Bmw gt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
A friend of mine has just picked up one of these, personally i'm not convinced but I could not understand the tyre set up and wondered if those in the know could help.

Vehicle has 20" alloys running 245/40/20 on the front and 275/35/20 on the back, appreciating these numbers relate to tyre width and depth/height why would the rear tyres be in effect shallower? Would this affect ride height etc.

Thanks in advance.

only 3.5mm difference in overall height..

I make it 1.75mm (98 front, 96.25 rear). Too little difference to be noticeable or have any significant impact on ride, speedo calibration, etc.

EDIT: x2 = 3.5mm :doh: But the car would only sit 1.75mm higher/lower front to back.

Last edited:
I think ride height is the least of his worries - they aren't exactly easy on the eye (IMO, of course).

know what you mean developer215 regarding the look, the rear of the car reminds me of a ssanyong rodius which is truly butt ugly its also got so much tech in the car which may mean i'm a Luddite.

W212 350CDI Sport

Front 245/40 R18

Rear 265/35 R18

Happens quite a lot nowadays:)

Chrysler Crossfires have different size wheels front vs. rear (one is 17 and one 18 I think) although the profiles of the tyres will go a long way to even them up.

Maybe you shouldn't tell him that a puncture in a rear tyre will mean he needs a replacement - at £380 each!

Nick Froome

There's a lot to be said about not buying things when drunk.....;)

The C350 CDI Sport runs 225/45s on the front and 245/40s on the rear. Which means that when I want two new ones on the front, that's where they'll have to go - normally you would move the existing rears to the front and fit the new tyres to the rear - doooogh...

know what you mean developer215 regarding the look, the rear of the car reminds me of a ssanyong rodius which is truly butt ugly its also got so much tech in the car which may mean i'm a Luddite.

There's something seriously wrong when a car magazine can write the following about it:

"Ride and refinement simply aren't up to scratch for a car such as this."

How can BMW get it so wrong??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom