BMW 840ci

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My ex Boss had one. Constantly gave trouble. The "window drop" mechanism to aide entrance proved a bothersome area, mechanicals were solid enough but the electicals were a nightmare.

However he still regrets selling his, (He had the V12 one)

I can't really comment too much on costs as the car was covered by a BMW warranty for the duration of my ownership. However, as I've said in previous posts other than routine servicing the warranty was only used to supply two new batteries, two new rear rims & a new trip computer. Other than that I put 40k miles on it without a beat being skipped.
Obviously if things go wrong, the bills can soon begin to mount, but I all believe we're pragmatic enough on here to know that with older cars, especially those bristling with cutting edge technology (for its day) that's an inevitable of ownership.
Buy one & enjoy it :D Only 3040 were sold in the UK, so you know you've got a pretty rare machine.....I for one will definitely have another on the drive one day.

My ex boss had a V12 version when it was new

It had so many gagets back them, the windows lowered slightly then raised when you shut the door, the steering wheel lifted up for you (Big German belly) to get out.

It was very nice but from memory the v12 was almost too quite, maybe the v8 would be the one to go for.

I would be worried about bills on something like that. If you pay 6k say, something going wrong could easily cost 1K and thats a huge proportion of the value of the car.

Is Blackbushe the place to go for this kind of thing?

I would say not. Auctions are great for three year old Mondeos direct from lease companies but for a car like an 840 you'd be better off being able to spend an hour checking it over properly.

had a drive in the 850 csi v12 cant say i was taken with it very dull .the owner got shot of it due to the cost of parts & he has a few garages & petrol stations ect .he lost a right few bob on that thing

Consensus seems to be the 850i is one to miss, I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that the 4.4i 840 was more powerful, handled better and had a lot of the problems ironed out. Including the Nikasil issues.

I guess that's why 850i's are a giveaway price.

I'll have a good look in the new year.

I went from a 420 SEC (1987) into a 840 ci (1994) and loved it. This was a long time ago but I just loved the BMW. If you can find a sport version (bucket seats front and rear spoiler) private sale out the small adds with two or three owners and a fsh I am sure you will have a ball with it.

I'm pretty much sold on one of these, later 840 ci sports...I'm in no rush as it's a toy, so I'll browse until that certain car jumps out at me.

The Black/Black one earlier in this thread looks nice, I'm keen on something a little different. Purple or similar for a bit of fun.

Definitely want the Sport model - the non sport seats look ugly in my opinion & don't have the extendable squab - handy if you're reasonably tall to ensure adequate underthigh support. The sport also features a chin spoiler & side skirts which are very nicely integrated. Bootlip spoilers were optional & to be honest I wouldn't bother with one...in fact, I'd probably have it removed together with any "M" badges which sometimes find their way onto the rump of these vehicles !! :rolleyes:

Someone in the next village used to have a bright purple one. Very distinctive, but a colour which is easier on the eye would be better!!

Hope it's not the one that died when we moved house. Our removal firm parked their lorry on the corner, Brian (BMW driver, pale trousers, blue/green jacket) came round, low sun (nov 2007) straight into his eyes, didn't even see the lorry. Lorry bent it's bumper, BMW written off. No injuries. Police called, no fault for lorry driver, despite being parked illegally. Wonder what is worth more the car (before) or the number plate ?

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

WLeg - no, it was even brighter purple!! :eek:

Good looker the 8 series, but every review i've ever read about the 8 series seems to summise the car with the word 'flop'.

Appreciate it's a matter of choice/taste, but how about a 928GTS or classic M635 CSI ?

cheers
talbir

Good looker the 8 series, but every review i've ever read about the 8 series seems to summise the car with the word 'flop'.

Appreciate it's a matter of choice/taste, but how about a 928GTS or classic M635 CSI ?

cheers
talbir

I just like the aesthetics of it, but then when I look back at the cars I thought "Wow" about when I first saw them, many of them have been classed as also rans.....the Ferrari 400i/412i I thought was lovely, you practically have them given away now.

The 8 series BMW did it for me, it was purely the design, I just love it.

The reason it appeared to be a flop was mainly bad timing, plus it really wasn't sure what it was, after all it was never a really a four seater, the SEC was a far better car for that.

Porsche 928, like the 8 series is a marmite car, I like the lines of pillarless coupes, I'm reasonably sure that's why I'b be quite keen on a '67/'68/'69 Camaro also.....

It's personal taste, nothing more, nothing less. I wouldn't dream of buying any of the Gemballa/Koneig cars you love, I think they are awful. but I completely understand why you like them....just don't float my boat.

Last edited:
Why is that illegal parking, there is no junction or yellow lines.?

not sure - the corner is blind maybe, although as you say, there are no road markings. My comment was based on what the attending police officers said.
There is more to the story.... police attended this accident, and were about to leave, when another car came round the corner, and hit the police car, without stopping.....2nd police car went after it, and got stuck on the side of the road.....We lived there for two years, and there wer 2 accidents, not including this one in that time.

Maybe because it was on the kerb ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom