BMW 840ci

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mudster, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Mudster

Mudster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
    Now that nearly all the SEC parts are gone (bar the shell) I'm itching for something to drive at weekends/the odd sunny day....

Time meant I was never going to build the SEC to a standard I wanted, but I'd like something to wrap up and use when I get the opportunity.

I've always quite liked the 8 series, I guess I have a thing for pillarless GT coupes......

Are these a right nuisance? Bear in mind I was happy to run an SEC with all the faults they have....SHould I simply avoid these at all costs or would it make an enjoyable third car?

Quite like the look of this one, lovely colour:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-840-Coupe-Ci-Sport-Individual_W0QQitemZ200269770237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item200269770237&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

2. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Clickable link HERE ;)

Ultra rare with great road presence... if you have to go to the darkside :)

3. fyonn

fyonn Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 330d
    looks beautiful. if you get one, I'll be jealous :)

4. High-Lo

High-Lo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2013 X166 Mercedes GL350, Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet, Porsche 968 Cabriolet
    I have always liked these and still do :)

5. The G.F.P

The G.F.P Hardcore MB Enthusiast

i like them and always have

my mate was parts manager at a bmw garage and said these cars were a pain in the ****, the electrics constantly go wrong and spare parts are neigh on impossible to get 2nd had and a fortune new, they dont handle well and depreciate like a pig

i looked at one about 6 years ago and he siad do not get one and if i did not not bring it to him when it goes wrong not if it goes wrong

6. buccal

buccal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
  7. Uberwagon

Uberwagon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 500E
    Watch for electrics so check everything works.

Otherwise a cracking car imo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was at a classic car show in Bourne, a very rare 850 CSI :cool:

Dave!

8. fyonn

Car:
    BMW 330d

extremely rare, only 1700 odd made I believe. 5.6l V12 engine breathed upon by the M division (though it's not an M engine as such), extremely smooth, 380bhp (doesn't sound a lot these days does it?) and passive rear wheel steer.

and it's got my favourite 8 series alloys on too.

love that car.

always thought it was a crying shame that it never got the 5l V8 M5 engine. it would have fitted as that engine was an evolution of the 4.4l v8 in it anyway.

dave

9. OP
    OP
    Mudster

Car:
    Actually the black one looks nice, nice wheels too.

So £10,000 looks like the money for a decent one?

I guess it's something I'd need to buy a warranty for if I decide to go down that route.

Looks like lots of positives which surprised me.

As much as I like the CSi, I just don't like manuals, certainly not in a car of this nature....in a TVR sure, but these are big cruisers.

Always liked the design though, thought they were and still are very pretty cars.

10. discodom

discodom Member

thumbs up!

Always liked the design though, thought they were and still are very pretty cars.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree - have always loved them myself - still a head turner in my book.

11. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Someone in the next village used to have a bright purple one. Very distinctive, but a colour which is easier on the eye would be better!!

12. MBK

MBK Hardcore MB Enthusiast

I love the 8 series, it was a choice between that and a CE but i got the CE

13. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    I have seen a few.. lovely cars but they do go wrong and they are EXPENSIVE due to the rarity.
    Ensure any warranty you get has a huge claim limit.

One of our neighbours had a violet coloured 850... very very nice but he used it very sparingly and the rest of the time it was at the dealers...

14. OP
    OP
    Mudster

Car:
    Advice on warranties please.....it seems if I do go the route of one of these cars I need a top quality warranty to go with it...

So who's the best in that respect?

15. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    They are stunning cars IMO. I have also heard horror stories about running them though. Good luck if you go for it!

16. MBK

MBK Hardcore MB Enthusiast

isnt the 850 block just two 2.5 engines stuck together(to make the 5litre V12)? so when it comes to servicing its two of everything. So you may want to take that into consideration when looking at them.

17. Joe_SP

Joe_SP Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2013 E250 & 1999 M3
    Practical Performance Car printed a buyers guide earlier in the year, it may be worth getting hold of a copy if you are thinking of buying.

18. stumpy1

stumpy1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various Mercs and non Mercs
    We had a 750il - same engine as the 850. Very smooth and decently swift BUT so many ecus on the car and caused a whole world of pain when it went wrong.

Stick to the 840i for simplicity, but I can't remember if the v8s suffered from the bore wear problems so check this out.

19. fyonn

Car:
    BMW 330d
    it did, the Nikasil issue. most 840's should have had that fixed by now, it was free. that said, make sure that you check :)

20. MPG

MPG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

I owned an 840Ci Sport in Orient blue with pale silver grey leather interior and the (optional) wider bolted cross-spoke alloys. Bought it from a main dealer at about a year old & kept it for about 4 years. The only warranty claims I had were for a new set of rear alloys (the lacquer lifted), new batteries & a new trip computer display (they're the dot matrix type & it's not uncommon for a few of the dots to die).

Other than that nothing went wrong - the 4.4 litre V8 with Stpetronic 5 speed box I found pretty bombproof (same engine as fitted into the 540 & 740 of similar vintage).

My only advice would be to make sure you buy a later 840 with a 4.4 litre (forget the earlier 4 litre) & don't touch the quite frankly awful 850Ci with it's 5 litre V12. As already mentioned the 5.6 litre 850CSi is quite another proposition, but if you don't want to change gear yourself it's a bit of a pain as they are manual only.

Incidentally, I've been toying with buying another one for a while & was considering going to look at that black 840Ci Sport at Motorhouse of Shipley too. The wheels are standard for the Sport models and are commonly referred to as "rotoblades" - personally I think the bolted cross spoke wheels look nicer, but they are a bit of a pig to keep clean.

One final note - you weren't expecting to use the rear seats were you ?? - they're tiny & you can't even sit one person sideways across the back owing to the huge intrusion of the transmission tunnel. Much better to just fold them flat (as with a 911) & use them as extra luggage space.

Hope this helps. :)

Tags: