BMW 740iL

• Thread starter Deleted member 6183
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just back from a week in Padstow, close to 500 mile round trip and 36MPG which I am delighted with.

I am less delighted about my neighbour's tradesmen blocking my drive and now having 2 dents, a scratch and a scuff around my rear wheel arch from manoeuvring around their poxy van.:mad:
I hope the damage is not too severe

I hope the damage is not too severe
If I'm honest I guess that it's about £500.

I'd rather not spend it but the van driver doesn't feel responsible and neither does his boss.

The neighbour seems to think that I should ask for the vans to be moved, I disagree, it's not my job to organise his trader's vehicles.

I suspect that there are more words to be had, mine will mainly be offensive ones.

Shame to drive your lovely car into their van rather than asking them to move though.

Shame to drive your lovely car into their van rather than asking them to move though.
I didn't.

I caught my car on my own gate post trying to get by, my elderly Mum was waiting for me in the village.

They both said that I should have asked them to move but why should I? He should not have been there really.

Cause and effect I suppose, even if they are legally correct.

Sorry to hear Lew.

Why are they parking in front of your gate? Does your neighbour not have a driveway?

Sorry to hear Lew.

Why are they parking in front of your gate? Does your neighbour not have a driveway?

Yeah mate, they have a drive but it's been occupied by a broken car for 10 years and, over the last 4 months, a skip as well.

Yeah mate, they have a drive but it's been occupied by a broken car for 10 years and, over the last 4 months, a skip as well.

They shouldn’t be parking in front of your gate nevertheless pal, you must make this clear to both the builders and the neighbour!

It's got everything that I need, the key is a bit of a gimmick and I can live without an iPad in the centre armrest. The only things which are new to me are massage front seats and heated back seats.

Almost forgot the ambient lighting which I have turned up to max and reminds me of some very happy times at my local Roxy in 1998.

1998, YOU ARE JUST A WHIPPER SNAPPER !! Just wait until you grow up and meet LEXUS!

They shouldn’t be parking in front of your gate nevertheless pal, you must make this clear to both the builders and the neighbour!
Too late now, the damage is done and they're not responsible by law.

Unfortunate, but I'm afraid I agree with your neighbour. You should have asked him to move it before attempting to get past.

A few choice words towards him for parking there in the first place wouldn't go amiss, along with a request not to park there again.

Have you another car you can use to block his departure if he does it again:devil:?

The house opposite my driveway has had much work done over the past couple of years and vans, trucks et al have made life a bit tedious for me but I too was reluctant to ask them to move and struggled through. My view being is they have to be aware of the inconvenience they're causing and the neighbours should be encouraging them to be more courteous but it seems they haven't. I'll get my chance to be legally awkward some time in the future. :cool:

My colleague's car had a touchpad LCD display in the rear centre armrest. To be honest I don't remember if this armrest made the car a 4-seater rather than a 5-seater... I have never seen it folded so not sure if it could be folded... his car also had HUD, and it could be parked remotely.

You are very lucky to find a petrol car... most 7-Series in recent years were Diesels. The petrol ones are relatively rare.

True, most 7er's are sadly diesel. My brother has a LWB 730d with rear entertainment and has the rear LCD screen, it's actually a tablet to control the Rear Entertainment and IIRC the climate control etc. The tablet folds away with the centre arm rest. There are some great options available on the 7er's, like the sky roof and individual rear seats.

I considered getting a 7er when I picked up the X6 M, would have loved an M760 Li but they are £££, would have 'settled' for a 750 but again none on the market when I was looking. Most of the ones I came across were the 740e hybrid, those are a 2 litre hybrid so IMHO not quite powerful enough (although a friend in Central London has one and rates it highly) as does a colleague with the same engine in the 530e. There is now a new 286hp 3 litre petrol hybrid (745e / 745 Le) which I've yet to try.

On the plus side the 7 is doing the same MPG around town as the 1 series.

Downside is that the same = 18MPG.

However, these cars were supplied, when new, with a 5 year warranty which is transferable to me, the next owner.

Happy days.

18 MPG - eek, that's not far off what I get in my X6 M

I thought the warranty was always 3 years? that's a great result if it's a 5 year warranty too. I know that they always used to come with a 5 year service pack as standard (or it could be removed for a discount!). From around late 2017 I believe the service packs became 3 years / 50k miles. As yours is a 17 plate I imagine you have the balance of the 5 year service pack still?

ISTR that access out of your driveway (and the prevention of) is viewed somewhat more seriously than access into it.

If a gap is too small for your car to get through then why even try?

Maybe a refresher course would help. :D

I didn't.

I caught my car on my own gate post trying to get by, my elderly Mum was waiting for me in the village.

They both said that I should have asked them to move but why should I? He should not have been there really.

Cause and effect I suppose, even if they are legally correct.
“Excuse me pal, do you mind doing me a favour and try and keep my driveway clear please, it’s a nightmare to get out without scraping my car”

‘Yes mate, no problem, any bother just give me a shout’

“Nice one - and if he doesn’t give you enough cups of tea, give me a knock buddy”

‘That’s very kind of you, thanks’

*Builder walks off giving his staff a warning to keep clear of your drive*

Pretty simple? Or do you prefer the British way where you huff and puff and expect folk to be mind readers? :D

“Excuse me pal, do you mind doing me a favour and try and keep my driveway clear please, it’s a nightmare to get out without scraping my car”

“Nice one - and if he doesn’t give you enough cups of tea, give me a knock buddy”

Pretty simple? Or do you prefer the British way where you huff and puff and expect folk to be mind readers? :D
I just expect people to not be selfish twats.

I thought the British way now is to simply shank him for lack of respect or is that the London way[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom