BMW Car Dealership, Not interested??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Changed days and changed staff, they were voted the top MB franchise in the UK for 2015, not sure where Glasgow got in that contest. Main reason for the Edinburgh success of recent is they now have a significant number of ex JRW key staff.

I'd disagree.

We'd had dealings with Edinburgh before the John Weir takeover by Arnold Clark and they were better than Glasgow IMO.

I think there is an issue of luck involved with who you deal on the sales floor with combined with management culture.

For this exact reason I rarely buy a car face to face, I always just deal over the phone and email because the treatment is disgusting otherwise. It makes you wonder how these retail cretins ever sell anything. I'll never forget buying my RS4. Because I was 21 at the time they turned their nose up at me in a stereotypical fashion and yeah I kind of get that and I understand why but the thing was, I wasn't time wasting and asking stupid questions. I knew how they'd look at me so I told myself I'll keep it simple and blunt. I simply wanted a yes or no answer. Blackburn Audi had a car in at £43k and it was overpriced at that so I offered £40k and said would they do a deal there and then at £40k as that was the going rate for cars advertised nationwide and there was no benefit going through Audi used approved as it was only two years anyway so would have a years warranty remaining irrelevant of where I bought it. The salesman literally laughed in my face and turned away. I then asked his manager. Exactly the same response and not because of the price I was offering, just their assumption I couldn't afford it. I wanted a simple yes or no answer. For that reason I would have walked away even if they offered me an unbelievable deal purely out of principle. I bought a car elsewhere for £38 grand a week later and had the last laugh.

6 months down the line I took the car for some warranty work (clutch line drew in some air and the clutch pedal snapped to the floor, I lost the ability to change gear and in fairness the warranty team replaced £2,500 of parts). Ironically upon collection, the salesman recognised me when I was in reception and with a smirk on his face and a cocky tone asked if I ever got an RS4. I told him yes but I'm selling it because I don't like it and it was a waste of money, he laughed in the old "yeah right, don't talk sh*t" kind of manor again being stereotypical and feeling smug about himself until the car pulled up outside the window literally five seconds later. I said "ah there it is now". A look of confusion came across his face and he didn't know whether to believe it or not. The valeter walked in and I said thank you and put my hand out for the key, he looked at me like a piece of you know what and walked straight past me. The lady on the reception cringed and sheepishly said “yes, it’s his car”. The valeter turned a lovely shade of green and apologised profusely and explained people try stealing cars etc so he has to take the keys to reception for safety LMAO. At the time, Sam a lady I knew that worked in fleet sales there that I dealt with through work heard my voice, peered over the balcony from upstairs said hi and asked if I liked it (an A3 S-Line special edition S-Tronic that was in the showroom at the time) and I said yes I’ll take it, mark it as sold. The salesman just stood there stunned, dazed and confused. It just goes to show you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. I appreciate we all make stereotypical judgements, hell I’m guilty of it myself but there is a limit, especially with a customer facing retail division. If I was seen to deal with a customer in that way, I would receive a written warning.

I typically received a similar reaction from Mercedes and BMW dealers but ironically, with me not being a badge snob I don’t care what I drive as long as I like it so when I went to test drive my TRD (a model of Toyota GT86) the salesman was brilliant, handed me the keys, let me look round in my own time, even let me take the car for a quick test drive unaccompanied, explained a nice route for me to take as it wasn’t local to me and was a really friendly, approachable guy, exactly what a dealership needs. Well done Scunthorpe Toyota :thumb:

Awful behavior. I once went to a motorshow and saw a beautiful red car. I had to have it!. I went up to the saleman and asked him if I could get a look inside and he told me to go away!!

My father then wandered over, took me by the hand and pulled me away from the Ferrari Testarossa. I was 10 years old. How dare they stereotype me!

I'd disagree.

We'd had dealings with Edinburgh before the John Weir takeover by Arnold Clark and they were better than Glasgow IMO.

I think there is an issue of luck involved with who you deal on the sales floor with combined with management culture.

I dealt with Edinburgh Mercedes for some time for fleet cars. They had some cracking deals and Usman was a fast worker, if it was stock and ready to roll, fantastic. However if it was a factory order they were horrific and the support admin were rude, we received constant lies, deceit and **** ups from start to finish on multiple occasions and when anything went pete tong they were very quick to shift the blame and/or ignore the issues. For this reason I won't deal with them anymore. In fact... I'm physically not allowed to as instructed by management. Service is important.

Last edited:
Their attitude is actually comical,and I have been known to burst out laughing in their faces,who do they think they are? They are at best shop assistants or used car salesmen. Nothing wrong with either,honourable enough jobs, but seems odd to consider yourselves a cut above the person who pays your wages,the customer.What is the bottom line,they seem to have forgotten. It's the polite, helpful bird that gets the worm,the rude variety just get the bird.

At the time, Sam a lady I knew that worked in fleet sales there that I dealt with through work heard my voice, peered over the balcony from upstairs said hi and asked if I liked it (an A3 S-Line special edition S-Tronic that was in the showroom at the time) and I said yes I’ll take it, mark it as sold.

I like the cut of your jib! :)

Off topic but why aren't you looking at the V Class, rather than the Vito?

That is a extremely good question and the simple fact is the Vito we have spec'd is a shade over 30k, the V class starts at 44k and we do have a budget to adhere too.

I completely understand the V class offer's alot more Toys as standard and is probably quieter and has a plusher inside but its 14k too much especially when the vehicle is going to be used as a Cattle wagon lol ferrying my 5 Kids around :crazy: lol

Try Colchester VW I found them great with the wife's golf

I really dont like Vw's just a personal opinion and the wife has had 2 Audi's and she is not keen.

Just a personal thing thats all.:thumb:

I dealt with Edinburgh Mercedes for some time for fleet cars. They had some cracking deals and Usman was a fast worker, if it was stock and ready to roll, fantastic. However if it was a factory order they were horrific and the support admin were rude, we received constant lies, deceit and **** ups from start to finish on multiple occasions and when anything went pete tong they were very quick to shift the blame and/or ignore the issues. For this reason I won't deal with them anymore. In fact... I'm physically not allowed to as instructed by management. Service is important.

OK I know it is 15 years on, but when I was looking after a fleet I did not bother going to the MB agent. I went straight to MB (central) at Milton Keynes, and they were delighted to deal direct. A visit and evaluation of their operation, then business they were great at their job, saved on fafing about with the middle man, and some cost. They would do the sourcing of the vehicle be it from GmBH or if one was on route through the dealers, that was their role.

Try Colchester VW I found them great with the wife's golf

Well the VW at Colchester is another place where you feel you need to ask permission just to enter,a great barn of a place and when I was in there they had just 3 new cars on show,the place could hold 12 at least,and of course you have to see the receptionist before you can order a part or fart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom