BMW in the mix to buy Saab!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
So, finally the "European car manufacturer" has been "named" that are one of the interested parties to pick up Saab from the administrators.

A "Large German manufacturer based in Munich" (BMW) it would seem are looking to develop a FWD chassis and as Saab's Phoenix platform was already configured to accept a BMW engine (a deal Muller did with BMW before bankruptcy) and the production line is set up for this, it would seem a smart move for them. Word coming through from the latest Administrator's press conference say that if successful, (BMW) would aim to resume production of Saab, develop new models and also build (BMWs) at the Saab factory.

Won't pop the champagne just yet, but it's interesting news...

The other parties that we know of so far are:

Mahindra, Youngman, Brightwell (Turkish), and a "Swedish consortium".

That had crossed my mind....not a good record there...

But at least Saab are already in administration. Rover were at least still a seemingly viable company. If bm do buy Saab I can't imagine it would be just to remove a competitor as Saab are already sunk. I wonder whether it is a bm attempt at doing a vw/Audi - have a seat/skoda for bm. I would love to see a bm built/ designed Saab.
Jon

A "Large German manufacturer based in Munich" (BMW) it would seem are looking to develop a FWD chassis

...so like MINI then?

Twas rumoured that BMW bought Rover solely to get their hands on Honda's production technology an integral part of many of the Rover products/production lines of the time.

I'd go with that. What I heard at the time was BMW lacked expertise in building small FWD cars economically - knowledge Rover had in spades. The aquisitation of Land/Range Rover technology was an unexpected bonus they hadn't forseen. The LR tech allowed them to walk away with a quid in their pocket.

Audi have become the new BMW. BMW now need a new Audi. Saab were always poised (there or thereabouts) to fulfil that role. Whether BMW can pull it off or whether it requires an owner independent from the percieved to be arrogant German marques remains to be seen.
Saab's USP of being iconoclastic is already severely battered. Can BMW restore it?

...so like MINI then?
BMW are looking to build a larger FWD car, so Saab's Phoenix would be more ideal than stretching the MINI platform (from what I've been reading just now...)

Here's a few advantages for BMW as seen from an insider:

"Why might BMW want Saab?

It gives them a credible front-wheel drive brand (for vehicles bigger than Minis) that means they don’t have to dilute the Ultimate Driving Machine aura surrounding their own branded vehicles.

Saab still have access to a clientele that BMW would like to reach – educated, upper-middle income earners with enough automotive awareness to realise that rear-wheel-drive isn’t always the best solution for the situation.

Victor Muller’s quip about getting Saab for the price of a wind tunnel was true and whilst BMW might have to front up a little more in cash terms, they’d still be getting a full car company – from design to delivery – for an absolute steal.

Saab has technology that BMW would probably like to have access to. Phoenix, for starters, and the work being done by e-AAM would be nice to get without the premium licence fee they’d have to pay as a complete outsider, too."

Does sound intriguing....

I, as a Saab fan (as well as MB!) would love to see this, but I'm so jaded from all the circus and rumours of the last year or so, that I do find it a little too good to be true.... at the moment...

BMW have a good tradition at preserving a marque. Range rovers and Rolls Royce stick out. Saab and BMW make a decent car, this is excellent news

BMW are looking to build a larger FWD car, so Saab's Phoenix would be more ideal than stretching the MINI platform (from what I've been reading just now...)

Here's a few advantages for BMW as seen from an insider:

"Why might BMW want Saab?

It gives them a credible front-wheel drive brand (for vehicles bigger than Minis) that means they don’t have to dilute the Ultimate Driving Machine aura surrounding their own branded vehicles.

Saab still have access to a clientele that BMW would like to reach – educated, upper-middle income earners with enough automotive awareness to realise that rear-wheel-drive isn’t always the best solution for the situation.

Victor Muller’s quip about getting Saab for the price of a wind tunnel was true and whilst BMW might have to front up a little more in cash terms, they’d still be getting a full car company – from design to delivery – for an absolute steal.

Saab has technology that BMW would probably like to have access to. Phoenix, for starters, and the work being done by e-AAM would be nice to get without the premium licence fee they’d have to pay as a complete outsider, too."

Does sound intriguing....

I, as a Saab fan (as well as MB!) would love to see this, but I'm so jaded from all the circus and rumours of the last year or so, that I do find it a little too good to be true.... at the moment...

And... the British government sank quite a lot of money into Rover while trying to keep BMW on board. BMW dropped Rover when the government's finance deals all dried up. I am fairly confidant that in the current climate in Sweden a BMW rescue deal will include generous government contribution (directly or through reduced taxation).

Saab have an enviable image in comparison to BMW. Most people buy BMW despite their perception of the brand. Not many people actively want to be thought of as *****ers without indicators in an arrogant rush.

finisterre said:
Saab have an enviable image in comparison to BMW. Most people buy BMW despite their perception of the brand. Not many people actively want to be thought of as *****ers without indicators in an arrogant rush.

Not so sure. I think as brands go far more people would rather have a BMW over a Saab. BMW Mercedes and Audi are all much more desirable cars.

I agree Steve. But Saab do have an interesting demographic of fans and with BMW credibility behind them, just might stand a chance of a come back. But it's very, very iffy I would say and would require a LOT of financial input, for a long, long time before any fruit would appear...

But, I for one would buy a BMW-Saab if it ever happens and they produce a nice convertible.. :D

Not so sure. I think as brands go far more people would rather have a BMW over a Saab. BMW Mercedes and Audi are all much more desirable cars.

That is the thinking of the aspiring to a German marque person. Those who don't feel the need to prove anything throiugh their choice of car may well prefer a more discrete offering from Saab. Ditto those who don't follow the herd. Let's face it - more 3-Series sold than Mondeos in the UK.

Well BMW started life as Rapp Motorenwerke making aircraft engines and later as BMW in the Second world war and SAAB originally had aircraft manufacturing roots so will this turn out to be flying in close formation :) or an unavoidable mid air collision:(

CHOCKS AWAY!

Which gives a hint as to the problem BMW faces going forward here at least - a very successful small executive car which must be close to saturation, and the danger that by being so predominant it ceases to be aspirational, or worse, becomes a cliche.

VW Audi spread their development over four mass market marques, and with such differentiation that should you tire of one, the other three might still keep you with the VAG family.

Intriguing to see what happens and what they make of it.

Bellow said:
That is the thinking of the aspiring to a German marque person. Those who don't feel the need to prove anything throiugh their choice of car may well prefer a more discrete offering from Saab. Ditto those who don't follow the herd. Let's face it - more 3-Series sold than Mondeos in the UK.

It's probably more akin to how the majority of European car buyers think. The superiority of the german car product shines through. Indeed in Car magazine as much as they said the Saab was characterful it was bettered by the BMW 5 series in every single way. Saab need to produce excellent cars, and none of the recent offerings are remotely in this field sadly. BMW will provide the expertise to get them making class leading cars.

I note you see so many 3 series BMWs about but after driving one I know why, they are most excellent cars. The badge IMHO is just a bonus.

I believe this could be a good mix, however the recent history with Saab and BMW's position with Rover will make people feel nervous.

Saab is too small to be truly independent - that's been proven. Saab with BMW's backing could be a very interesting proposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom