BMW driver...hard shoulder is a lane? Not for long ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ignoring the use of the hard shoulder for a moment, he deliberately changed lane in order to overtake on the left ... which will generally get you ticketed (careless driving, or driving without due care & attention) if seen.
Drivers in UK are the worst at getting back to the slowest lane (only from my personal experience) so as long as this is acceptable, overtaking from left should be as well, as it is the very reason for this in most cases (not this instance, though).

The BMW driver is simply inexperienced and maybe a bit 'what do I do on this boring road to make myself look better' or maybe not, nobody knows for sure, from what I see in a video. They drove once or twice on a smart motorway, took it for granted, tried to be clever, got on a hard shoulder, realised mistake ( note that they for some reason accelerated later than they got on a hard shoulder, chances are they did not have an intention to overtake, but had trouble getting back), got embarrassed a bit, then tried to get away with some dignity, overtake few cars and return, but then (too late) they saw, they not gonna make it, slammed on brakes etc. One simple mistake leads to a sequence of chaotic actions. Dangerous, well, very humane as well and has nothing to do with make, as someone stated before. Also, when reading this thread it feels like some live in different UK, I mean, crossing the solid line and overtaking using a hard shoulder... WOW please let me spend a day with you, it must be very busy and exciting.

Also, when reading this thread it feels like some live in different UK, I mean, crossing the solid line and overtaking using a hard shoulder... WOW please let me spend a day with you, it must be very busy and exciting.

Dealing with the aftermath of someone hitting a stationary vehicle on the hard shoulder can probably be quite 'busy and exciting' for the emergency services. Not many people would condone using it to overtake at motorway speeds.

This wasn't a mistake - it was an intentional under-taking move. He crossed a solid white line to drive on the hard shoulder, and it was clearly signed that there were only two lanes. He could easily have moved back into lane 1 but chose not to:

View attachment 116585
Hand it over, the driver will be fined.

Plenty of comments about indicators being used, my biggest gripe of late is the adoption of “I have indicated, therefore I now claim my lane with immediate effect, whether you have to brake or change direction is of no consequence to me as I did indicate”

In the event of a collision I’m sure that their first statement is usually “well I did indicate!”, you just didn’t make space.

Not exclusive to BMW drivers, seems prevalent in all makes, any gender, any age, insured/licenced or otherwise.

That and the ones who just pull out of a side turning at short to no notice, then put their hand up to wave as if you had allowed them out, when what they're actually doing is not giving way at a junction and thanking you for making allowances for avoiding an accident due to their poor road discipline.

Also, just thought of this one too, those who change lanes in front of me at the approach to junctions, when we're all slowing down getting ready to stop leaving us with not much more we can do to avoid hitting them!

That and the ones who just pull out of a side turning at short to no notice, then put their hand up to wave as if you had allowed them out, when what they're actually doing is not giving way at a junction and thanking you for making allowances for avoiding an accident due to their poor road discipline.

Also, just thought of this one too, those who change lanes in front of me at the approach to junctions, when we're all slowing down getting ready to stop leaving us with not much more we can do to avoid hitting them!
It was peaceful during the first global lockdown. Most of these issues were non-existent. Only people with a pass from the local police department were allowed to travel on the streets. Education is indeed important on road side etiquette, but with the constant rising population and the generations of carelessness of rule enforcement has brought the current crisis. Skilled labor is lacking and everyone wants to own a business and not work.

“Skilled labor is lacking and everyone wants to own a business and not work.”
What colour is the sky in your world. Have you ever owned a business, or completed a days work.
Maybe he’s on about the myth that is: ‘in’t good ole days’. 🤓

off-topic but your merc bobs back and forth a lot. Airmatic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom