BMW E60 530d - Large clouds of black smoke when flooring it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
My brothers 2005 E60 530d has started producing large clouds of black smoke when its floored, the oil level is fine and it was serviced about 6months ago.

The smoke only lasts a second or so and I know all diesels produce some black smoke, but this looks like a Victorian steamroller.

I take it this is somthing to do with the car not burning the fuel enough, any idea whats causing it?

Might be a build up of soot in the exhaust. When the car was serviced did you use low ash oil ? and is the car normally driven around on light throttle ?

No idea about the oil, but the car is driven daily about 30miles or so and with a mixure of light & hard driving...

Do his exhausts point down or does he have a Particualte Filter? - A bit of soot on a car without a particulate filter is normal.

Don't want to scare you, but has he experienced any loss of power?

I had a similar problem on mine about 18 months ago, black smoke, loss of power - turned out to be an cracked manifold which was replaced under warranty.

Do his exhausts point down or does he have a Particualte Filter? - A bit of soot on a car without a particulate filter is normal.

Don't want to scare you, but has he experienced any loss of power?

I had a similar problem on mine about 18 months ago, black smoke, loss of power - turned out to be an cracked manifold which was replaced under warranty.

They point down as far as I can remember, I know soot is common but a huge amout comes out for about a second. - not sure about loss of power I will ask him.

Was it easy enough to sort out the manifold - I think his warranty has just ended, or can you get it fixed on a mobilo life style warranty?

Thanks for the replies.

They point down as far as I can remember, I know soot is common but a huge amout comes out for about a second. - not sure about loss of power I will ask him.

Was it easy enough to sort out the manifold - I think his warranty has just ended, or can you get it fixed on a mobilo life style warranty?

Thanks for the replies.

If the exhausts point down I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's fairly normal - if there's power loss (drastic power loss, mine went in to limp home mode) aswell as black smoke then I'd definately get it looked in to. In terms of ease of replacement, I'm not sure - my car was still under warranty when it went so it was replace FoC. No mobilo life style warranty on Beemers I'm affraid :(

My brothers 2005 E60 530d has started producing large clouds of black smoke when its floored, the oil level is fine and it was serviced about 6months ago.

The smoke only lasts a second or so and I know all diesels produce some black smoke, but this looks like a Victorian steamroller.

I take it this is somthing to do with the car not burning the fuel enough, any idea whats causing it?

My Nephew is a BMW officiado and loves pulling his car to pieces and putting it back together again and have spoken to him re the above

Theres a couple of known problems on the E60 530d that give excessive smoke

First one is the oil breather check it and give it a good clean or replace, whilst you are at it best change the air filter as well just eliminates another source

EGR valves have been known to fail at very early mileages so worth a check too

The air filter mounting rubber can block the MAF to cause not enough air to go in. After many months, due to fuel riched ratio (inefficient burning) the sludge deposited around throttle body and inlet manifold cause the rod to stick and fail to further control the air intake always resulting in the car running rich.

Just his words of wisdom but hope they help you

Nice1 thanks, I will have a look and let you know...

I do a few BMW's and in my experiance the main cause dor the black smoke is either a split boost pipe, egr issue, air mass issues, blocked air filter etc.

I doubt it will the breather blocked as that normally produces blue smoke and oil use.

the sludge deposited around throttle body and inlet manifold cause the rod to stick and fail to further control the air intake always resulting in the car running rich.
Was he aware you meant a diesel car.?

I'd go for EGR valve sticking open.

Was he aware you meant a diesel car.?

I'd go for EGR valve sticking open.

Good question, i'm not really into the workings of diesels being a petrol head but now you come to mention it that part does not make sense

Will have to quiz him more, either that or what he said I have interpeted incorrectly.:confused:

Diesels cab run rich hence the black smoke unburnt fuel ie to much.

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom