BMW better than merc because

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also, in terms of old cars, why are there more mercs around than beemers? *Cough NIKASIL*
end of story
I think you'll find there are just as many old Beemers knocking around. Probably more so than Mercedes. *Cough RUST*

I think both marques have an image problem -

BMW for it's "get the f*** out of my way"

Mercedes for it's "I drive a Merc, kindly move, lowly peasant"

Though the older Mercs have much more charm and character.

If I'd bought a £30k + car I'd expect it to have working indicators :D

With the 3 and 5 series BMW they seem to be a cost option that usually gets missed off the list.

Except that the little people respond much better when you're polite to them :D

Dont get me wrong I like both marques but for me it's Mercedes because,

* A much varied selection of large cube engines.

* Engines used more in other exoctic marques.

* Mercedes Benz racing history that goes back to the begining of man :D

* Loads of hidden surprises in the Mercedes line up - Is there a secret old rodder in the MB ideas dept that throws in the odd hidden gem every now and then like the SL7.3 or W202 C55.
I get the impression they chat over a cuppa, " Can we really do that ? " - " yea go on, lets see if we can squeeze it in the engine bay ". Love it!!

* And of course the 3 pointed star.

That list could be a little unfair on BMW as I havent really researched their cars, so I'm willing to stand corrected.

Last edited:
Mercedes for it's "I drive a Merc, kindly move, lowly peasant".

There is a perception that Mercedes drivers believe they own the road. I can confirm that this is, in fact, absolutely true.

I had one of the internal roads in my caravan park resurfaced last year, at a cost of several thousands of pounds. I do own that road. I have the bill from the tarmac people to prove it.

:bannana:

Whilst I would concede that BMWs are, generally, dynamically superior, I still prefer Mercs. My mate has an E46 330ci sport, it's a great car. It handles much better than my barge, it's probably slightly faster in a straight line too. Would I swap? Nope. There's just something about a Merc, an almost intangible quality they have IMO, and it's something that a BMW just doesn't have. :)

It has been said - IMAGE

BMW - You are still climbing the greasy pole

MERC - You are at the top of the greasy pole

Not according to Bentley owners, you aren't.
A handful of other marques would beg to differ too.

It has been said - IMAGE

BMW - You are still climbing the greasy pole

MERC - You are at the top of the greasy pole

MX5, MGF or any other "Hairdresser's car" - You are sitting on top of the greasy pole, and enjoying it :devil:

Not according to Bentley owners, you aren't.
A handful of other marques would beg to differ too.

A true Bentley owner would not lower himself to the greasy pole. He would simply look out of the window of his penthouse office in that general direction .....

:devil:

BMW's have an image problem and for that reason I've neve bought one.

Another thing that is glaringly obvious to me is how few older BMW's are on the road. When was the last time you saw a 20+ year old BMW being used as a daily driver? With MB's, I see many, every day which speaks volumes.

Agree. Mercedes usually age well. It's in their DNA.

New BMWs are entertaining, like a naked pole dancer is entertaining. I wouldn't want to take one home with me and if you'd met her mother, well, you wouldn't want to...

All used BMWs turn into slags. No Mercedes ever does.

:D

Agree. Mercedes usually age well. It's in their DNA.
All used BMWs turn into slags. No Mercedes ever does.
:D

Disagreeing with you already on that one, I'd take a BMW 3.0 CSi over ANY Mercedes E-class or CLK from the past 12 years.
There are enough tatty W202s and W210s in London to prove you wrong, too.
MB have slipped far down this 'pole', and haven't successfully worked their way back up yet. Big BHP figures are a mere distraction, the quality of the cars and service is still nowhere near its former status in the 1970s and 1980s.
The next E-Class can't come soon enough, imo.

Some of these analogies are quite amusing..........

Its a good thread..........

I have to confess this thread was started under the influence of a bottle of wine, but some very funny and interesting angles. Of course, with a foot in both camps I cant be deemed responsible for any offence caused:D :D

Some of these analogies are quite amusing..........

Its a good thread..........

'Greasy poles' ..... 'Slags' :eek: ......reminds me of a club I might have visited recently.

I like both marques for different reasons.

One's choice of vehicle is subjective, and based on a number of factors.

Stating that one marque is better than another is a little bid dated IMHO

Last edited:
I think you'll find there are just as many old Beemers knocking around. Probably more so than Mercedes. *Cough RUST*

Though the older Mercs have much more charm and character.

There are alot of old beemers "knocking around" i agree. but no where as much as mercs.

There is one thing you have to realise though, if you go back in time, mercedes was considered to be one of the best marques ever, and bmw was just ever so slightly mentioned in any tv program or magazine as being an equivalent, or even a competition to mercedes.

But ever since mercedes have slipped and starting actually producing bad cars, thats when people actually started comparing them to audis and bmw's... but before this "slip" the other marques weren't even close. (this is just my opinion though)

There is one thing you have to realise though, if you go back in time, mercedes was considered to be one of the best marques ever, and bmw was just ever so slightly mentioned in any tv program or magazine as being an equivalent, or even a competition to mercedes.

But ever since mercedes have slipped and starting actually producing bad cars, thats when people actually started comparing them to audis and bmw's... but before this "slip" the other marques weren't even close. (this is just my opinion though)

This, I agree with.

A true Bentley owner would not lower himself to the greasy pole. He would simply look out of the window of his penthouse office in that general direction .....
.....before going to the next football training session :D

There are alot of old beemers "knocking around" i agree. but no where as much as mercs.

Have MB slipped, or, have BMW and AUDI raised their standards ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom