BMW improve their i3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
BMW i3 94Ah electric car 2016 review - pictures | Auto Express
Yes BMW have improved their i3 with an improved battery pack which increases range and helps charge rate also. You can still have the Range Extender Model with the little petrol engine for those with range anxiety. Its also now available in the same blue as it's iconic big brother the i8.:cool:
_bl71138_01.jpg

They need to improve the looks before anything else!

I see they appear to have done away with the indicators, which is no surprise really as I've never seen one in operation on a BMW.

Apparently not everyone agrees with you.

As of November 2015, the i3 ranks as the world's third best selling all-electric car in history. As of April 2016, cumulative global i3 sales totaled over 47,000 units. The i3 ranked third among all-electric cars sold worldwide both in 2014 and 2015,and it was also the world's fifth top selling plug-in electric car in 2015. Among other awards and recognition, the BMW i3 won two World Car of the Year Awards selected as 2014 World Green Car of the Year and also as 2014 World Car Design of the Year. The i3 was also given an iF Product Design Gold Award, and, in the first UK Car of the Year Awards, it won in two categories: UK Car of the Year 2014 and Best Supermini of 2014.
One styling arguement goes that if you like a new design immediately it comes to the market its already out of date?
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...-germany-the-bmw-i3-has-been-the-best-selling

I see they appear to have done away with the indicators, which is no surprise really as I've never seen one in operation on a BMW.

You won't believe this, not only did I see a BMW indicating earlier, it was indicating whilst on a roundabout to signal it was going to be turning off the exit before mine meaning I didn't have to stop.

Of course I stopped straight after from a cardiac arrest. :rolleyes:

As of November 2015, the i3 ranks as the world's third best selling all-electric car in history. As of April 2016, cumulative global i3 sales totaled over 47,000 units. The i3 ranked third among all-electric cars sold worldwide both in 2014 and 2015,and it was also the world's fifth top selling plug-in electric car in 2015. Among other awards and recognition, the BMW i3 won two World Car of the Year Awards selected as 2014 World Green Car of the Year and also as 2014 World Car Design of the Year. The i3 was also given an iF Product Design Gold Award, and, in the first UK Car of the Year Awards, it won in two categories: UK Car of the Year 2014 and Best Supermini of 2014.
One styling arguement goes that if you like a new design immediately it comes to the market its already out of date?
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...-germany-the-bmw-i3-has-been-the-best-selling

Selling well doesn't automatically equate to good looks.

I'd want to know how many of the buyers actually like the car for the looks.

I would buy an R class for practicality and ride quality - never for the looks!

I quite like the i3.
Parked next to one in black at the weekend which looked decidedly ordinary.
The clk had the roof down, and in the sun was shining like a new dime and getting a few looks.
Even Mrs Ted, who knows everything, was surprised when I told her it was worth four times as much as ours. She couldn't get what was so special about it.

I simply quoted the sales figures to illustrate that the i3's appearance was not sufficiently repulsive to the many people who buy it. Car appearance is a subjective thing. Perhaps people who buy these electric vehicles want a car that looks different from other cars. People frequently buy cars to project an image. The i3 does stand out from the run of the mill motors maybe that's the point?

Ugly cars often surprise me by selling in huge quantities.

Why do so many people buy Nissan Dukes?

Maybe they park them in their neighbour's drives...

Somewhere in the process of producing the Duke, the stylists have presented this visual abomination of clashing curves to the Board, who carefully considered the chunder-inducing lines and collectively said: "looks fantastic, let's make it!".

......and these people are allowed to vote...

I suspect quite a few electric/hybrid cars are sold in fleet deals where the drivers have no say in what they get. So looks would be largely irrelevant.

Other electric cars are available! Have to say none leap out of the page in the attractiveness stakes!
$_32.JPG

1024px-Eng_Renault_Twizy_ZE.jpg

be1393e978dcb6da_Renault_Zoe_AutoBild.jpg

peugeot-ion-electric-car-47kw-auto34.jpg

volkswagen-e-up-electric-car-60kw-auto243.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-electric-9.jpg

Last edited:
There were leasing deals on new i3 recently so in a few months we can read how well it sells ;-) Sudden jump in statistics ;-)

After a short drive in one, I thought the i3 was really quite good as a city car. The instant torque is nice and it never feels underpowered. The interior is fairly spacious and it's nice seeing the occasional spot of carbon fibre (even if it is RTM rather than pre-preg).

The fact that BMW has just released a car with a range only 10% less than the Tesla Model E's expected range over a year before the latter is likely to even reach production should serve as a serious wake-up call to those who think that Tesla's lead in the EV game is anywhere near sustainable.

I simply quoted the sales figures to illustrate that the i3's appearance was not sufficiently repulsive to the many people who buy it. Car appearance is a subjective thing. Perhaps people who buy these electric vehicles want a car that looks different from other cars. People frequently buy cars to project an image. The i3 does stand out from the run of the mill motors maybe that's the point?

You didn't.

You stated this:

We can all speculate but you cannot say from sales figures that people find the car attractive or not...

Maybe people just buy electric cars because of that and that only.

You didn't.

You stated this:

We can all speculate but you cannot say from sales figures that people find the car attractive or not...
Maybe people just buy electric cars because of that and that only.

I think what I said was that the appearance of the i3 did not prevent people from buying it which is slightly different from saying they liked its appearance ?:dk:

Other electric cars are available! Have to say none leap out of the page in the attractiveness stakes!
$_32.JPG

1024px-Eng_Renault_Twizy_ZE.jpg

be1393e978dcb6da_Renault_Zoe_AutoBild.jpg

peugeot-ion-electric-car-47kw-auto34.jpg

volkswagen-e-up-electric-car-60kw-auto243.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-electric-9.jpg

No photo of a Tesla?

TESLA 'S GIGA FACTORY IN NEVADA
hero@2x.jpg

Only part built at the moment.
Tesla Gigafactory update with new aerial shots [Gallery: June 2016] | Electrek

Tesla Gigafactory update with new aerial shots [Gallery: June 2016] | Electrek

Rumours persist Tesla are making a loss on every car they make. I doubt the same applies to BMW but who knows.
http://www.investopedia.com/article...-losing-money-each-time-it-sells-car-tsla.asp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom