SB (not so much in the toys area, but as a luxurious mile-muncher that drives very well overall)? Certainly BMW seems to have offered a better range of interiors and paintwork colours than MB, and there are some nice lookers out there. Has anyone had both cars, and can give me an informed comparison?

I test drove the 530d and the E350 circa 2012 vintage, and whilst the BMW is undoubtedly the better driving experience, my requirement at the time was 18k miles a year of skull grindingly boring and frustrating start stop motorway traffic. So comfort, ease and waft was a higher priority. The BMW interior felt slightly smaller also (might be more on a par with the CLS).

If you want a large estate than can (occasionally?) be driven quite hard with quite a lot of response, then the BMW is the better option in my opinion. BMW usually have better power than the Mercs by fraction.

I'm a fan of the looks with the twin 5 spokes as well!

The 5 series is best thought of as a driver focussed, slightly more compact E class, rather than a CLS, which is more a competitor to the hopeless 6 series Grand coupe.

It’s a motoring journalist cliché that the 5 series estate is all the car that you will ever need…. But not want. (Jeremy, Matt, Tiff and Richard Porter have all been saying this for four generations now)

I just can’t buy them because the G31’s too ruddy expensive for what they are, and too big, IMHO, to be a “driver’s car.” For something that big, I’d rather be in a more relaxed E or S. (In the real world who hustles big ones?). For my runaround estate, the F31 is big enough, being the same size as the old E61.

The Idrive has significantly improved, and maybe is ahead of Comand, but that’s all a matter of taste. It’s not the turn off that it was on the early 5ers. You might also find that all the touch controls are a bit less glitzy.

Likewise the runflats and M Sport suspension aren’t the nightmare that they used to be. An SE is probably closer to MB taste but the MSport isn’t too irritating on British roads any more.

Finally, you’ll find these ex Company cars are very poverty spec. “It’s all about the Wheelbase” in Corporate Management. People want the size but not the BIK bill, So you’ll struggle to find petrol, light interiors, Nappa leather and premium touches. There’s an absurd amount of used base diesel stock sat out there, but finding one to your taste won’t be easy.

The best way to judge it for yourself? Just rent one from Avis on a trip. Two or three days on the road will tell you all you need to know, from size to suspension.

Last edited:
Thank you, gentlemen. Interesting...

The G31 has within a smidgen the same external dimensions as the CLS SB, so that's not a problem. There's nothing wrong with the CLS, but maybe the BMW would be better? The CLS has been remapped, so performance is likely to be much the same as a stock 530d; it's adequate for me.

I'm watching these three:

2017 BMW 5 Series 530d xDrive M Sport Touring Estate Diesel Automatic | eBay

Winsford is only a few miles from where I'm spending Christmas, which may be Fate...

Here we are on an MB forum and people are recommending a BMW ? For me I just do not like the BMW image or the reputation of the drivers of BMW :rolleyes:

Here we are on an MB forum and people are recommending a BMW ? For me I just do not like the BMW image or the reputation of the drivers of BMW :rolleyes:
I think most us love cars, not just Mercedes, so with a few exceptions most MBClub members are quite objective about other Marques.

It’s been a long time since I had a go in a 5-Series but over time the E-Class has progressively more and more like a BMW to drive, and the 5-series has become more a Mercedes. Eating each others breakfast. I can’t help but think that the gap is smaller than ever.

I had a 528i in 1988, but it was an old one even then. I wasn't overwhelmed.

If motorway biased then MB. Conversely, mixed roads with many "A" then BMW.

Looks wiser the SB wins. Practicality wise it the "conventional estate".

I like the Ford Winsford car. Well, apart from the price.

My F31 is Mediterranean blue, as was my previous F30. It's a rare colour.

IMHO, variable suspension is well worth having, but you've heard that from me before. Make sure that you switch between Eco, Comfort and Sport to understand the difference it makes.

They may be the same external length, but it'll seem way bigger on the inside - especially at the back. They do feel the size of an earlier 7 series: way too big for my needs now that I'm not driving four adults regularly.

Those are all Xdrives. That means 10% less fuel economy and a more nimble feel on the corners. Examine whether your driving really justifies the extra weight and loss of fuel economy - expect 38-40mpg. In Northern Europe four wheel drive makes a lot of sense - in South East England: not so much, unless you're right pedal heavy. (I suspect that xDrives may depreciate a bit more after the first owner, but check it out for yourself.)

The two M Sports on 20 inch wheels? Not my taste - each to their own. They'll drive very differently to the SE on 19's with variable suspension.

Last edited:
Yup the latest 5 as an M5 is devastatingly fast and much more refined than it’s E63 competition but, I would still take a normal W213 over the normal 5 series everytime.

Attachments

• 39003ABF-9C9C-4F0E-B01D-B9BD5F93F79E.jpeg
    39003ABF-9C9C-4F0E-B01D-B9BD5F93F79E.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 17
Brand loyalty is great, but it helps to objectively examine the competition.

And, of course, sometimes MB misses a step, whether it's the drivability of a C300e or creativity of some new MB designs.

(And, yes, these are from the official MB Press pack)

mercedes-eq-concept-eqg-teaser-2560x1440-09-2021.jpeg

mercedes-benz-eqb-concept_100805542_m.jpg

WTF... :eek:

Meanwhile, in the real world... The Winsford car has gone, but from what's been said on here, I think I'd be better off sticking with the CLS anyway. Thank you all again.

As we've said a few times, debating the pros and cons helps get to the right answer. Whatever that is.

And if anyone's wondering, yes, that's the Press pack for the EQG concept car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom