BMW 840i gran coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

regbuser

Car
CLS 350d
Well, after several very nice MBs, but declining service levels, I've defected to BMW.
Saw in showroom, and got that 'I want it now' feeling!
Spec and pics to follow

Good choice , the stonking B58 motor coupled to the ZF8 is a great combo. Was recently contemplating replacing my 440i but cant find a suitable replacement and why would i change something that impresses me every time i drive it.

Dont know what MB servicing is like now but the BM gets a "biggie" every four years (mine was done yesterday) , oil change every two years , brake fluid every two years - all dependent on mileage of course , my `10 CLS was around 60% more expensive to keep the history up to date.

My local BM dealers knock MB out of the park for customer service from what i have found over the last eight years of owning both marques.

K

Looks lovely! Great colour. 👍🏻

I love the colour combo, the presence, the drive, seating, accessories.
Previously loved the CLS range, but this is so much sharper than the C257.
Combined with generous discounting from 78 to 63, plus 2.9% finance - no brainer.

I think the previous 6 Series and the 8 Series have more visual presence than the current or previous CLS.

The current 8 Series also is one of the best looking of the current BMWs (I'm of the opinion that they have made the latest 7 Series look quite ugly - should have kept it closer to the 8)

One thing I notice from your images is that they have lost the Hofmeister kink from the rear door. I didn't notice that last time I was in a showroom - obviously not paying attention.

That’s absolutely stunning. Wish you good health to enjoy. 🥳👍👏

@regbuser That looks amazing. Love the color combo! I was so tempted to get one of these when BMW had some dirt cheap lease deals on these (£13,200 for 24 months which is £550 a month) but my circumstances didn't permit me to take the deal. I wish you many happy miles of trouble free motoring!

Looks nice. After 2, S class Mercs, bought a 6 series Grand Coupe thinking it would be sporty yet comfy. It was neither sporty or comfy. Traded it after about 6 weeks for another S class. lost a fortune mainly due to large discounts they give on new & obviously the vat content. Will stick to Mercedes

Fair enough, I would have stuck with Merc, but they didn't give a shite when I had a loom problem on a high value car, after several previous not inexpensive cars throughout the years. Plus declining levels of general service. Plus non-competitive financing for both new and used sales, and rigid adherence to company policy = bye bye Mercedes.
In contrast, BMW couldn't be more helpful, plus a range of cars in my desired bracket, great financing, vast colour range, anything other than black for interior, and an engaging driving experience.

In contrast, BMW couldn't be more helpful, plus a range of cars in my desired bracket, great financing, vast colour range, anything other than black for interior, and an engaging driving experience.

Grass is always greener.

I had a 640d and SWMBO has had Z4s and came away with a feeling that BMW service wasn't great. Took too long to get appointments. And I had to pay a small amount up front before they would agree to deal with a warranty problem which shouldn't have happened. I fell out of love with the car after 18 months and couldn't wait for the lease to come to an end.

SWMBO is on her second Z4. The first had three alloys crack. No warranty or goodwill. We had two welded and replaced one. After the next failure II replaced all the alloys with non OEM. No more cracks. Then there was the issue of water ingress into the rear light cluster - first replaced under warranty - second out of warranty - then the warranty replacement failed and had to be replaced pout of warranty. The non-warranty replacements were done with non-OEM parts (you might sense a pattern here!) - no further failures. (You might also ask why SWMBO went for another Z4 ....... ).

I don't think there's much to choose between MB and BMW in terms of cars these days. Both are actually pretty good at what they do. Both seem to be matching each other too closely in terms of models - which indicates that the soul of both is now in the hand of the marketing departments. I think the real pick of the range of both marques is now the C and 3 - whereas 10 years ago it was probably the E and 5. BMW had a lead with the ZF 8 speed auto but the MB 9 speed is now within a hair of it. I'm not entirely convinced that BMW electric steering is very good - but I seem to be in a minority of those heretical enough to question it. I'm less conviced by MB's ability to style an interior than BMW but MB are gradually getting better. And I think MB take more p*ss on service schedule and prices .

I still can't figure how MB got trapped into the styling black hole. They just can't get the whole car as right as BMW can (that said BMW's front grill fetish looks like they are going down the Lexus self harm styling route if the 7 series is anything to go by).

However .... take a CLS and stick it next to your 840 GC. Which has more presence? The CLS is a actually a nice package in terms of spec - but IMO it isn't visually in the same league.

I dare say you're right, dryce; perhaps after a few years of BMW ownership I'll return to the fold.
The CLS invented the grand coupe, but of the current crop, only the GT4C and 8 series GC are lookers, imho.
And the GT4C is a little out of my bracket..

Love the interior colour. I’m a fan of two tone interiors too.

Love the interior colour. I’m a fan of two tone interiors too.

I think too many people go for black or the ivory white (the white looks good in the showroom - but I'd worry about looking after it).

The warm brown IMO tends to looks even better in the flesh than in pictures. And the brochures don't always do it justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom