BMW driver...hard shoulder is a lane? Not for long ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This wasn't a mistake - it was an intentional under-taking move. He crossed a solid white line to drive on the hard shoulder, and it was clearly signed that there were only two lanes. He could easily have moved back into lane 1 but chose not to:

View attachment 116585
Intentional or not Bill. It was a mistake. 😊

This wasn't a mistake - it was an intentional under-taking move. He crossed a solid white line to drive on the hard shoulder, and it was clearly signed that there were only two lanes. He could easily have moved back into lane 1 but chose not to:

View attachment 116585
How do you know what he was thinking?

Eh? He's driving on the hard shoulder. As the signs show there are two lanes on the motorway, with a third merging in from the left ahead.
Hi , well it's looks to me from the photograph he is in the merging lane ( but as we all know he is not merging ) but as I stated before trouble with photographic evidence but the signs is telling him to join the 1st lane of the two lane road motorway.

We don't know what happened prior to photo.

How do you know what he was thinking?

I don't. But he moved left onto the hard shoulder and then accelerated hard past two cars on the inside ... it would be hard to claim that was accidental.

Hi , well it's looks to me from the photograph he is in the merging lane ( but as we all know he is not merging ) but as I stated before trouble with photographic evidence but the signs is telling him to join the 1st lane of the two lane road motorway.

That's not what the sign means, and if it was a merging lane there would be a broken white line rather than a solid one.

That's not what the sign means, and if it was a merging lane there would be a broken white line rather than a solid one.
Hi ,

On the M5 both in the South West and West Midlands many junctions have the same marking as on photo as feeder lanes merge on to main carriage way.

Hi ,

On the M5 both in the South West and West Midlands many junctions have the same marking as on photo as feeder lanes merge on to main carriage way.

The signage shows that the motorway has two lanes, and that a slip road will join from the left creating a third lane (note that this is not the same as a slip road merging into lane 1). The BMW intentionally left the carriageway (crossing the solid white marker line to the left of lane 1) to drive on the hard shoulder. Where a slip road joins the motorway there's a hatched dividing area to the left of lane 1, which becomes the standard dashed lane marking when they are running parallel.

cap1.JPGcap2.JPGcap3.JPGcap4.JPGcap5.JPGcap6.JPG

Hi ,

Unless those sections are Smart Motorway, with driving on the hard shoulder permitted when indicated, I rather doubt that. The solid white line marks the boundary between the feeder lane, if any, and the hard shoulder; BTB 500 is correct.

Unless those sections are Smart Motorway, with driving on the hard shoulder permitted when indicated, I rather doubt that. The solid white line marks the boundary between the feeder lane, if any, and the hard shoulder; BTB 500 is correct.
Hi , I have looked at the video again and the BMW driver clearly drove his car in the emergency lane.😭

I had better and go and hide.

Going out to buy the latest Highway Code.

At least he knows how to change lanes. Unlike coupla Mercs in the video.
At this moment on my regular 350 mile trip, where I was on the road was the safest and required place to be.......thanks for the feedback however and I'll consider the hard shoulder next time rather than making space for joining traffic and a potential accident cause by a driver in the hard shoulder ;) 😉

I never thought so many views would come from a 60 second film.....I'm almost looking forward to any future publications :)):):)

I’ve a suspicion that the driver made a mistake, the indicating goes against a deliberate illegal manoeuvre, people who don’t drive on motorways or are not used to UK motorways can get confused. BTB’s post above illustrates this.

I never thought so many views would come from a 60 second film.....I'm almost looking forward to any future publications

Perfectly normal for a discussion on driving or an incident.

Part of the problem is you only see a short vignette in many videos - so maybe not the whole context.

My repeated (boring and oft repeated) gripe related o this is how inconsistent and cluttered marking and signage and use of variable limits and advistory signs have become in the UK.

The term 'smart motorway' means permitted hard shoulder running to some people - to others it just means a motorway without a hard shoulder. There are multiple types of variable speed limit signs and associated enforcement across the motorway network - with the additional complication of how they are used.

So that's what you can have an argument about use of the hard shoulder these days - it used to be absolutelky sacrosanct - and then that became occasionally sacrosanct on some sections and then it changed to non-existent on long sections. So what was unarguable becomes ..... arguable and context dependent.

I’ve a suspicion that the driver made a mistake, the indicating goes against a deliberate illegal manoeuvre

Ignoring the use of the hard shoulder for a moment, he deliberately changed lane in order to overtake on the left ... which will generally get you ticketed (careless driving, or driving without due care & attention) if seen.

It’s a bit childish to hold a grudge against someone because they drive a BMW as is the name calling. Idiot, moron whatever next?
I’m sure there are plenty of comments on Audi / BMW fora referring to MB drivers as dawdling old farts ……… whatever, we should all just relax a bit more behind the wheel, it isn’t a competition.

Ignoring the use of the hard shoulder for a moment, he deliberately changed lane in order to overtake on the left ... which will generally get you ticketed (careless driving, or driving without due care & attention) if seen.
1628424997754.gif

I was replying to the suggestion that the driver didn't deliberately do anything illegal. I agree it was obvious that he did.

I’ve a suspicion that the driver made a mistake, the indicating goes against a deliberate illegal manoeuvre, people who don’t drive on motorways or are not used to UK motorways can get confused.

I'd have been inclined to suggest that the BMW driver could have mistaken the hard shoulder for a running lane - possibly being used to smart motorways, UNTIL he commenced to undertake.

At that point, he is 100% a c**kwomble.

Hi , just looking at this still photograph the driver of the car has done nothing wrong YET !

However , looking at the video he is typical of many drivers who ignore all traffic signs , speed lim

Hi , just looking at this still photograph the driver of the car has done nothing wrong YET !

However , looking at the video he is typical of many drivers who ignore all traffic signs , speed limits etc.
Done nothing wrong..............????????????? Apart from crossing a solid white line and ignoring the big sign to his left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom