BMW Car Dealership, Not interested??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
My wife and i have/are looking into a change of Vehicle and have viewed quite a few different makes and models of vehicles.

I simply cannot get over how badly the BMW salesman came over towards me and my wife.

I've viewed Brands from Nissan, Vauxhall, Mazda, Kia Mercedes & BMW

Believe it or not the Mercedes Dealer was the most accommodating although i think it had a lot to do with the fact it was a Commercial vehicle dealer as we like the new Vito, next to the Kia Saleswomen who understood our needs well.

All the chap from Vauxhal wanted to do was shift old stock, Nissan made out they were looking after us being a "Valued" customer despite hiking the number's up after discounting.

The BMW chap said the vehicle we was looking at wasn't suitable for us and didn't want to appraised our 2 year old Quashqui there and then and simply said we had to book it in for appraisal.

He also was un-interested in detailing a finance payments/plans there and then.

Nor did he want to show myself around the 7 seater 2 series Gran Tourer also telling me it would be a while before a vehicle was built.

Perhaps i may have got a better reception if had turned up in my E Class suited and booted not that i was scruffy when visiting the dealer either, i am Self employed and work hard to support a happy lifestyle but i dont go shouting about it and do all the bling bling affair!

At the end of the day All of the vehicles we looked at were of a similar price 20 - 30k and all within budget

Just thought id share my views, Are all BMW dealers judgemental as my wife quite likes the look of the 218.:dk:

It all depends on the individual dealer and the people that staff it.

Some posters will say that MB were dreadful and BMW were excellent.

I suppose that it's dependent on your location to some extent.

As I have some insight into how salespeople work I can say that they will have been evaluating you as much as you will have them, i.e. they will judge you on what questions you ask and what appear to be your priorities. If these don't meet with their own priorities for the day/month then they will not want to waste time on you.

Agreed this is somewhat short-sighted but that's how they are measured, there's a saying in sales that 'you are only as good as last month's figures' and this holds true in consumer goods such as cars more than most other catagories.

He had made his mind up as soon as we walked in. All the other Dealers didn't have issues with actually selling us a car, well other than a old stock Vauxhall lol

He even admitted he was new there, and hopefully with is attitude he wont be there much longer either. I was really surprised with MB totally down to earth and straight forward.

When I went to Mercedes to test the c class I was suited and booted as had a meeting after and was in my S class , they could not do enough for me tho when I spoke about the GLC which was not out at the time they could not tryed to put me off more and the same with the C350e ..think they wanted me to buy what they had in stock ..got a phone call from them about a big sale I said " I have ordered my C350e now" they said from us ..me " no"

Hi,
I always make a point of dressing down when visiting dealers to buy new cars.
It weeds out the judgemental sales people (who I don't want to deal with!)
I bought our fully loaded ML63 whilst wearing shorts and t-shirt.
Cheers
Steve

Colchester BMW known for being didots these days.My mate took his X6 3 times to fix the jet washers.

There used to be an excellent salesman by the name of Mark at the Kings Lynn dealership, but since his departure the place has lost its magic.

A dealership is only as good as the staff, and if their only motivation is money, then forget about them.

Years ago, I worked for a double glazing company, and our most successful salesman was a guy that not only sold double glazing, but followed the order through to installation. If a customer had a grievance, he would deal with it personally. He even held an annual BBQ for all his existing customers, and most of his new business was through referral. He knew that you had to cement good relationships, or make a quick buck and go under.

Too much emphasis is made on tangibles, such as targets, and not enough on intangibles, such as relations. If someone gives you a good deal, and talks to you as an equal, you are much more likely to return to them than if someone patronises you and tells you that your part ex is worthless when it isn't.

I walked into my local BM garage at the start of the summer looking at options for the Mrs car.... dressed very casual in shorts and t-shirt... The BM garage could not do enough for me, had a coffee.. had a chat.. looked at some new cars.. looked at some used cars... fine, worked away feeling valued and informed.

Wenton to Merc next... walked around.. no one was about to speak to, which is fine to start with when having a look etc.. asked to speak to a sale's rep about a car on the forecourt.. - was told all were busy and to make an appointment to come back on Monday.... even though 3 suits were just sat there doing "not much" - I asked the receptionist cant they help and the answer was they are new car sales... not used...

One finally came over but was the least bit interested and denied all knowledge of the little A Class outside... He changed his tune when i mentioned in passing to the wife... that panno roof is like on my 350e i have ordered..... but was too late... we was walking out.

Last edited:
I've tried a couple of BMW dealerships over the years and never had a good inter-action with them. To be fair, last time I went into our local one, it was very busy and people just seemed to be throwing orders at the salespeople. So I suppose, why should they try?

Our local MB dealer astonishes me. I've been going there 10 years and no salesperson has ever spoken to me. I was there last month, for a vehicle health check, and I spent some time wandering around the showroom without any comment from any of the staff.

Reading comments from car salespeople on Pistonheads, it seems they do expect customers to make an appointment these days. Seems bizarre to me, but there you go.

Merc 85, whatever you do don't vist BMW in Chelmsford - awfull. Coopers in Romford (10 mins down the A12) treated like royalty! The best service I had was from Kia buying new, thats how they get the sales treating people properly not "how much a month/one in stock" attitude.

If your looking at MB avoid Jardine Mercedes in Lakeside. Shockingly poor sadly.

Kia go Westdrive in Braintree used them twice in the last 11 years.

Last edited:
There used to be an excellent salesman by the name of Mark at the Kings Lynn dealership, but since his departure the place has lost its magic.

A dealership is only as good as the staff, and if their only motivation is money, then forget about them.

Years ago, I worked for a double glazing company, and our most successful salesman was a guy that not only sold double glazing, but followed the order through to installation. If a customer had a grievance, he would deal with it personally. He even held an annual BBQ for all his existing customers, and most of his new business was through referral. He knew that you had to cement good relationships, or make a quick buck and go under.

Too much emphasis is made on tangibles, such as targets, and not enough on intangibles, such as relations. If someone gives you a good deal, and talks to you as an equal, you are much more likely to return to them than if someone patronises you and tells you that your part ex is worthless when it isn't.

Mark is my general manager!

Off topic but why aren't you looking at the V Class, rather than the Vito?

Interesting no one has made any comment about Volvo, I have had some odd experiences from them in the recent past. Several years ago when looking at an XC90 a salesman at main dealer in the Scottish borders, between Galashiels and Kelso, after spending time with me giving me a test drive, and giving me a fair quote said to me we are the best you will not find a better deal try it. So my wife went on the inter web thinggy found a £10k better deal for new ordered through the Sheffield dealer, not yet on the production line we spec'd it as we wanted it and 5 weeks later we had the car we wanted and much cheaper, all for the cost of a one night stay in a travel lodge. The dealer principle from the border dealer called me up and 'lost the rag' clearly he thought buying through an other dealer was not fair. I have never had such a bad tempered call form anyone certainly not a franchise owner, must be a pressurised business !!!!

The dealer was Clelands of Galashiels, and dealer principle was the ex rally driver Cleland (was a memorable call, not sure what his blood pressure was at the time) so moral of the story beware if you ever stray just who you might stray with. :banana:

However we do still have a Volvo in our front drive as Mrs does like it a lot, not as much as her previous C class though, but this time it came from another Scottish dealer, who was fine for the deal, but not greatly interested any time it is in for a service you never know whether he will make an attempt to speak with you or not, a shame that they are so focused. On the other hand at the right MB dealer I still deal with a (now director, he has worked his way up from young salesman) who has sold me MB's since the early '90, what a difference, great.

Last edited:
They're a funny lot, car dealers.

Years ago my wife and I decided we fancied a new MB. We went along to our nearest dealer in Edinburgh. They ignored us for over half an hour as we browsed the small showroom, sat in cars etc. Eventually I went up to one of the salesmen and asked about actually, you know, buying a car. Was told I'd have to make an appointment to speak to them and come back during the week.

We drove through to Glasgow. The salesmen there actually talked to us and we bought a new car, plus finance, that day.

Not sure if that says more about salesmen or Edinburgh, mind you...;)

They're a funny lot, car dealers.

Years ago my wife and I decided we fancied a new MB. We went along to our nearest dealer in Edinburgh. They ignored us for over half an hour as we browsed the small showroom, sat in cars etc. Eventually I went up to one of the salesmen and asked about actually, you know, buying a car. Was told I'd have to make an appointment to speak to them and come back during the week.

We drove through to Glasgow. The salesmen there actually talked to us and we bought a new car, plus finance, that day.

Not sure if that says more about salesmen or Edinburgh, mind you...;)

Changed days and changed staff, they were voted the top MB franchise in the UK for 2015, not sure where Glasgow got in that contest. Main reason for the Edinburgh success of recent is they now have a significant number of ex JRW key staff.

Depends on the dealer my local BMW, MB dealers are both bad.

I think things change as the staff change.

Our experience was the exact opposite on the last two car changes we had - particularly in 2011 when SWMBO defected to BMW. If we'd bought a MB it would have been from Edinburgh.

However prior to that in 2005 and 2006 the experience at MB Glasgow and Hamilton was good.

I've made several visits to Douglas Park BMW in Glasgow and in Hamilton over the last 4 years and TBH the sales departments have been consistently professional and courteous on every occasion.

There is a problem in the industry with sales staff trying to qualify customers - and frequently getting it wrong.

I think this perhaps is a contributory factor in the number of reported failures in the 'process' that turn up here so often. This has happened with us at Audi, BMW, MB, and Porsche on various occasions over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom