BMW E30 Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
A bit of background.

One of my closest homies (Brian B) had one of these in the early noughties.
His was the 325i version with a manual box and full black leather. It had also been sorted by Hartge.
He sold it to another one of the posse who then wrote it off in the snow!!

Matey boy Brian is a black cab driver with a wife that earns a load of cash. No kids and no mortgage and so for the last 4 years he’s been looking for another E30. He seen pretty much everyone for sale in the U.K. and he’s just sent me this abomination.

Thats one very weird car,there must be better E30's out there,he must be winding you up.

I've always liked the E30 Touring or so I thought.

I used to wash cars as a younger teenager and there was a guy who had either an F or H plate 325i in bright red with the same wheels albeit in silver.

I really liked washing it and the look of it.

However, a quick search of a similar looking one now and I'm not all that impressed with it at all - looks a bit shyte!

Got to be worth £850.00 right? 😜

Or £85.00......................🤣

Had a E30 320i coupe on a H reg manual box was great fun for going sideways and sounded good.

Had a E34 estate 520i that was really nice, the box shape like the E30. Was a super drive.

Insurance company is going to have a field day quoting for that

Best line in that ad?

It has sat in my garage for past we while not moving and wife doesn't like it so unfortunately its time to let her go, find it hard to put a value on it so ive put it on auction to start with to see how it goes

Most E30's have lead a hard life as the 'ultimate driving machine'. Old BMW's rust like no other car in my experience. Steer well clear.

Had a E30 320i coupe on a H reg manual box was great fun for going sideways and sounded good.

Once I graduated and got a job, I could afford a newer better car and so I upgraded from the hot hatches to a 1993 E36 325i coupe in the late 90s.

It was a good recipe for going sideways too.

205 60 R15 wheels all round, 192BHP RWD, not enough weight over the rear wheels and no ASC back then so had a limited diff from the factory.

I used to practice on the roundabouts in Bracknell and Windsor sometimes on my way to and from work.

Great fun and as you state - the silky 6 cylinder engines in the 320 and 325 sounded great too.

Only later on did I realise how lucky I was back then without realising it.

Once I graduated and got a job, I could afford a newer better car and so I upgraded from the hot hatches to a 1993 E36 325i coupe in the late 90s.

It was a good recipe for going sideways too.

205 60 R15 wheels all round, 192BHP RWD, not enough weight over the rear wheels and no ASC back then so had a limited diff from the factory.

I used to practice on the roundabouts in Bracknell and Windsor sometimes on my way to and from work.

Great fun and as you state - the silky 6 cylinder engines in the 320 and 325 sounded great too.

Only later on did I realise how lucky I was back then without realising it.

If the roads were just a little damp the back would slide out like anyone's business. Great for when you want to but scary when you forget for spilt second, and your wrestling with the wheel to get the car aiming straight 😂😂. Great getrag box in them cars. Could give stick all day. Lovely exhaust sound also, the stock sound was lovely.

Most E30's have lead a hard life as the 'ultimate driving machine'. Old BMW's rust like no other car in my experience. Steer well clear.

The W210 would give the beemer a run for its money in the rust department 😂

The W210 would give the beemer a run for its money in the rust department 😂
A 1976 BMW 2002 i owned in the mid to late 1990's remains the rustiest car i have ever known. I replaced the front panel, front wings, a posts, inner and outers sills and then gave up and scrapped the bloody thing.

If the roads were just a little damp the back would slide out like anyone's business. Great for when you want to but scary when you forget for spilt second, and your wrestling with the wheel to get the car aiming straight 😂😂. Great getrag box in them cars. Could give stick all day. Lovely exhaust sound also, the stock sound was lovely.

Yeah... when it was wet was when I did it deliberately. Much easier than in the dry to lose the back and a bit less dodgy on the public road (it just went officer).

I'd only starting learning the art and was doing well at it when my enthusiasm was severely curtailed by my abilities writing cheques my experience couldn't cash.

I gave it way too much power and too much steering and ended up facing two sets of vehicles who had kindly stopped for me here also in the late 90s - her Maj wouldn't have approved I'm sure had she been nearby:

Lost It.png

Well with 3 litre m54 and 230 brake it's certainly going to be "interesting" rear end wise !

Yup - even worse I imagine although I'd progressed to an M3 Evo by the time those 330s were out in 2000 and the Evo handled a LOT better than the pre-facelift E36s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom