BMW badge? Quick Quiz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rf065

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
On a TV program I watched yesterday, I found out what the blue & white part of the BMW badge represents.

Anyone care to guess,

Russ

Revolving airplane propellors ;)

supposedly they symbalise the rivers and lakes dotted over the state of Bayern. sometimes you see the blue/white as jagged flags and that signifies the choppy wavelets that form in windy weather on the lakes.

myself; i think it means good beer can be found here!

do i win?

Sorry, urban myth I'm afraid :crazy:

Russ

Really? It's also to do with the blue and white colours of the bavarian flag.

This is what BMW state on their website (which I didn't know):

What is the corporate logo?

The famous white and blue symbol of BMW stems from the company's origins as aeroplane engine manufacturers.
Many aircraft were painted in regional colours and those of the Bavarian Luftwaffe were the Bayern white and blue.
It is said that the pilot's view through the propeller was one of white and blue
alternating segments.

Through the years this image has become stylised into solid quarters of blue and white to declare the identity of today's BMW cars and motorcycles. Since the end of the 1970s BMW has worked to create a standardised international image in terms of statement and presentation so that today whenever people encounter the company's symbols they recognise BMW.

oh. I thought you were asking why THOSE PARTICULAR colours were the ones used seeing as the B stands for Bayerische.

BMW in Germany is known as Bayerische Mist Wagen in other states/regions - plug that into google;)

According to the TV program, the propeller myth has been told so many times that even BMW believed it to be true.

When they (BMW) researched it though, they found the blue and white was there to represent the colours of the Bavarian flag.

Russ

According to the TV program, the propeller myth has been told so many times that even BMW believed it to be true.

When they (BMW) researched it though, they found the blue and white was there to represent the colours of the Bavarian flag.

Russ

Well we better email the TV company and say mbclub has researched it and theyre wrong. I too thought it was view through prop - or is it really an airscrew ;)

Well we better email the TV company and say mbclub has researched it and theyre wrong. I too thought it was view through prop - or is it really an airscrew ;)

The TV programme was made in BMW factories and it was a BMW executive that stated they researched the badge and it did not stand for propellors, but the Bavarian flag. (it was Mega Factories or something - building the Z4 from start to finish)

Russ

WikiPedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW:

"The circular blue and white BMW logo or roundel is often alleged to portray the movement of an airplane propeller, an interpretation that BMW adopted for convenience in 1929, which was actually twelve years after the roundel was created.In fact, the emblem evolved from the circular Rapp Motorenwerke company logo, from which the BMW company grew. The Rapp logo was combined with the blue and white colors of the flag of Bavaria to produced the BMW roundel so familiar today. Thus, the logo was created before BMW ever tested an airplane engine."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom