BMW bringing their X-Drive to 3 and 5 series this year, will we see 4matic now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gIzzE

MB Enthusiast
Car
65 plate BMW F11 Touring (165k miles) + Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (140k miles) Doing my bit to be green.
This is the BMW press release dicussing the MY2012 line up and and engine changes, and if you notice they are bringing their xi and xd models to the 3 and 5 series starting this year.

Do you think that this will force Mercedes to bring 4matic options to the UK??
A 350cdi 4matic estate would certainly have me ordering a new car.

C'mon Mercedes, you have no choice now!! :D

BMW 5-Series Gains New 2.0 Turbo Engines, 5-Series GT gets the M makeover!

There’s a lot going on in Munich today as BMW has unleashed details on its new model year portfolio.

We’ll begin with the changes to the engine lineup of the 5-series saloon and touring models. Starting from this September, European buyers will be able to order the 5-Series with BMW’s brand-new 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine, which is offered in two forms producing 184HP and 270Nm (199 lb-ft) in the 520i and 245HP and 350Nm (258 lb-ft) in the 528i.

The 184HP 520i Sedan accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 7.9 seconds (automatic: 8.0 sec), while the Touring in 8.3 sec (automatic: 8.4 sec). Top speeds are 227km/h (141mph) (automatic: 226km/h / 140mph) for the Sedan and 220km/h (137mph) (manual and automatic) for the Touring model.
The average fuel consumption for the sedan is 6.8 – 7.0 l/100 km (40.3 – 41.5mpg) (automatic: 6.5 – 6.7 lt / 42.2 – 43.5 mpg UK) with CO2 emissions of 157 – 163 g/km (149 – 155 g/km).

The 245HP 528i sedan completes the 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) sprint in 6.2 seconds (automatic: 6.3 seconds), and the Touring in 6.4 seconds (automatic: 6.6 seconds). Top speeds are 250 km/h (155 mph) for the Sedan and 244 km/h (152mph) for the Touring model (in both cases the figures are the same for both manual and automatic versions).
In terms of fuel consumption, the 528i Sedan returns 6.8 – 7.1 lt/100 km (39.8 – 41.5 mpg) (automatic: 6.5 – 6.8 lt / 41.5 – 43.5 mpg), with CO2 emissions of 159 – 165 g/km.

Also new is the 520d EfficientDynamics Edition featuring a 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel with 184HP and 380Nm (280 lb-ft) that returns a combined fuel economy of 4.5 lt/100 km (62.8 mpg) and CO2 emissions of 119g/km.

For the new model year, the 525d offers a 13HP increase over the previous model with its four-cylinder diesel engine now developing 218HP at 4 ,400 rpm and a peak torque of 450Nm (332 lb-ft). The same goes for the six-cylinder 530d that also gains a 13HP boost for a total output of 258HP at 4,000 rpm and peak torque of 540Nm (398 lb-ft) or 560Nm / 413 lb-ft with the automatic transmission. The 535d’s straight-six diesel was also tweaked and now produced 313HP and 630NM (465 lb-ft) at between 1,500 and 2,500 rpm.

Other changes to the 5-Series range include the expansion of the firm’s all-wheel drive system to more models, namely the 528i xDrive, 535i xDrive, 550i xDrive, 525d xDrive, 530d xDrive and 535d xDrive, plus the introduction of the 407HP V8-powered 550i Touring.

BMW is also offering as standard its start and stop system, as well as a Driving Experience Control switch that allows the driver to customize accelerator and, engine response, the power steering characteristics, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) thresholds and, on automatic models, the shift characteristics of the transmission through four modes - “COMFORT”, “SPORT”, “SPORT+” and ECO PRO.

Finally, autumn 2011 will see the launch of an M Sport package for the 5 Series Gran Turismo, which includes an aero kit with new bumpers, dark chrome tailpipes, 19-inch or optionally, 20-inch M alloy wheels with mixed tires, sport seats, steering wheel and trim, plus a lowered M suspension.

If they bring out a 4matic E Class with the V8 diesel engine, I will buy one. That car would cover every single aspect what I want/need in a car.

Anyone else?

1.Sweetpea.

That looks like a North America press release ..

Apparently it is the UK release. Someone from BMW UK said in response to it that it was 'after customers in the North of the UK asking for them over the colder winters.'

It's the global release, with no market-specific information.

Apparently it is the UK release. Someone from BMW UK said in response to it that it was 'after customers in the North of the UK asking for them over the colder winters.'

sedan = saloon in the UK

If they bring out a 4matic E Class with the V8 diesel engine, I will buy one. That car would cover every single aspect what I want/need in a car.

Anyone else?

1.Sweetpea.

Prefer a 320cdi version .....

It's the global release, with no market-specific information.

I think you're right, it was being posted with a comment from someone from BMW UK saying 'due to customer pressure we have decided to blah...blah...blah.....'
However, reading the press release surely they would be shouting about RHD models now getting xDrive cars if it were the case.

Oh well, let's wait another 20 years and see what happens.

My cousin had a e320 4matic, and with winter tyres on it was seriously impressive, he lived in the mountains just outside Geneva and used to come down the pass on fresh snow as if there had been a bit of rain over night, impressive if a little scary! :eek:

Interesting that the automatics are more efficient than the manuals. I'd read that they'd started to match the manuals when the 8 speeds were making an appearance, but to exceed them is quite something.

Anyone else?

1.Sweetpea.

Roger that Sweetpea :thumb:

Especially if the system allows you to select when the front axle is driven.

Peter DLM said:
Especially if the system allows you to select when the front axle is driven.

That would be ideal as a normal rear drive drive train has a lovely feel about it. However the additional security of an awd is so good especially where I am from. How much more adverse is awd on fuel. And a question to gizze and sweetpea if you really want four wheel drive estates how come you didn't buy Audi quattro models and/or why did you get rid of them for rear drivers?

That would be ideal as a normal rear drive drive train has a lovely feel about it. However the additional security of an awd is so good especially where I am from. How much more adverse is awd on fuel. And a question to gizze and sweetpea if you really want four wheel drive estates how come you didn't buy Audi quattro models and/or why did you get rid of them for rear drivers?

Reasons not to buy an Audi;
1. The first I bought was an A6. It cost me a fortune in repairs over a year.
2. Like an idiot, I bought another but newer with lower mileage. The cambelt snapped and from that day forth I vowed to never buy anything belt-driven again.
3. My Dad has got 3 year old A6.
4. I would rather buy the Skoda Superb 4x4, saving about £15k in the process.
5. It's an Audi.

My last one was this...

A6_2.jpg

And I got rid of it because it is an Audi, just so damned dull to drive, no feeling from the steering at all, understeers to the point where it is laughable, and after a few weeks the boredom set in.

The 4matic drives just like a normal Merc, you can sort of tell its AWD, but still feels very Merc.
Same with the BMW, still feels every bit BMW and it is pretty hard to tell that it is not RWD.
And the Audi still feels typical Audi, ie dull.

I just think an E350cdi estate 4matic would be all the car you ever need.

I had an A4 2.8 Quattro Avant.

The automatic reduced the performance to that of a 2 litre 4.

The car communicated nothing of the road other than the suspension being made of concrete. It was one of the most inert driving experiences of my life.

My second A4 was less inert, but it still felt nothing like as developed a car as a BMW or Mercedes.

The dealer was a miserable sod too.

sweetpea said:
Reasons not to buy an Audi;
1. The first I bought was an A6. It cost me a fortune in repairs over a year.
2. Like an idiot, I bought another but newer with lower mileage. The cambelt snapped and from that day forth I vowed to never buy anything belt-driven again.
3. My Dad has got 3 year old A6.
4. I would rather buy the Skoda Superb 4x4, saving about £15k in the process.
5. It's an Audi.

That good. Didn't realise the engines in the v6 tdi were belt driven...I drove the s6 and liked the way it drove-it was a wet day. Ride seemed ok steering accurate but very dead

My old 2l 80 Astate* was hilarious to drive, but I put that down to it basically having summer slicks when I shopped it in for "t' barge".

*Pun not just intended, but enforced.

The dealer was a miserable sod too.

Don't be too harsh on him. You'd be a miserable sod too if you had to go to work every day and deal with Audis....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom